Mathias Boe Is A Sore Loser

Discussion in 'Denmark Professional Players' started by Normal, Dec 20, 2014.

1. phalanx

phalanx Regular Member

I don't see Boe be punished for his behaviour by BWF since he is danish and there aren't many high level Europeans in Badminton.

Also saw other danish player with bad behaviour. Looks for instance at Sandra-Maria Jensen at the World Championships. She gave back the shuttle always in a very disrespectful way and was called by the umpire for that.

#101 phalanx, Dec 22, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  2. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    The second he brought a person's race into the argument, he opened himself up to being accused of racism. If he had said "When you go back home, get your eyes checked" then what he has done is acted poorly and he should be punished for that anyway.

Was his comment intended to have racial implications? Probably not. Will it be deemed to be a racist comment? Of course it will, and that's his own fault. Some may not deem it racist but in today's global society, there is no reason to mention race.

There is a fine line between gamesmanship and poor sportsmanship and these two walk that line more than any other pair in international badminton. The older they get and the lower in the rankings they drop, I fear it will only get worse.

3. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

No sorry I put the line at the right place, see the rule
    9.1.5 the whole shuttle shall be below the server’s waist at the instant of being hit by the
    server’s racket. The waist shall be considered to be an imaginary line round the body,
    level with the lowest part of the server’s bottom rib

But yeah lol I am not even going to bother posting a pic of Boe's serve height, it is stupidly higher than bottom rib.

It is illegal but importantly as I said earlier, is beside the point because that was not the complaint by bo/mo which is the discussion at hand. Below not regarding your quote.

With regard to the rest of his serve the rule states
    9.1.4 the server’s racket shall initially hit the base of the shuttle;

They say initially because they know they know in most shots that the feather hits the shuttle as well. Most shots are "double hits" in badminton. But it is allow and LYD takes advantage of this second hit by slicing through the feathers causing it to rotate much faster and lose stability.

Plus what Boe said was racist in my eyes. You can't just pick any country because of the Colour of skin and tell them to go home there. So he told a Sri Lankan to go back to India. It's the same as telling a black person to go back to Africa or an Asian to go back to China, regardless of there nationalities or ancestry.

4. madbinton845

madbinton845 Regular Member

Can you genuinely see him talk the same way and say the same words to lets say a german or english umpire?
    I can't. Thats cause he is undermining one race over another. and thats why he come across as a racist.

5. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    I've not given my personal opinion yet so not sure why you are picking apart my comments.

We've seen him talk to umpires disrespectfully for years, this is just a new low. It seems like in every competitive match they play, they are warned about their conduct. For what it's worth I think just by mentioning a race, he has made a discriminatory comment.

The BWF should hit them as hard as sports like football, a fine and suspension.

6. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    I won't comment on whether he has crossed the line of racism or not but he has talked down to a German umpire before on the TV court. It was Klaus Schlieben iirc. Unfortunately the circumstance then both danes were not as fired up about it. But I still think it was extremely disrespectful to address the umpire by his first name with a raised voice.

7. phalanx

phalanx Regular Member

Was this at Denmark Open 2013?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=vk5s_hEyofE#t=1527

I think they know each other - also the umpire Schlieben called Boe by his first name. But this was a strange situation since there wasn't a fault.

8. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Yeah. I'm sure there are umpires and players that know each other personally off court given that they're all touring together and see each other domestically and internationally year after year but there should be a line between personal and professional relationships when on court. Plus other umpires do address other players they clearly don't know by their first names occasionally on court(of course they don't sound as comfortable as they do it) but usually not the other way round.

9. madbinton845

madbinton845 Regular Member

i'm sorry , you have a point. so why is he getting away with it for so long? should the srilankan umpire fire a complaint agaisnt him?

10. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    That is honestly beyond all of us. If the main court officials don't take it up to the head tournament officials then nothing could be done. But the way he's verbally berated umpires and service judges before in the past until now...I'm surprised nothing has been done still.

11. aiexrlder

aiexrlder Regular Member

on the topic of serving, was just watching LYD serving. I noticed that he gets ready to serve by placing the head of the shuttle on the strings, then moves the hand holding the shuttle forward and hits with no back-swing at all, anyone else seeing this too? Quite tempted to try this to see why he serves likes this.

12. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    If the Sri Lankan official makes a statement, then BWF has to do something.

If he doesn't make a statement ( quite possible), then it will be up to BWF. Definitely a case for the BWF president to show a proactive response. If they don't investigate, then it will be a big negative for BWF.

14. phalanx

phalanx Regular Member

Can't see any hit on the net.

15. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

True it is blocked from our angle but i did see the net move. Anyway this is why Klaus called fault for sure. MB wouldn't shut up long enough to hear the umpire explain so umpire stopped trying called game.

16. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    I would think that a public complaint that he made a racist remark on BWF network television, should warrant an investigation, and hold him accountable for his utterances. Considering the different races world wide watching the matches, all athletes have to be aware that they represent the organization.

17. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

I think without a punishment and public apology, it is actually much worse for Boe. His future matches would be filled with officials who are biased against him. If he were wise he would quickly issue a public apology.

18. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Making a racist remark on court is a very serious matter.

Making a racist remark against a BWF official warrants an immediate action by BWF.

19. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    GCR Players' Code of Conduct
    PART III
    SECTION 1A
    APPENDIX 4
    PLAYERS’ CODE OF CONDUCT

4.1.1 During any match or at any time while within the precincts of the site of an BWF sanctioned tournament, not conducting oneself in an honourable and sportsmanlike
    manner.
    4.11 Audible obscenity
    Using words commonly known and understood in any language to be profane or indecent and uttered clearly and loudly enough to be heard by the umpire or spectators.

4.12 Visible obscenity
    Making of gestures or signs with the hands and/or racket or shuttle that commonly have an obscene or offensive meaning.

4.15 Oral abuse
    Making a statement within the precincts of the tournament site, directed at an official, opponent, spectator or other person that implies dishonesty or is derogatory, insulting or otherwise abusive.

4.17 Unsportsmanlike conduct
    Conducting oneself in a manner that is clearly abusive or detrimental to the sport.

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Giving a bigger fine is OK, if the umpire awards the card. BWF needs to give a reminder to the qualified umpires about where to draw the line and that service judges can refer to the tournament referee who will then talk to the umpire. After all, service judges are also qualified umpires.