Medical timeout and gamesmanship

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Justin L, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

No need to provoke me, cut the pretence,you know who they are, and others do too.

2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Yes, extreme nationalism is a disease, a dangerous one, many ultra-nationalists don't realize they are made use of to serve the cause of crooked politicians and the powers that be for their self-interests (national interests, whose?), even misled into going to war and die for them, for what ?

gelopisan likes this.
  3. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Yes the chinese players i refer to is Chen Qingchen, Jia YiFan, HuangDongPing, Li Yinhui since we are talking at that context of medical timeout. of course two players are also They. unless you are the one who think its the whole national squad.Its clear enough in that sentence.

and yes, chinese players like Li/Liu, Lu/Huang they are good and potential - they dont do that and they dont have to. Never did see Bao/Tang did that during the glory past too.

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Oh, stop it, don't give me that. Medical timeouts are or were taken by various players across all nationalities, not only the Chinese, and certainly not only by the four you mentioned. You obviously have a personal agenda in stubbornly going on in this stupid manner. Grow up and get a life.

5. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

So why do you write such general fluff and offer to name names? Do you know how much research that would entail? Frankly, I doubt there will be that many names because it must have one criterion : the fake behaviour must occur to break the rhythm of opponents on a roll. If you can't do it, don't offer to do so in your post in future otherwise you may lose credibility .

6. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Brother to the rescue?
    Sure, your knowledge of non-badminton sports is impressive. I don't know about NBA/NFL but I recall seeing in volleyball they have timeouts, to change players, (anytime?) and players expect that, so they are trained to be interrupted ( anytime?) In tennis, players who call for injury timeouts when their opponents are on a roll, risk losing fans and having a not so good reputation.Also, the injury actually gets treated by a physio, there and then.
    However, in badminton, do we have injury timeouts as a norm? Mostly we see delay tactics that may last up to a minute, mostly to get a breather ( Superdan comes to mind, especially when playing LCW, the mopper would be working overtime.) but unlikely to break the opponent s rhythm. And the alert umpire would be aware of it. Like how often the player asks for it.
    However, in a medical timeout, there is no way the umpire can tell whether it s fake or real. Except to be on the safe side , the umpire must give the player the benefit of the doubt. And such occurrences last minutes and there may be no treatment at all but the player continues play.
    Now can you imagine, if every WD, for the fun of an experiment , takes a medical timeout in every WD match..

7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Hogwash and trying to bait me. What a joke. First, what is faked injury? Who determines it, the tournament doctor or you ? Second, what fake or genuine behaviour will or won't affect the opponent's rhythm? If it does not, then fake injury is all right?

C'mon, I credit you with more intelligence than that. And be honest with yourself, there are several cases of players from any nationality who have medical timeouts, you know it and those bums know it? Why should I do the search for you ? Cut your pretence,I know what you're driving at.

8. aulia

aulia Regular Member

student
    wow, this could be longer than the thread about the tournament itself. barring any bad accusation about country, i think it's actually could be a good new thread to be opened, about players who like to delay, or having sportmanship in almost every matches. things like that. perhaps, when everyone can provide a good proof, we all can learn that they're (the player) not a saint, yet not so dirty to be hated that much as well.

nilesh123 and gelopisan like this.
  9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

The reason why I'm reluctant to name names is not because I don't have them, it's just that I've nothing against the players, apart from the hassle of searching for all the details.

If you insist, I give you one, @pjswift - Tee Jing Yi , go find out yourself, when, what happened. Another case, two players were supposedly retired injured during a particular Sudirman Cup group match. Next day, they were playing again. There are more but I'm not going to be drawn into it.

Don't be mean-spirited and pick on certain players of certain nationality. If you want to hold CHN players to the highest standards, do the same across the board for players of any nationality,or you are just a dastardly hypocrite practising double standard.

Actually, the subject of medical timeout is no big deal if not for some sore loser hurling malicious accusation at two CHN players and pretending nobody else does it. Frankly, Yoji's related offending posts are so inane and exasperating, in addition to being fallacious, that they don't merit a proper debate with him. Heck, I shouldn't even dignify him with a response and let the moderator deal with him appropriately. In fact, my initial reply to him was mild and subdued until he escalated the issue to the contemptible.

10. shreyas666

shreyas666 Regular Member

chief mis-information officer
    calm the calamities that is your mammaries!

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    She used the rules to delay the game, get herself a yellow card and disrupt her opponent. You cannot say she deserved her yellow card as that is exactly what she planned herself to get. Remember, a yellow card is only a warning. A player loses no points for a warning.

The gamesmanship principle employed by Marin is exactly the same outcome as the example of Sun Yu's pertained injury versus Marin.

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    This is why I ask for statistical evidence. Observational evidence and extrapolation can lead to erroneous conclusions. If you have exceptional observational skills you still can't completely convince your doubters. Especially on a conclusion of systematic gamesmanship by the Chinese team. This is why we have the science of statistics to support inferences and as you rightly point out, back some of our discussions with reference to videos of matches or what people have written in the past.

I remember the walkovers by the Chinese when matched against each other. Previously, there was lots of discussion on it. Limsy's statistical analysis was exactly what was needed for the game as hard evidence.