Match between Lin Dan & Peter Gade

Discussion in 'Thomas/Uber Cups 2004' started by jeffreyk, May 17, 2004.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    That's a really good point. Many would capitulate when given a yellow card.

Lin Dan was totally non-fazed out. He played on as if, "so what I'm going to win anyway!" and proceeded to do so. It was awesomely impressive.

That's why I think this guy is going to win the Olympics. (he'd better do or else I'll have to eat my words). :eek:

Even Mag agrees with me about the psychological tactics :p

2. huijun

huijun Regular Member

engineer
    Yes! I know what you mean.... :D. If you ever watch Denmark open 2003 MD final, you can see Candra and KDM argue with the umpire about serving too early. But I think KDM usually delay the game purposely... :rolleyes:

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    actually, it puzzles me why some players gets so ticked off when given a yellow card (again, no names here... ;) ) . a yellow card is meaningless in tangible terms. there is no rally lost, no fault, no nothing. just a flashy looking card. why get so ticked off over it? it is all psychological, the ones who are weak in mind somehow cannot fathom that.

4. sunzhi

sunzhi Regular Member

yes i agree lin dan's yellow carded ws a right decision, in the early 1st game, lin dan has already been warned for nt returning peter's serve despite being ready for ages... he wasnt tired at all, he was 'jogging' around the court after winning long rallies...

on lin dan's mental strength, thr's no doubt about it.. though looked dissastified (look at his mouth :)), he wasnt bothered at all...

on the shuttle change, maybe lin dan has better reason refusing peter's request and i believe it did affect peter psychologically.. he wasnt too happy with the umpire's decision for not allowing the change and mid way thru the 2nd game, peter approached the umpire showing him the shuttle eventhough lin dan has agreed to it (huh, protesting???)... the umpire responded saying he has NO objection and will allow any change of birdie as long as BOTH players wr agreeable...

something not shown on tv , according to friends who wr in senayan, it was peter who 'started' the fisting incident - he ran to the net and raised his fist at lin dan after a hard smash in the early game 1 (is it true folks who watched the match live??)... lin dan did apologize on another body smashed at 8-6 or smthing....

on indonesian not using dubious tactics, are you sure??? werent they the master of tricks since the era of tan djoe hock, tjun tjun, thn ade chandra???

#24 sunzhi, May 18, 2004
    Last edited: May 18, 2004
  5. huijun

huijun Regular Member

engineer
    ha ha....I don't konw who tan djoe hock is...etc. I think I am still young........ :p. In All England final, Lin and Peter also have the argument about changing shuttles or not. But at that time, it is not as worst as in Thomas Cup. I think maybe this is the start of war between these two players.

6. sunzhi

sunzhi Regular Member

hehe.. i dont knw them either, thts what i heard frm my folks who are also badminton fanatics... btw, tan djoe hock is the 1st indonesia AE champion (in 1959??).. tjun tjun won 6 AE doubles titles (with johan wahjudi) and making into 2 othr finals... as for ade chandra, he is the partner of the legendary doubles spec christian hadinata (the existing indo coach)

7. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I was watching the Thomas Cup qualifying final between Malaysia and China. Lin Dan and Lee CW were arguing about the same thing. I thought it was CW who started it, but now have second thoughts. I saw CW shaking his head smiling a few times.

During Lin's and Peter's match, I also heard from the commentator (Star Sports Singapore) that the Danish manager approached the referee about Lin manipulating the shuttle after he got a new one from the service judge, apparently trying to slow down the shuttle. Sure enough, from the TV I can see him ruffling the end of the feathers a bit. Don't know whether anyone else saw this.

8. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Indeed. Like I've said before, Lin Dan is the complete badminton player you will find today. That definitely includes a strong mind, and knowing when to use grey area tactics and when not to use them. Gade is a true sportsman in the old-fashioned meaning of the word. It was correct of Lin Dan to assume that his behaviour would annoy Gade. In short, it was good tactics, used at the right time. I don't think it won him the match, but it was probably a factor that contributed.

9. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Having said that, if Lin Dan indeed DID manipulate the shuttle in order to have it changed (which remains to be proven), that's a clear rule violation. That's not grey area tactics, that's just plain old cheating.

10. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    A thousand opinions, a thousand schools contend. Who is to say who is right and who is wrong? I would venture to say nothing of the sorts.
    Request for changing the shuttle is only made by a player who thinks a change in shuttle will be advantageous to him. If a player feels he is on a winning streak he will not want to change the shuttle, even if the shuttle is obviously in need of replacement, for the simple reason that you don't buggle up a winning streak. Likewise, if a player is on a losing streak, he would want to stop the rot, and requesting for a shuttle change upsets the opponent's winning momemtum. Players who use these sort of strategies use their brains to gain an advantage. If a player becomes visibly upset by such brainy moves, then he will never be a great and complete player. This is Bao CL's greatest weakness : he is too nice a fellow and incapable of controlling his opponent's mental temperament. In contrast, Lin Dan seems to manipulate Peter Gade's emotional state.
    I saw Lin Dan smoothing the shuttle feathers, but temper with them he did not. You have to bend/snap the tip of the feathers backwards to slow down the shuttle, and this Lin Dan did not do. Have you considered that this might have been a bait to upset Peter Gade? It did not appear to affect Peter-maybe Peter saw the trap- but his coach was hoping the umpire might reprimand Lin Dan. Remember there were service line umpires to the right and to the left who saw Lin Dan's smoothing of the feathers. I think we should take their word for it. Remember, the Thomas Cup matches are not goodwill games.
    Tan Joe Hock, together with Ferry Sonneville and Eddy Yusoff were the progenitors of Indonesian badminton, and of Master Tang (The 'Thing'), Hou, Yeung Mei Leung, Rudy Neo (now known as Rudy Hartono). Eddy Yusoff was a brilliant strategist who could change the course of a game by, yes, changing shuttles at crucial moments. Eddy Yusoff carried this to its most extreme : he would squash a perfectly good shuttle at the cork without being caught.

11. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

-

Right, I think Gade and Taufik are perfect suckers for this type of manipulation.It wont work with teammates eg.

Jonassen wouldnt fall into this type of trap.Players are studied for their behaviour and emotional state.That's the element of mental toughness.

12. BTC2004

BTC2004 Regular Member

Court manners

Badminton should not take after tennis, with real bad attitude players. I think China coaches should caution Lin Dan to cool it. He is an excellent player, but must also gain the publics respect. Sorry I am not 4 bad attitude, gives badminton a bad eye.

13. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I don't think badminton players, including the likes of Lin Dan, are as disrespectful towards umpires and line judges as tennis players. Contrary to what you imply about Lin Dan's not earning any respect from the public, I believe he is one of the most, if the the most, respected badminton player today. I do not share your opinion that Lin Dan has bad attitude. He does not heap abuse at the umpire, the line judges or even his opponent. He is merely being extremely competitive.

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Has anyone ever seen a player badmouthing an umpire?

Hmm, did Taufik do it in TC 2002? I think he protested but didn't insult anybody. It just added to the atmosphere, especially when he came out and played even better (although losing the match eventually)

Agree with Taneepak, it is being ultracompetitive and part of the psychological battle.

Mental toughness is part of the game....

15. sunzhi

sunzhi Regular Member

i dont think lin dan has attitude problem.. he shows great respect for the umpire and line judges even if he is dissatisfied with their calls, he continues playing without making much fuss.. what he has done in this match might not be 'gentleman' enough bt hey, thts part of the game.. he used tactic within the permissible grey area...

as to lin manipulated the shuttle to have it changed, that was a claim made by peter and wsnt proven... the denmark team manager approached the referee (right after peter's claim) to have him paid more attention to lin dan's handling of the shuttle bt again, thr ws no fault on lin's part.. we cant see much from tv broadcast hence it's nt right to sentence him with things he didnt do.. he is innocent till proven guilty.... personally, i doubt he will ever do such a thing as he is soooo confident, thrs simply no such need.....

16. New_Guy04

New_Guy04 Regular Member

Taufik did in that match 'sort of' bad mouthed the umpire. on the service of the 5th set, the umpire gave taufik a point for the birdie touched lee ts body, but then took the point away. then taufik, looked away and shook his head with this really dirty expression... not really bad mouthing, but just enough to let everyone know how he felt about the umpire.

17. SmashingBird

SmashingBird Regular Member

Student, Badminton-student
    RICHMOND BC...ne hot girls from richmond that play
    Everyone would of done that, even Lin Dan no matter how calm he is...thats like basically taking a point away from you.