MAS team for the Thomas Cup Qualifier

Discussion in 'Thomas / Uber Cup Prelim 2008' started by samuel882, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Jessica

Jessica Regular Member

Student
    I understand now..Hafiz Hashim need some ranking points to achieve his Olympic Game dream but i think his chance is very slim.I really don't know whether i should put hope on him again or not.In my heart,i am still hoping he can buck up but i think i am very silly to have such thinking.

2. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    It is because BAM is very confident that HH win or lose will not affect the mas team in TC qualifying round.

3. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    How do you know that HH is not giving 100%?

Not that I am defending him, but I feel his problems are more mental preparation, one that he couldn't get out of.

Best of luck to HH at KLRC, I hope he finds what he was looking for. Misbun once ventured on his own to train in 1982, but that was because he felt the BAM training then was inadequate. Which was quite true, actually.

4. chin yin

chin yin Regular Member

Monday February 4, 2008
    Malaysian doubles rankings a guessing game for rivals

By RAJES PAUL
    PETALING JAYA: Malaysia could keep their rivals guessing over the next two-and-a-half months on who will be their number one pair for the Thomas Cup Finals in Jakarta in May.
    The current top two pairs are Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong and Choong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah at number three and number four in the world rankings respectively. The world rankings on April 24 will determine the order of the pairs in a team for the men’s world team championships.
    There are four major tournaments to the deadline and the ranking order of the top two Malaysian pairs could change.
    The four tournaments lined up for the two pairs are the Thomas Cup qualifying tournament (Ho Chi Minh City, Feb 19-24); All-England (Birmingham, March 4-9); Swiss Open (Basel, March 11-16); and the Asian Championships (Johor Baru, April 15-20).
    Kien Keat said that it really did not matter whether they were the first or second ranked pair in the team.
    “We were ranked as the world number one at the start of the year but we have dropped to third spot. It will be great to be back at number one,” he said.
    “The two tournaments that will make a difference for us as far as the rankings are concerned are the All-England and Swiss Open. We are the defending champions and we will lose points if we do not go out there and retain the titles.
    “But having said that, Boon Heong and I would not mind being the second pair because there will be less pressure on us. After all, Tan Fook-Wan Wah have the experience of playing as the country’s top pair in the Thomas Cup Finals.”
    Based on experience and recent performances, Malaysian can certainly count on Tan Fook-Wan Wah to shoulder the responsibilities as the first pair in the team.
    They emerged as the top performers in the World Championships and China Open last year by reaching the semi-finals. They also did well to reach the quarter-finals of the Malaysian Open last month. But both players are carrying injuries, making them unpredictable.
    If Kien Keat-Boon Heong can play true to form and shrug off their poor start to the year, crashing out in the second round of the Malaysian Open, they will certainly be the better bet as the team’s top pair.
    Malaysia can name Mohd Fairuzizuan Mohd Tazari-Mohd Zakry Abdul Latif, currently ranked 14th in the world, as their third pair. But for the last two Finals, Malaysia have named five doubles players instead of six.
    By having three pairs in the team, Malaysia may have a better strategy in their bid to regain the Cup they last won in 1992 in Kuala Lumpur.
    Malaysian fans will get a sneak preview on what to expect from the three pairs in the upcoming Asian Zone qualifiers.

http://www.thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2008/2/4/sports/20228631&sec=sports

5. vching

vching Regular Member

Student
    stop the HH bashing!!! He may perform bad at individual events but I still have faith in his team performance!

6. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    u have my support in this statement.

n in individual events,i believe we'll still have hafiz.somewhere in this recent dissapointing hafiz.he has a will to do more.i have faith on him.

7. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

But.....i still remember haw he performed in last TC ... QF..(i think)?.....it was bad..playing againts KJ....but LCW also performed poorly at time....:crying:

8. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

It was Semi Finals against Denmark. MS lost all 3 singles. LCW vs PG, Hafiz vs KJ, KBH vs Joachim Peerson.
    Msia MD fought hard to gain 2 pts, this was the tourney that CCM got the red card in match against JE/ML.( He he thanks to BC vid sharing, I finally got to watch this match recently.)

This is only qualifiers, come May, many things can happen.

9. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

i want monkey for 3rd singles please!

:D

10. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    its hard to even qualified into thomas cup if we dont have faith on our team.
    i mean all players.including the yoyo one.

11. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    but in qf,if we can still remember how hafiz made we proud of him again.
    he saves the last chance for malaysia to be in semis.thats the hafiz we are talking about in 2003.but as usual,he behaves as yoyo again in semis.

i hope this year,hafiz will realize how he can turn into that hafiz again n make it happen this year.in order to have that hafiz,i'll give him my support.

12. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Malaysia is not gonna win that Thomas Cup this year, period.

We may even have trouble beating Denmark or South Korea.

13. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

the animal monkey will lost very easily if he plays...
    bcoz he not enough bananas in vietnam,,,
    heheh...
    juz joking..

14. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    u havent see him in action.arent u??

15. ronnie14

ronnie14 Regular Member

this is so exciting :)

16. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    The Thomas Cup qualifier is not that interesting from MAS point of view. MAS should have no trouble making the last four and after that, the ties are inconsequential. The best teams may not be fielded whether on MAS side or opponent's side.

Now, the Uber Cup. That's the interesting one to watch.

17. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    I think we all facing the same dilemma when choosing 2nd MS for Olympic. Currently the 2nd MS can be Choon Hann, Lee Tsuen Seng, Roslin Hashim and Hafiz. Choon Hann should be the favorable one as he does have experience and still capable of putting up good fight against higher ranking players but in my opinion, Hafiz is the dangerous one and should be considered if he can stay focus. Now that Hafiz is under different stable, lets see how KLRC's coach(Indra Gunawan?) can take him to the next level. Will find out within this few months.

18. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    In the "slow" month of Feb, any badminton tournament/news is "exciting" :D

19. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..

..wait til the month of April, this yr...esp. if there is no controversy..hmmm:rolleyes:
    Oh wait, there's the local U.S. Nationals tourney up in NorCal in April..;):cool:

#59 ctjcad, Feb 13, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  20. jaccobs

jaccobs Regular Member

3rd singles is a lot of pressure judging from how our Malaysians fared in the last Thomas Cup when Kuan Beng Hong had to step up and take that honour. Hopefully, HH can do a better job this time.