Markis Kido/Hendra Setiawan -- the new Men's Doubles World Champion!!

Discussion in 'World Championships 2007' started by badMania, Aug 19, 2007.

1. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Tony/Candra IS NOT EVEN a Pelatnas pair. I doubt they can go to Olympics next year :cool:

2. badMania

badMania Regular Member

YUP, considering they NEVER WON against Tony/Candra. That victory over their senior pair had undobtedly boosted their morale and confidence. Coupled with that extraordinary win over CTF/LWW in the Semi-Final. They were 10-16 down in the first set and several game points down in the second set; only to take both sets in deuce :cool:

3. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Tony/Candra can represent Indonesia. If no credible second pairing emerges, I think Pelatnas will have no choice.

4. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Agree that Pelatnas MIGHT send them as an INA pair if the other backup pairs like Luluk/Alvent or AG/Joko still couldn't show any results this year :cool:

In the mixed, I think INA is pretty much settled with Nova/Butet, Flandy/Vita and perhaps Rijal/Greysia (if we are allowed to send three pairs :cool:)

5. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Luluk/Alven may stand a chance.

Quite tough to qualify 3 pairs. All 3 pairs will have to be in the top 4.

6. jason_kidd

jason_kidd Regular Member

IMO.....i was there watching the game between kido/setiawan and candra/tony. i still beleive that candra/tony lose the game 'purposely'. they didnt fight as hard as they were facing cai/fu in singapore open/all england. they just like enjopying themselves. other than that, candra and tony were just smiling and chating with others after the game. looks like they were telling the younger pair -- good luck and seize the opportunity this time!!! YEAH...fortunately they did!!! another point, they both from INA.. however, kido/setiawan are having the burden to compete in the tournament as they are representing INA . while in this situation, as a INA player for more than 20 years, candra/tony should realize kido/setiawan victory is more important...

7. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Comes across like an insult to MK/S.It's not that guaranteed to win against ctf/lww; in fact it was quite a battle with match possibly going either way. Against KOR MD in final, their victory 's convincing despite the scoreline.
    I have a lot of respect for them but Candra/tony, like TH, are just riding on the glamour aura ;anyone can beat them now.
    MK/S are deserving champions, don't take that away from them pls.

8. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    I admit I cannot beat Candra-Tony and TH... :p I suspect most BC members cannot beat them... :p

9. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    They can? :confused: Cool! I thought BWF has a rule that said that if someone have represented country ABC, then that person cannot represent another country within 2 years or something... And Tony have represented USA these last few years. Well I hope they don't use this rule then Candra-Tony can represent INA. That will be so cool...;)

The new regulation for the 2008 Olympics: a country can send 3 pairs maximum if the 3 pairs are ranked between 1 to 4 in the world. Mmm... there are other notes on the host country. I think they can be guaranteed at least 1 pair / player per category. I have not read the 2008 Olympics regulations for a while now. So I might be mistaken about this last point. But the rule about the 3 pair max is valid.

In the past, the regulation was not as stringent, it was 3 pairs max if within top 16 or something...

10. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Why don't you fill in the blanks? Anyone... in the top 10, 20 ,30...You be the judge.

11. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    ?!? What?

Unless there are BC members in the top 30 of World Badminton. I don't see how your last response correspond with my post? :confused: I just said I cannot beat Candra-Tony [which is a fact]. And I said I suspect most BC members cannot beat Candra-Tony... What do you mean by your last post? There are BC members who are in the top 10 to 30 in the world? Who are they? :confused:

12. kidosetiawan

kidosetiawan Regular Member

Student
    Kido!!! Man they are just my favorite now......Making me proud of their achievement....but they still have Olympics and All England to win and some more super series titles this season...hope they can achieve this and break through to become world no 1....However, its hard to see this pair beating Cai Yun-Fu Hai Feng of China and also Koo Kin Keat-Tan Boon Heong of Malaysia......in terms of skills they are more superior compared to our newly crowned world Champions

But I do hope they prove me wrong:cool:

13. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Is always hard to play against your own countryman with extra "juice". I think Tony/Chandra have past their prime and many of their points came from unforced errors by their opponents. You hardly see them able to use their smashes to kill the opponents deep into the round as compare to their title Olympic year. Kido/Setiawan may not be the best pair in world in ranking but they are the best in World Championship 2007, that's the fact!

14. shanisen3200

shanisen3200 Regular Member

Goldsmith
    where's sigit right now?