MAS team for the Thomas Cup Qualifier

Discussion in 'Thomas / Uber Cup Prelim 2008' started by samuel882, Jan 16, 2008.

1. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    Indra Gunawan was no longer in KLRC since last May ( due to cancer)....he is back to Indonesia.

2. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    really??
    i extends my condolences.i was not aware.
    hope he will be back to his career.

hafiz is really in trouble.
    who is his coach now?

3. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    yup.no tournament at all.i tend to miss kkk a lot.i mean a lot.
    hes back on training for ho chi minch's action.

things are good for the partners.just hope they'll perform.

4. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    If u miss KKK then watch his old matches lor.. then you will not miss him.

5. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    I hope he will get well soon. He deserves to retire in good health for what he had done to Indonesian and Malaysian badminton.

6. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    the latest news about Indra is that he is not doing so well. :( He has been a great coach and contributes alot to INA and Msia badminton. I'm sure the players who was under his guidance missed being coached by him. We will definately hope that he will get better soon. If can't coach.. it is still good to see him watch badminton in the stadium.

7. jaccobs

jaccobs Regular Member

Indra has been coaching in Malaysia for quite somt time, hasn't he? Since 2000? I wish him all the best.

8. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    his only hopes when he's with us here in malaysia is to win thomas cup.get a pic with dr. mahathir n siti nurhaliza.

now,i hope we can do something to realize some of his dreams.

9. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

from The Star
    19 Feb

Badminton: Kim Hock sets lofty targets for men and women in qualifiers
    By RAJES PAUL

PETALING JAYA: It will only be considered a successful outing for Malaysia in the Thomas-Uber Cup qualifying tournament if the men emerge as the champions and the women qualify for the Finals on merit.

But, on paper, it looks easier for the men than the women to make it a double joy for Malaysia in the Asian qualifiers, which begins today in Ho Chi Minh City.

The Malaysian men will swing into action tomorrow when they take on the Philippines and Cambodia in their Group A ties.

The women, meanwhile, will begin their campaign against India in Group D on Thursday.

In the absence of defending champions China and Indonesia, who will host the Finals from May 11-19 in Jakarta, there is no reason for the Malaysian men not to emerge champions.

Their only stumbling block will be South Korea, who are powered by the resurgent Lee Hyun-il.

National chief coach Yap Kim Hock said their priority was to improve the players’ individual world rankings.

“The target for the men here is to win one of the four slots for the Finals. But the main concern is for the players to improve their world standings,” said Kim Hock in a telephone interview from Ho Chi Minh City.

“Currently, the Malaysian men’s team are ranked fourth (behind China, Indonesia and Denmark) and we want to be seeded second at the Finals in Jakarta.

“The tournament is also important for several of our men’s singles and doubles players as far as collecting Olympic qualifying points are concerned. This will be an extra motivation for them to win all their matches.”

World No. 2 Lee Chong Wei will lead the men’s team. The others in the team are Wong Choong Hann, Mohd Hafiz Hashim, Mohd Arif Abdul Latif, Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong, Choong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah and Mohd Fairuzizuan Mohd Tazari-Mohd Zakry Abdul Latif.

Seasoned campaigner Choong Hann, Hafiz and Fairuzizuan-Zakry are the ones determined to strengthen their bids to qualify for the Beijing Olympics.

Kim Hock said the women, led by China Open champion Wong Mew Choo, had a fighting chance of making the top three. (Only the top three nations get automatic berths to the Finals.)

But even if Malaysia were to finish fourth, they could still have a shot at making it to the Finals.

“Scotland are the fourth-ranked team in the European Zone. If Malaysia finish fourth here (at the qualifiers), we will make it to the Finals because we are ranked higher than the Scottish team,” said Kim Hock.

A new Badminton World Federation (BWF) rule states that only one of the fourth-ranked teams at the European and Asian Zones will make it to the Finals based on their overall world rankings.

“But I want the women to look beyond that. I want them to try and reach the Finals on merit,” said Kim Hock.

Malaysia have to beat India tomorrow if they want to avoid facing South Korea in the quarter-finals.

If they can do that, they should meet Singapore in the last eight.

Malaysia’s likely semi-final opponents are Japan. If they lose to Japan, they can still qualify for the Finals as their third-placing playoff could be against either Hong Kong or Taiwan.
    The only time that the Malaysian girls have made it to the Finals on merit was in 2004 – but that was achieved on home ground.

10. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Yes, definitely a great guy if I hear one. He deserves better. Wish him well.

11. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    thank u eaglehelang.im looking for this info.
    im sure MAS will make it to thomas cup n Uber cup.
    for men team,finish at 4th is good enough,isnt is??im sure they can do better than this.

just want to see our players there.
    can they play well??
    especially the younger one.in my book,its arif.

12. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Arif is a very good athletic player. I think he will be the next generation player, taking over from LCW. I think he will shine in this qualifier. All the best to him.

Malaysia will not tolerate if it is anything less than 1st in the Qualifier Tournament. If it doesn't happen, then it would be hard to go on from here.

#72 X Ball, Feb 19, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  13. Noridayu

Noridayu Regular Member

Childcare Teacher
    To Malaysia Bc members

Dear members,

I am a true Malaysian supporters. I believe that we will qualify for the finals in Indonesia. All Malaysia supporters,lets join hands together and shout "Malaysia Boleh".Malaysia players make the country proud of you. Tiger of Malaya ready to roar.

Thank you.

Ayu

14. eaglehelang

Little sis, no need to look for the info. Just go to : www.thestar.com.my, www.nst.com.my, www.utusan.com.my for the reports every day during this qualifiers.

On Arif, Misbun already commented a couple of times...

19 February 2008
    NST

Badminton/Thomas Cup Qualifier: Failure is not an option

By : K.M. Boopathy

MALAYSIA look a cut above their rivals in the Thomas Cup qualifying round which begins in Ho Chi Minh City today, so anything other than a place in the final will be deemed a failure.
    Malaysia, the top seeds, have listed their best squad save for young Arif Latif, who is being given a chance to gain experience and exposure as a singles reserve, and everything points to a likely showdown against South Korea in Sunday's final.

Lee Chong Wei, Wong Choong Hann and Hafiz Hashim make up the singles line-up while the doubles will have Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong, Choong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah with Zakry Latif-Fairuzizuan Tazari as reserves.

Four teams will qualify for the finals in
    Jakarta on May 11-18 and Malaysia
    should have little trouble being one of them.

However, as singles coach Misbun Sidek has urged, the players should think beyond the qualifying campaign and look to the All England in
    Birmingham on March 4-9.

Misbun has warned the players not to take the qualifier for granted because should any player lose, it could affect his form in the All England which comes only 10 days later.

He said the players need to win in
    Vietnam
    and then maintain or improve their form.

In
    Ho Chi Minh City, Malaysia are in an easy Group A with Cambodia and the Philippines, who they play tomorrow, and Taiwan
    , who they meet on Thursday.

Malaysia have a tricky match against either Japan or India in the quarter-finals but an upset is unlikely which means they qualify for the finals in Jakarta

But Malaysia still have the semi-finals to play in Ho Chi Minh City and their likely opponents should be Thailand, and a win will set up a a showdown with South Korea

For the Uber Cup, Malaysia are in Group Z with India and both teams qualify for the last eight regardless of the outcome of their match on Thursday but the Malaysians will be looking for a win to avoid second seeds Korea and instead play Singapore in the quarter-finals.

A win against Singapore will most likely pit them against favourites Japan in the semi-finals which will not see them qualify for the finals as only three teams go through, so Malaysia's chances hinge on the third placing playoff

15. eaglehelang

For those interested about seeing Arif in action :
    http://www.utusan.com.my/utusan/info.asp?y=2008&dt=0219&pub=Utusan_Malaysia&sec=Sukan&pg=su_05.htm
    Utusan Msia, 19 Feb, "Peluang Arif buat penampilan sulung"

Basically, Yap Kim Hock said on Wed, Msia had to play 2X in one day, maybe all players will be fielded, where Arif has chance to play. It's because in the tie against Philipines & Cambodia, Msia is expected to win hands down, no matter which player is fielded (those from Philipines & Cambodia dont get angry, this is what was reported)
    If Arif is fielded is best chance for Arif to show his ability to compete at senior level.

We'll see what's the line-up tommorrow.

16. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    Predcitons for MAS Line-up

vs Cambodia
    MS1 : HH
    MS2 : WCH
    MS3: ARIF
    MD1: CHOONG/LEE
    MD2: ZAKRY/FAIRUZ

Vs The Philipines
    MS 1: LCW
    MS 2: HH
    MS 3: ARIF
    MD1 : KOO/TAN
    MD2: ZAKRY/FAIRUZ

17. alfa-2

alfa-2 Regular Member

Architect
    I dont know why they put Arif in action as he is ranked 96, while TCS is ranked 50. sigh...........politics, MAS team isnt going anywhere with this kinda management in BAM. sad.......and this favoritism over real performance isnt a new thing, happened so many times already.

18. eaglehelang

Arif is there as reserve only. I would hazard a guess that it's cos Arif wouldnt get to go AE or Swiss, his ranking still too low. TCS will go for SS. So, I guess if they had to choose only 1 player for qualifiers, they chose Arif.
    Since both are training under Misbun & both in Rashid's squad, favouritism shouldnt be the reason. If the player fail, reflects on Rashid & Misbun.
    TCS & Arif are now best back-up players. Chan KB is 3rd.

19. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    I said that bcoz its thomas cup qualifier.they will get better in Thomas cup.
    n peaked in beijing.the glory moment is in beijing.my hope.

n Arif,i hope he can learn from hafiz.never let go the fire inside u.thats create hunger to win n win.Hes a star in future

20. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    Eaglehelang,i mean to log on that website,read it,edit to find main points.
    then post it here..

i appreciate ur effort la kak.Thats all.