Mathias Boe Is A Sore Loser

Discussion in 'Denmark Professional Players' started by Normal, Dec 20, 2014.

1. biomik

biomik Regular Member

One of the reasons why nothing comes up with the Google search is there was nothing racist in somewhat rude words of Boe. Should he be punished, banned for it? I say no, as long as his samples are clear from steroids. If some of the people who fume about 'racist' Boe and sign petitions to BWF take a better look at themselves they might be surprised by what they see.

2. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

How is it not racist to tell someone of dark complexion to 'go back to India'? Since he wasn't from India, it's clear that he doesn't know him and has no idea where he's actually from, so it's not just a more personal version of 'go home'.
    I can agree with you in the sense that that slightly racist remark is not the main issue, though - the issue is that he is not paying any attention to the fact that the service judge clearly doesn't want to talk to him and continues to harrass him. That is not okay.
    It's never, in any real sport, okay for the athletes to behave like bullies, and even less so when they go and bully the officials. Those are there to enforce the rules and govern the matches, and the athletes not respecting them leads to them not following the rules - and that can't be accepted. Boe and Mogensen have gotten away with their little games for a long time, but this is the second time Boe has blatantly disrespected a court official, and it has to stop. Mogensen is at least keeping his misbehaviour to gamesmanship and trying to influence the service/line judges from time to time, which is not nearly as big an issue (but should be stamped on by umpires at all times!).

3. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

No, as biomic says, that was not racist. He got the country wrong, but what he really said was what you also clearly picked up: go home and get some new glasses. Glasses being the important thing here, not where home is.

Moe is not racist towards people from India. He plays in the IBL and has had a India girl friend for quite some time.

He shouldn't have said it. But really. Racist? Ban the pair? C'mon...

Someone mentioned "trying to affect line-judges". I see lots of pairs/players doing this, and I don't think Boe/Moe is anywhere near the worst to do so, if at all. I mean the desperate shouting of joy and cheering "Soooo!" when you hit a shot borderline to being out. In fact I think that ladies double pairs are the worst to do this. From no particular country (have seen both Chinese and Japanese players do this, others as well).

Boe here goes over the line AFTER the match, so it's clearly not to intimidate the judges. During the match he didn't approach the service judge to intimidate him. It was after the match.

4. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Exactly. He harrassed the official after the match, serving no purpose, and did so in an incredibly disrespectful manner. He's like a 6-year-old throwing a tantrum and insulting his Mom who denied him his favorite candy at the supermarket.
    Also, just because he has an Indian girlfriend he can't go and throw remarks like that around. It is a bit racist, just like when someone tells a black person 'go back to Africa', when they might come from anywhere else as well...telling an Asian 'go back to China'....it's all the same, generalizing people based on their complexion. As I said, for me that's not the issue here, it hardly even enters the scale compared to the whole incident, but you can't say it's not racist at all. It's also pretty stupid to argue that fact by mentioning his girlfriend - if I had a black girlfriend and called someone the N-word, it would still be racist. The girlfriend just doesn't factor in at all.

The influencing line judges was my last post, and I mentioned it at the side, and it should not factor into a decision on whether or not to punish this pair (or Boe in particular) for this incident. They are not amongst the worst when it comes to influencing line judges, but they are when it comes to influencing service judges. They almost always approach them when they get faulted, and often criticize opponents' serves.
    I remember the 2011 French Open when they tried their usual antics and the umpire shut them down completely, it was a brilliant match to watch as a result - next to no gamesmanship, and almost pure badminton. That's the way it should be - players playing the game, not discussing this call or that, taking their little breaks because they're out of shape or trying to throw their opponents off balance by taking a ridiculously long time to serve. I'm actually surprised Boe's opponents dont complain more often about that crazy service of his.

Anyhow, back to the point - I believe Boe should be punished for that temper tantrum of his. A ban for the pair might be a bit harsh, but doing nothing implies the BWF is okay with players harrassing their officials like that.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Featherblaster

I disagree that the comment Boe made is not racist. Having personally been on the receiving end of similar comments of racist nature in my past, the spoken content is severely out of order. It was appalling that he said it. That may not mean he is a racist but the comment will have a racist meaning to those who have been close to such unfortunate experiences.

Again, it is not justifiable to bring Mogensen into the post match comment. That is just ridiculous and it is not valid to penalise a team on solely one individual. Those calling for Carsten to be penalised for a post match comment and harassment by Boe are letting emotions cloud clarity of thinking.

I agree with Jackie's first paragraph and part of the last paragraph. Boe should get some punishment for a) racist remark, b) post match intimidation of an official, c) bringing the game into disrepute. Maybe something else I missed but those are the obvious ones. If there is any punishment of Boe, it is quite clear that Carsten should still be able to play with any other partner if Boe is unavailable.

Boe was lucky that the official was passive - I have seen fights start for less justification.

#205 Cheung, Jan 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  6. visor

visor Regular Member

It's been a while since I last watched this match and the end where they walked to the stadium exit. But iirc, the service judge was accommodating Boe's complaints as they walked for a while, with Boe's arm around him, but reached a point where he decided to turn back or away from Boe.

It was at this point where Boe uttered those unfortunate words that were recorded for posterity. At this point, the official probably didn't even hear what Boe said, but the world heard what he said. Maybe it was in the heat of the moment or whatever, but Boe has to be confronted by BWF for this and he has to publicly apologize for it.

7. Boodey

Boodey Regular Member

Attached Files:

#207 Boodey, Jan 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  8. wahchai305

wahchai305 Regular Member

Interested to locate video to this incident please

Being a volunteer official, I hv a deep interest in viewing this incident. Would be grateful if u or someone gv me a link or source to the above. Best if video is unedited nor "processed in any way"; but then...beggars can't be choosers!

9. visor

visor Regular Member

Starting at time 1:01:20.
    Yes, the official did turn away before Boe managed to utter those unfortunate words.

http://youtu.be/TOxNOa-yZJ4

10. wahchai305

wahchai305 Regular Member

> Interested to locate video to this incident please

Thanks for following this up for me.
    His action is borne out of frustration at his/partner non performance.
    There can be no excuse whatsoever to approach a court official regarding
    calls made within a match. Take it up through your national body with the
    relevant governing body. What he did was plain wrong.
    Diminished his standing in the world of badminton.

11. Mr. Epic

Mr. Epic Regular Member

Student
  12. clawhammers

clawhammers Regular Member

.... Life quality ??

:mad:

13. sh_shashi1

sh_shashi1 Regular Member

Student
    Lets all take on him in twitter .

14. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    Yeah all of you who use twitter please do so, I won´t start using twitter since it probably lowers your life quality LOL

15. george333

george333 Regular Member

Associate Director
    And now he's not on the national team anymore. Suits him right. I feel sort of bad for the other players who got kicked out though.

Maybe Boe and his teammates should have checked their glasses before signing their sponsorship deals.

16. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Or maybe you shouldve informed yourself about the situation better - the players had signed their contracts first, and agreeing to not endorse competitors is absolutely normal in a sponsorship contract. Regardless of my opinion of him, I feel bad for him as well because this was a really crappy move by the Danish team.

17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
  18. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    Great humor :D

19. visor

visor Regular Member

^ Gotta admit that is indeed irony... even though like j4ckie I do feel bad for his current situation.

20. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

Boe and Mogensen are picked for the Danish squad to European Games, despite the ongoing cookie war...