Matches that you wanted to watch but they never happened

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by Sundis, Jul 31, 2021.

1. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    I hereby start a thread where everyone can list the matches they would have wanted to happen but they didnt. Maybe in a particular tournament you wanted to see 2 players/pairs face each other but one of them fell just short? Or your favorite player lost in a tournament and never got the chance of revenge again? You cannot say you wanted to see for example Lin Dan vs Morten Frost because that would have been impossible as they played in different eras.

I start first:
    In 2012 olympic games I was really wanting to see Cai/Fu vs Jung/Lee but it never happened because Jung/Lee lost in the SF.

In 2013 Tien Minh Nguyen won a really close match vs Jan O Jorgensen. Since then they never ever played each other again. I always secretly wished for a re-match but Jorgensen retired before it could happen

I may add some more matches when I come to think about it but lets hear some other members stories about the matches they wanted to watch that didnt happen.

rhoder likes this.
  2. Swaraj Lakshman

Swaraj Lakshman Regular Member

Was the Jorgensen's match the same one which had those draining rallies ? If so, then that was one spectacular match.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Nine Tailed Fox likes this.
  3. Woesi

Woesi Regular Member

Probably a very unusual choice, but I would have liked to see Chai Biao and Hong Wei in the 2017 WC final to play against Ahsan/Saputro.

Chai/Hong is probably my favorite MD pair (with CB my favorite MD player) and I would have loved to see them getting a chance to win the WC title against a rather beatable pair, Ahsan/Saputro.

Ending their career with a WC title would have been the best way to exit, maybe it would have given them the motivation to continue playing for a few years. They looked fired up when they defeated Gideon and Sukamuljo in the QF and were playing with a smile on their face against Zhang and Liu in the SF, at least they lost to the eventual champions and managed to get a bronze medal

Nine Tailed Fox and Sundis like this.
  4. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    Yes that was the match, NTM won 22-20 in G3 after Jorgensen saved 4 MPs to make it 20-20, the rally starting at 18-20 had 108 shots. Wierdly enough they never played each other again after that.

Nine Tailed Fox likes this.