MAS Team to Scotland

Discussion in 'Sudirman Cup 2007' started by tjl_vanguard, May 16, 2007.

1. champion8

champion8 Regular Member

congratulation to Anita Kaur and Tan Wee Kiong on their inclusion in the Sudirman cup. I am sure they will contribute positively to the team and I feel their inclusion is justified.

2. tjl_vanguard

tjl_vanguard Regular Member

Student
    me?? BAM officer?? i wish... so i can get inside information hahaha.. but sorry im not.. well, its kinda obvious tat the lineup will be that way.. i got one wrong btw.. fairuz is not going.. took over my khe wei's regular partner, wee kiong... :D

3. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    i really really hope fairuz-zakry will be included.There are something about them.i dont know what but i know they are special

4. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

I think its way to risky to send only one pair MD and still expect KKK to play in XD and at the same time MAS also sending one WD and also expect WPT to pair KKK in XD....its totally unrealistic and dangerous to rely to much on these two players...poor thing....MAS have a lot of good MD...i dont see any problems sending one more pair MD..??????? Just look at Indon dan CHN they send about 19 - 20 players but MAS only 9 - 10 players...?

5. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Yes maybe, after they over spent in last year WC in Madrid? :D:D:D

6. rwchen

rwchen Regular Member

I have the feeling that Malaysia does not take Surdirman Cup that seriously. They place more importance to the upcoming World Championships and Olympics qualification. The rationale for including Tan Wee Kiong and Woon Khe Wei is to make sure that they will earn points and qualify for Olympics while the omision of Fairuz is to let him concentrate in men double so that Fairuz/Zakri will get a seeding at the World Championship. I think the move to just bring a 10 persons team is a bit risky (If there is no limit to the number of players), there is not much room to plan the strategy.

7. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    I think MAS should send at least another MD

8. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Looking at the news in the papers, Malaysia is not going to be too concerned how they fare beyond the semis. I think Sudirman is not a top priority compared to the World Championships or the Olympics.

9. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    madrid is a lesson for malaysia.i think being smashed by malaysian press and get foreign insinuation will not easily be forgetted by Bam.But at least they should send two doubles lah.Just depend on kkk-tbh???think it again.plez BAM.of course i believe in kkk-tbh but we need back-up right?

10. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    Thats sad even China finally sends 16 players...

11. tjl_vanguard

Student
    seems like MAS doesn reli bother so much bout sudirman cup.. just tat they set a semi final appearance target just not to get their A** kicked again...

12. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    Anita lost again to Korean player.....honestly I have not seen she had played well yet...may be Julia wong should be considered to be included in MAS team

13. tjl_vanguard

Student
    i reli dun understand why is she included???? lydia and julia is DEFINITELY better!!!!

14. kenny7_2006

kenny7_2006 Regular Member

Working student...
    actually, is there any rule that limits the number of players per country to a certain limit, so and so?

MAS are taking a big (but calculated) gamble by inly bringing 10 players, but i think barring injuries, they should do the job just fine... heck they have LCW, WCH, KKK, TBH, WMC...

15. vellin

vellin Regular Member

Undergraduate student
    Bam only send 10 players?? I think it's too risky. China will send 16 players while Ina will send 20. If Bam only send 10 players, it's hard for malay to be in the final.:crying:
    I really hope that LWW/CTF will be included. Of course I believe KKK/TBH will perform well. But how about if one of them suddenly got injured???
    Hope that it won't happen. But I still think they will feel tired if Bam only send them for MD.

16. Chu Liuxiang

Chu Liuxiang Regular Member

If any of KKK/TBH got injured, then Wong CH will play MD. WCH played in MS, MD, XD in Commonwealth Games team events.

17. champion8

champion8 Regular Member

i think at this point there is no purpose to discuss why Malaysia only send 10. It has been decided.

Lets hope this strategy works well for us at least to the Semi Fnal target.

18. teabag

teabag Regular Member

i write.
    I believe the decision on Anita was decided after she thrashed Julia at Pahang's finals just a couple of weeks ago. Anita is very talented by the way, she just hasn't emerge on the international scene as much as Julia has, I think its because Anita took a break after juniors before moving up to seniors, she was malaysia top junior player back then.

As for Lydia, Lydia has world juniors in July, so BAM wants her to focus on that as been reported :)

There is no limit on how many players a country can bring with them to Sudirman Cup, but only 10 names can be submitted before each game. Though China and Indonesia are probably the only 2 countries bringing more than 10 players.

Inside info has revealed that Malaysia's target is just a top 4 spot at this year's SC, which is why it doesn't matter who they send for XD, cos they know it is highly unlikely any msia XD combi can take on China, England or Thailand's XD which are all in the world's top 5! So the inclusion of the junior XD pair is simply to help them earn points for Olympics 08 and for exposure of course.

BAM probably saw no point in bringing another pair of men's doubles because if either kkk or tbh gets injured, wch will play the MD; and BAM must have worked out during training that either wch-kkk or wch-tbh is good enough to take out Thailand and England's MD which is enough for them to reach their top 4 target.

#78 teabag, Jun 2, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2007
  19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    If I were the team manager, I would simply look at my squad to assess it strengths.

Do I have chance to win with the team at full strength?

If not, what is the best tactic after that? Get points for the WC/Olympics or give experience to some junior players or a mixture of both?

After that, cost issues come into play. What is the value of sending more players who will not get a chance to play or have chance of injury? Sudirman cup played in Scotland may not have the same pressure cooker effect of Asian tournaments so the learning experience of just being on the team bench is probably not as great.

Sudirman cup is traditionally not a strong tournament for M'sia until more women and XD can consistently enter the s/finals of SS tournaments.

20. hcpoirot

hcpoirot Regular Member

Maybe, but playing in Sudirman Cup also give you Olympic points. So if your team can move to final, your team will play 5 matches, and the team can play as many players as possible to gain points.

Not to mention usually points for team events quite high. A win in SF or final will give you points equal to Super series SF or final points.

Thats why China bring all their aces players to Sudirman Cup.

Not to mention that Malaysia had a very big chance to enter final if they had full team and not 10 players like now with a very inexperienced MX pair.