Merry Xmas... Who is/was the most improved player/pair?

Discussion in '2007 Tournaments' started by jimbo, Dec 3, 2007.

1. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Indeed, as ye333 mentioned, they are just stable this year, managing to improve their gameplay, but, in terms of results, only a slight improvement from 3 to 4 titles.

In terms of overall improvements, I would think that the Japanese pairs deserve the praise.

2. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman

but to be honest :D:D
    in term of ranking, our KKK/TBH
    fit this topic most
    coz they are nobody in 2006 (of coz KKK is with CCM)
    but when they partnered in end 2006
    they became world ranking #1 in less than 1 year
    so who fit the title most??
    of coz their inconsistency failed them :D:D:D
    by losing to lower rank players...

3. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    ok.sorry boonsak.i was not aware of ur achievements this year.

4. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    WS : Wong Mew Choo (for breaking the CHN wall at their own ground), special mention also to Tine Rasmussen (for doing the same in Japan), inspiring WMC and other non-CHN WS players to do the same ......

MS : No winner, Boonsak/Wacha surprised in some competitions many but didn't maintain their form, LD/LCW had their ups and downs, the rest are pretty much par for the course.

XD : INA pairs, now tilting the balance of power against the supposedly mighty CHN. But Nova/Lilyana esp. must be more decisive at critical moments. Almost had heart attack :eek: when Nova/Lilyana let slip 4 game points in HK Final 1st game and allowed the CHN to come too close in the decider ..... no wonder Hauge ran away at the closing end .....:p:p:p

WD : Still the year for Yang Wei/Zhang Jiewen, reunited to retake World title, though now team orders have limited their progress. Special mention to Vita/Lilyana for winning CM super series (the only non-CHN super series victory) and Chien/Cheng, most stable non-CHN pair.

MD : No clear winner. By title, it would have been the year of Koo/Tan and Cai/Fu. Yet INA have turned up where it mattered most, Kido/Setiawan winning the World title and finished in good form. And the oldies (Candra/Tony, Choong/Lee and Lundgaard/Eriksen) can really spoil parties ..... not to mention kungfu and samurai warriors from TPE and JPN. We will know more come 2008.

5. badMania

badMania Regular Member

All of us groaned when Nova served to the net so many times (I counted at least 3-4 times) in the first set :mad: I would think that Flandy/Vita are still more stable than Nova/Butet, although they have been beaten twice in recent matches. Nova/Butet suffered from uncharacteristic first losses to He/Yu, Clark/Kellogg, Sudket/Saralee, and Lindley/Rayappan :cool:

6. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

My vote goes to PSH of Korea, who overtaken LHI spot to become #1 MS in Korea this year. Not to mention he also upset the world #1 twice out of 3 meeting, namely LD.

7. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Agree. His progress is what I would call 'breakthrough'.He has also beaten BCL and stretched LCW and TH.He has become the MS that the top ones have to play their best to prevent an upset.

8. V3i HoN6

V3i HoN6 Regular Member

If WMC is mentioned so many times, where is Tine then?
    I think she did very well too.

And Yippy is improving a lot too.

9. nwy5633

nwy5633 Regular Member

Student
    you can see their progress based on ranking too..
    WMC from last year 16 up to 8th now!
    Tine onli from last year 13 up to 11th which saw her lose her lead over WMC..
    Yippy did very well too.from 18th up to 9th..but her performance is less impressive compare to WMC..

10. shocic

shocic Regular Member

seen WMC has become legend,but i am glad she has great performance too, here one again support WMC!!

11. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Looks like many voters voted for WMC, the Japan MD, the Taiwan MD, ParkSH, and the world champion, Setiawan/Kido.

WMC has had a great yr by beating 3-4 CHN players enrouting to win the China Open. Doctors confirmed that she was playing with broken toes :eek: and that was the reason she was the first round casualty in HK Open. Yes, she has improved, but NOT impressive.

Tine was the only non-Asian WS to win SS. That's very impressive but she was a no show in podium after the fairy tale in Japan Open. Yes, she was impressive but ONLY on ONE tourney.

ParkSH played very well and crushed the Super Dan in China Open. He has overtaken LHI as Korean No.1 MS. Kudos... improved... but was NEVER a semi-finalists in SS.

Boonsak won the Singapore Open by beating LinDan and ChenYu. Since then, he was early round casualty. Not impressive enough...

Wacha??? I watched few of his matches. Sorry dude, he doesnt have those skills (deceptive shots, lethal smashes, etc...). Gade is still the best player from Europe though age is catching up on him.

Taiwan MD pair suprised everyone when they beat KKK/TBH and was a semi-finalist in HK Open. Throughout the yr, they did pretty well, but NOT good enough to win my vote :p

Japan MD pair was among the most improved MD pair by beating KKK/TBH on two occassions :eek:. ParkJooBong is the coach and was one of the best double players ever played the game. No doubt about that. This pair seemed to jinx the KKK/TBH but was NO match to other pairs, namely INA and CHN pairs.

And here is the winner, the world champion and HK Open winner, Setiawan and Kido. In 2006, they were hardly on par with Fu/Chai or KKK/TBH. However, they turned the table on these two formidable pairs and won few SS tourneys. Very impressive, most improved pair and deservedly world champion of 2007!!! Hopefully Kido/Setiawan will carry this superb form going for OG08. I hope they win... INA Boleh...!!!

Disclaimer: The above analysis is for "entertainment" ONLY :D

12. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

2006? KKK/TBH were only formed before AG 2006, they only played Japan Open & AG in 2006, so no comparision.

As others have already posted, Kido/Setiawan mostly maintained their ranking. They already beat Fu/Cai in 2006 to win China Open, in 2007 they beat Fu/Cai again not that big thing for them.
    Just KKK/TBH seemed to jinx them.
    Same thing that noone voted KKK/TBH, they were most improved in 2006(from nobody to winners), not 2007.

13. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    XD - Sudket /Saralee..
    Their form were poor in the beginning of this year. But charge back strongly towards the end of SS... :eek:

14. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    so WMC & Tine does have an equal point to share : IMPRESSIVE ONLY ON ONE TOURNEY . A one time wonder..

15. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

16. perunce

perunce Regular Member

WMC did progress much in this year, especially in the China Open, i am quite impressed by her performance. Sad that she cant continue her victory in the coming Sea Games due to injury. I hope she wouldnt be the One Time Champion too, looking forward for her achievement in the coming year 2008. Of course i vote will go to WMC, jia you!

17. AlanL

AlanL Regular Member

QS
    Is for her to prove that she is no one shot wonder. With people like Tine, we should crack the Great Wall!

18. Tommy Susanto

Tommy Susanto Regular Member

Kendrick Lee for winning the Dutch Open:cool::p:D;)

19. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    he did ?
    where ?when ?againts who(in final i mean)?

20. edwin

edwin Regular Member

Computer Programmer
    most improved WS

Like everyone, I say Wong Mew Choo is the one who has improved the most in WS.

A player who deserves an honourable mention is Zhu Lin. It was a huge suprise and accomplishment for her to win the World Champion when both Zhang Ning and Xie Xinfang played in it.