Manila Sea Games Day 3 Team Finals Results

Discussion in '2005 South East Asian Games - Badminton' started by ants, Nov 30, 2005.

1. Ningtyas

Ningtyas Regular Member

I don't know what really happen to Sony. Truly he played awfully, but I don't think he did that on purpose for whatever reason. Maybe he was just too nervous? He didn't use all the weapons he have in fighting. Indeed it was dissappointing.
    Our players (who commented on TV) often mentioning that for them playing for the nation is really different from playing in open tournaments. The burden is so huge. When they are expected to win, especially in crucial point, sometimes players become too nervous and make a lot of errors instead.
    Well I am sure that's the case with Markis Kidho, but don't know about Sony, though. Just give him more chance. :)

Indeed we do not have enough good MS players this time, and also WS and WD players. That's a problem the PBSI have to solve soon. Or else we will be left behind....
    Last night Sigit was full of praise with the Malaysian team, the BAM, how the MAS govt give full attention to improve their badminton, etc, etc. I guess there are unspoken words about our own poor condition.... Duh!

2. NPBC001

NPBC001 Regular Member

But too bad.. Taufik said he is not going to play individual match. Only team play he did. :D :D :D

3. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Sorry folkz, a bit off topic here..

Hehe, nothing surprising and really new with what Sigit said there. It's been a known fact for years and too bad there seemed to be very little changes. There have been quite a few *great* players who left PBSI for that "sole" reason and decide to *coach* in other countries, if not for their own personal & family's security for the future. To name a few Tony G., who left when he was still in his peak and now coaching in the U.S.. Then Mia A., Rexy M., Fung Permadi, Ardy Wiratama, and the list goes on and on...Ex-players with potential to be a coach...Some even are being "removed" for newer and younger coaches..
    On that note, i personally won't be surprised to see another current PBSI player retire soon and perhaps move on and follow the footsteps of Tony G. and Halim H. in the U.S??....Or maybe Sigit becoming a PBSI coach himself, say within 4-5 yrs??..hmmm, hehehe.. :p :rolleyes: :cool:

4. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator

becos.. the indo govt give poor attention on this sea games,

<b>mungkin presiden atau wakil presiden "tidak" bersedia ataupun meluangkan waktu "sebentar" menerima ataupun memberikan semangat kepada team sea game indonesia sebelum berangkat ke philipina padahal itu sudah merupakan tradisi sehingga mereka tidak bersemangat untuk bertanding, terbukti dengan rendahnya perolehan medali emas.
    <b>

please ningtyas trasnlate it in english ? :)

5. Sandy

Sandy Regular Member

not strange if Indonesia didn't have good WS & WD although WD still has given little challenge to top players.
    But it was different in Indonesia MS history, Indonesia isn't difficult to find young players in MS or MD. Regeneration in MS or MD did well, didn't have big problems before but now ???

6. taufik-ist

it administrator
    most best indonesia players are "talented" players, not produced by good training system

mightbe 10 or 15 years again... new susi will be born :) (from cloning system..he..he)

7. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Wow, i'm a bit surprised reading this...but this could be a valid reason also for the lack of success..

I will try translating it. Do you mind giving me the source??Is it from Kompas or JawaPos or another news source??..Anyway, here is the translation:

"..maybe the Indonesian President(SBY) or the Vice President(Kalla) "was not" willing to or reserve "a little bit of their time" to welcome or provide any support to the Indonesia's SEA Games contingent, before departing to Phillippines whereas it was already a tradition. Whereupon as the result, they were not enthused in competing, as proven with the low Gold medal counts.."

#27 ctjcad, Nov 30, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2005
  8. taufik-ist

it administrator

thanks CTJAD for the translation,

i don't remember... i saw it on tv , but it's true (valid) both president and vice gave the reason "busy"... alias tidak ada waktu karena acara sangat padat

9. Hoey Beltram

Hoey Beltram Regular Member

Thai girls play very well. perhap if singapore want to win gold next time they should 'import' player such as Zhang Ni, Goa Lin for next SEA Games.:rolleyes:

10. taufik-ist

it administrator

yeah don't import "outkast" players :)

btw congratulation on thai winning,

i heard that there's a thai wd player comes from royal family

11. badMania

badMania Regular Member

This proves to be the downfall of Team Indonesia! We have become too reliant on Taufik Hidayat, however, its of no use if the other singles are as weak either physically (like Sony, who can't last 3 sets) or mentally (like Simon). This does not bode well for the Thomas Cup next year. Both China and Malaysia can take at least 2 points off Indonesia from the singles department. We need points from both doubles and Taufik, which are obviously tough!

Malaysia's 3 singles are indeed formidable. They are now second in terms of quality, just below China's. Indonesia really need to blood young singles players like Andre Kurniawan, Faudzi Adnan, and Markus Wijanu. Start sending them to more competitions next year, otherwise the men's singles will definitely follow the path of ladies's singles since we do not really have any outstanding players currently.

12. taufik-ist

it administrator

yes... it's very dangerous...

i hope sony can improve .. but i don't expect simon more

13. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Strange...I thought I have read in Kompas that the President DID send off the Indonesian contingent for the SEA Games.

Off the topic of badminton, it must have been the worst SEA Games ever as far as I can recall. It is now the 5th day of competition and the gold medal count ONLY stands at 18. We used to be no 1 in the region (even when the games are held in other nations), but, we have slipped dangerously to 5th now, with Team Singapore just a couple of golds away.

Overall, Team Indonesia HAS FAILED in the regeneration of athletes in the two sports which offer the most medals: Athletics and Aquatics. We managed only 1 GOLDs in each sport. Not to mention that the one who got the gold for swimming is a 33-year old Richard Sam Bera, who has been competing in the games since he was a teenager I think. I thought he was already retired a few years ago! We have even lost our dominance in Pencak Silat, which is supposed to be Team Indonesia's gold mine and traditional sport.

It has been a sad week.....

14. taufik-ist

it administrator
    you can also find the news in http://www.jawapos.co.id

15. Ningtyas

Ningtyas Regular Member

thanks for the translation. It's rather cynical, isn't it.

I believe what Agum Gumelar said, "it's just a bad timing".
    The President couldn't do that because of that APEC schedule in Korea.

While Jusuf Kalla, well, perhaps he was just too busy with his Golkar schedule... I don't know.

16. madbad

madbad Regular Member

It's true that when you represent your country the pressure sometimes becomes unbearable. When I was growing up, the Indonesians always thrived on the pressure and forced their opponents into mistakes. I remember on more than one occasion Malaysia, with their poor mental strength, was the victim. It seems now that the tables have turned. Aside from Tuafik, the other men's singles players are truly suspect mentally. Even the doubles pairs cannot be fully relied on. However, I like Markis & Hendra and hope they can carry the Indonesian flag for a while.

Do you think the PBSI will learn from this and change their policy of exposing their younger players more to international competition? Or is internal politics going to bring it down and drag the wonderful Indonesian badminton along with it? Yes, truly sad, especially for the past greats to see this happening before their eyes.

17. Sandy

Sandy Regular Member

Big question is who are the future Indonesian players ?

In last selection for 4th single Thomas Cup, Andre Kurniawan, Markus Wijanu & Ari Yuli took 1st, 2nd & 3rd position followed Fauzi Adnan, Andreas Muliawarman, Sakti Kusuma and Alamsyah (I don't know the order 4th to 7th).
    2nd selection in Malaysia Satellite,
    Tommy Sugiarto lost to CHONG Li Qun (MAS) in 2nd round 8/15, 17/14, 15/4
    Andre Kurniawan lost to Yogendran KRISHNAN in Qurter Final 15/12, 15/13
    Markus Wijanu lost to Yogendran KRISHNAN in Semi Final 15/12, 15/5

PBSI has wasted too much time, money & player's talent with multiple promotion & degradation.

Andre Kurniawan was recruited to Pelatnas in young age and he won as 2003 Senior National Champions in junior age then he eliminated in 2004.
    He pulled again in to Pelatnas in after won 2004 Junior National Champions and promotion selection.
    Maybe this is first time in Indonesia badminton history, a player won Senior National championships earlier than Junior National Championships.

I just showed the time, money & talent wasting and I thaught that he wasn't trained by right coach before. Now his coach changed to Mulyo Handoyo, I hope better.

#37 Sandy, Dec 1, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2005
  18. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    I remember not so very long ago that PBSI used to get support/funding from private companies for the development of badminton, not to mention support (parallel talent development) from those private badminton clubs. During those times, I can bet that the best M'sian national players would even lose to Indonesian badminton club players who did not represent their country. We in M'sia used to envy PBSI a lot ... ...

Even now Malaysia's BAM still depends on Govt for majority of funding, not much support from private sector save for some sponsorship. And we still don't have parallel talent development coming from badminton clubs either. Maybe just the Sports School in Bukit Jalil ...

19. Ningtyas

Ningtyas Regular Member

I am not sure... as long as Sutiyoso is the PBSI's chief. He just want instant result and put unnecessary extra burden on players shoulders with his "result-oriented approach" and his "reward and punishment" thing. Huh. That military appraoch won't work! I hope he will be replaced soon by someone who really understand badminton.
    Please read this Kompas article (Indonesian).
    http://www.kompas.com/kompas-cetak/0508/05/or/1949663.htm

But let's hope that he will learn something. Just as someone mention, this is a good loss, a lesson to learn. If only they would like to learn...

20. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Haha, that's what you get with old school thinking. Young players these days don't respond to that type of strategy. If only the PBSI could understand the psychology of their players. Hmmm, perhaps that should be part of their mandate. Things weren't so complex in years past when players were proud to represent their country and would give their left arm to do it (not so good if you were a lefty). There were less distractions and in a way it made things easier for their national associations. These days, the national associations have to really work, and as PBSI found out the hard way, hard work is not necessarily smart work. Yup, you can't recoup all that poorly spent time and money. And all that talent waiting to be developed... is still waiting.