MAS team for the Thomas Cup Qualifier

Discussion in 'Thomas / Uber Cup Prelim 2008' started by samuel882, Jan 16, 2008.

1. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    alfa..i expected u to be happy with arif.seems i was wrong.

Give arif a chance to shine.he is at ranked 96th.bcoz hes not a team member of a big tournament yet.we just want to give him an OPPURTUNITY.

2. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I don't think it's a matter of favouritism. If we must go according to rankings, then there would be a handful (LTS, Roslin, Sairul, don't know who else) before TCS.

TCS has already been involved in Thomas Cup before (if I recall correctly), so I guess maybe it's a baptism of fire for Arif this time.

Come the Thomas Cup Finals, I don't think Arif will be sent as the competition is very serious.

3. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

True, a chance to prepare Arif, in case others become unavailable in the future. Expose everyone. TCS would have to rank better and would probably be called on in the future.

4. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Yes, I can hear the roar.:D How can Malaysia lose ?

5. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Thats the spirit bro! :)

6. alfa-2

alfa-2 Regular Member

Architect
    This is even absurb, cos TCS is ranked higher he doesnt deserve to play in the qualifiers? what's this? I thought the best will be chosen to represent our country, not someone who has lower rank.:cool: think deeper........it's not that hard actually.

7. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    Theres a place for Tan Chun Seang.some other time.im sure.

We wont waste him.At least not when Fans are complaining about his invisibility in thomas cup qualifier this early.

8. Noridayu

Noridayu Regular Member

Childcare Teacher
    To X Ball

Dear X Ball,

I hope that tiger of Malaya will continue to roar as we had won the first game against Philipines 5-0. Malaysia Boleh!
    Thank You.

Best Regards:
    Ayu

9. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

There are no tigers as fierce as the Malaysian tigers.:)

10. Noridayu

Noridayu Regular Member

Childcare Teacher
    X Ball

Dear X Ball,

Definitely, Malaysia tiger is the best. Let's hope that the players will not take things lightly as it will effect their confident level especially near to All-England.

Best Regards:
    Ayu

11. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Hcyong already given the other reasons, along with Xball's elaboration.
    It's not TCS doesnt deserve to go, it's only qualifiers, if you want to think, think of TCS as over-qualified(among the back-up).
    TCS will get to go SS, maybe even feature in TC finals as reserve.
    BAM sent 2nd tier players & back-up players to 2007 SEA Games as exposure.

Rashid Sidek did state bf that Arif not qualified yet to play in SS/major tourneys, needs to improve & learn how to play among top guns 1st.
    Among the back-up, Rashid rated only TCS is near anywhere to LCW's level - this is this year, after Arif promoted to back-up.
    Whatever it is, Arif was best MS among BJSS players, he does have the potential.

Of course, I know which reason you mean, one cant say it in open forum, too sensitive. It was also obvious in the way the malay press cover news on Zakry/Fairuz.

#91 eaglehelang, Feb 20, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  12. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    I dont think this is related to bias stuff.
    lets work for Badminton.for nation.for malaysia.

Tan chun Seang will be recognise.Thats for sure.

13. eaglehelang

[SIZE=+1]The Star Online > Sports[/SIZE]
    Friday February 22, 2008

Women face must-win situation against Singapore

PETALING JAYA: It will be a do-or-die mission for Malaysia when they face Singapore in the quarter-finals of the Uber Cup qualifying tournament in Ho Chi Minh City today.

And Julia Wong has vowed that the women would go all out to keep alive their hopes of qualifying for the Finals, which will be held in Jakarta from May 11-19.

Yesterday, Wong Mew Choo led Malaysia to a 4-1 win over India to emerge as Group D champions and set up a meeting with the Group B runners-up Singapore, who suffered a 0-5 loss to South Korea.

The win over India did not come easy for some of the players.

Mew Choo had to toil for 44 minutes to beat Saina Nehwal 15-21, 22-20, 21-17 to give Malaysia a flying start yesterday.

Julia, however, put up a solid display to beat Trupti Murgunde 21-10, 21-12 to give Malaysia a 2-0 lead.

Malaysia chose to field the experienced Anita Raj Kaur instead of Lydia Cheah but the former failed to live up to expectations when she lost 9-21, 24-26 to Aditi Mutatkar.

The women doubles pairs of Chin Eei Hui-Wong Pei Tty and Lim Pek Siah-Haw Chiou Hwee delivered the last two points in contrasting fashions.
    Eei Hui-Pei Tty won in straight game while the KLRC Bhd players dropped a game.
    Julia said they had a fighting chance against Singapore.

“Our hopes of qualifying for the Finals is gone if we lose to Singapore. We need to make it to the top four to make the cut. We are encouraging each other to give our best tomorrow,” said Julia in a telephone interview from Ho Chi Minh City.

“I will probably play against China-born Fu Mingtian in the second singles. I am going all out for a win,” she said.

Said chief coach Yap Kim Hock: “The quarter-finals will be closely contested. We are hoping to win points in the first singles (Mew Choo) and first doubles (Eei Hui-Pei Tty) but we have a fight on our hands in the other matches.”

Mew Choo, the world No. 8, is expected to take on Xing Aiying (world No. 39) while Eei Hui-Pei Tty are set to face Jiang Yanmei-Li Yujia.

#93 eaglehelang, Feb 21, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  14. eaglehelang

from The Star

Scratch combination put Malaysia in the Uber Cup Finals
    By RAJES PAUL

PETALING JAYA: One is a Commonwealth Games champion while the other is a world junior champion. Yesterday, the senior-junior scratch combination of Lim Pek Siah and Ng Hui Lin brought joy for Malaysia.

Pek Siah and Hui Lin, who are playing as a pair for the first time, nailed the winning point in Malaysia's stunning 3-1 win over Singapore in the quarter-finals of the Uber Cup qualifying tournament at Ho Chi Minh City yesterday.
    With their win yesterday, Malaysia are virtually assured of a place in the Finals which will be held in Jakarta from May 11-19.

Today, Malaysia will take on Japan in the semi-finals.

Even if they lose, Malaysia should make it to the Finals by virtue of being ranked higher than Scotland, the fourth-ranked European team.

The Badminton World Federation (BWF) had made a ruling that the fourth-ranked Asian and European teams in the qualifiers would be decided on their overall world standings.

Yesterday, though, Malaysia got off to a jittery start.
    The hope was on Wong Mew Choo but the China Open champion went down fighting 20-22, 19-21 to China-born Xing Aiying.

The defeat, however, did not dampen the spirit of the Malaysian camp as Chin Eei Hui-Wong Pei Tty put Malaysia back in the fight with a 21-16, 21-17 win over Jiang Yanmei-Li Yujia.

Julia Wong lived up to expectations by putting Malaysia 2-1 up after a superb 21-10, 21-12 win over Fu Mingtian.

Malaysia pulled off a surprise by fielding Pek Siah of the KLRC Bhd and Hui Lin, who won the world junior mixed doubles with Lim Khim Wah and the duo did not disappoint when they clinched the winning point with a sensational 21-17, 21-15 win over Yao Lei-Sari Shinta Mulia.

Julia was ecstatic with the women's achievement. It is only the second time that the women had qualified for the Finals on merit.

“I was a reserve when Malaysia first qualified for the Finals on merit (in 2004). But today, I contributed one point in Malaysia's success. It feels great,” said Julia in a telephone interview from Ho Chi Minh City.