Manila Sea Games Day 3 Team Finals Results

Discussion in '2005 South East Asian Games - Badminton' started by ants, Nov 30, 2005.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Mens Team Tie

Malaysia Vs Indonesia

1st Singles

Taufik Hidayat bt Lee Chong Wei 15-13 , 15-7

2nd Singles

Hafiz Hashim bt Sony Dwi Kuncoro 15-11 , 15-4

3rd Singles

Wong Choon Han bt Simon Santoso 15-9 , 15-7

1st Doubles

Alven Yulianto Chandra/Luluk Hadiyanto bt Koo Kien Kiat/Chan Chong Ming 15-4 , 15-9

2nd Doubles

Choong Tan Fook/Lee Wan Wah bt Markis Kido/Hendra Setiawan 15-12 , 15-9

Winner MALAYSIA 3-2

Womens Team Tie

Thailand vs Singapore

1st Singles

Salakjit Ponsana bt Li Li 11-7 , 11-7

2nd Singles

Xing Aiying bt Monthila Meemek 13-12 , 11-2

3rd Singles

Jiang Yanmei bt Sujitra Ekmongkolpaisarn 13-10 , 11-7 , 11-5

1st Doubles

Saralee Thungthongkam/Satinee Jankrajangwong bt Jiang YanMei/Li Yujia 12-15 , 15-6 , 15-2

2nd Doubles

Kulchala Worawichitchaikul/Sujitra Ekmongkol Paisarn bt Liu Fan Frances/Shinta Mulia Sari 15-2 , 15-10

Winner THAILAND 3-2

2. Viper2005

Viper2005 Regular Member

Play Badminton Everyday!
    Wow, Taufik must be disappointed with the team loss.

I think Sony should of played 3rd singles instead.

3. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Yah, probably disappointed..cos he won't be competing in the individual MS event..so this is *the only* event that he will be competing in..

Hmm, regarding "Sony should have played 3rd singles instead", interesting, but the Malaysian team will probably stick with Hafiz to play him or use WCH. But Sony should've won his tie or at least force a 3rd set, cos by losing, it will add more pressure to the "inexperienced players" (Simon and Markis/Hendra) to even up or win it. Thing is, Taufik, Sony and Alven/Luluk are the "veterans" being used as the playing cards and def. being counted on to bring home the bacon. But surprisingly Sony wilted in straight sets?!?!. Perhaps he's saving a bit of energy for the individual event later?? OTOH, a bit of surprise to me that Alven/Luluk was able to beat KKK/CCM in straight set.
    Either way, whatever the reasons or excuses, the Indo Men's team just wasn't ready to go the distance... :p :rolleyes:

#3 ctjcad, Nov 30, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2005
  4. grEgOr

grEgOr Regular Member

CONGRATS TO THE MALAYSIAN TEAM!!!

Really happy that they won the gold medal, beating arch rivals Indonesia. Was kinda surprised to see Kido/Setiawan losing in straight sets though. they're really an energetic pair and would probably gone to a 3-setter..oh well, just comes to prove that experience DOES matter in team competitions like these. would be great if someone can post some pics??? thanks

5. madbad

madbad Regular Member

My God, if this was actually the case (which I doubt very much), Sony should be fired and never be selected for a team event again. I must think he was beaten by a better and more fired up Hafiz. If Sony can't get up for a INA v MAS match, he's got no hope. Don't you think INA v MAS is the pinnacle of badminton rivalry? Totally disappointing performance. :mad:

6. Pingo

Pingo Regular Member

How come Candra/Sigit didn't play?

7. Vtec101

Vtec101 Regular Member

Printing
    Yeah!!! The Thai girls won!! I wonder why Kulchala didn't play with her normal partner though. Too bad the men lost to Malay yesterday.

Congratulations to the Thai women's team!!!

8. blueagle

blueagle Regular Member

played better

No. Sony lost because Hafiz Hashim simply played better. i was there last night and Hafiz clearly was the better player. KKK/CCM, on the other hand, didn't play quite well. They committed a lot of unforced errors.

9. blueagle

blueagle Regular Member

i think Candra and Sigit should have played the 2nd doubles match. indonesia has better chances of winning the team gold if they played.

10. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Yes, I mentioned that myself in the other thread, but as someone else said, probably PBSI wanted to let the youngsters gain high pressure experience. To me, they should have started in high pressure individual tournaments like world championships before graduating to even higher pressure team competitions. Everyone knows the kind of extreme rivalry between INDON and MAS men's team since the late '50s.

11. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    If candra & sigit were there, indonesia will be too hot to handle. anyway, indo wanna give youngster some exposure.

12. TPA_AON

TPA_AON Regular Member

YEAH YEAH !!!!..
    Congratulations to Thai girls for very hard work last night ...

13. Ningtyas

Ningtyas Regular Member

Problem is, we do not have any choice. We are lack of MS players at the moment. You know, some media even disagree with PBSI's decision to field Taufik to SEA GAMES. But which other MS player if Taufik didn't play in the team event?
    Admittedly todays Malaysia have good MS players many more than we do. I think --even if they put Krishnan Yogendran as the 3rd MS player, they still will take the gold.

And I think PBSI have made a right decision with Sigit/Candra not playing in the SEA GAMES. I just hope Markis/Hendra become more mature and experienced after this. They still have a long way to go. They love to learn from their own mistake, so hopefully Markis/Hendra will do better in the individual event.

14. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Here's the funny thing. Wasn't it PBSI policy during the last SEA Games to send field their "future" players? This is an about turn fueled by, I suspect, the glitter of gold. You're right about them missing the opportunity to blood in young players to gain experience. I wouldn't worry too much about Markis and Hendra. They have improved by leaps and bounds this year. Just hope PBSi continues to support them. Men's singles is where the big, big hole (carter-like) is. If Simon Santoso is INA's third best player, I'm afraid their development system has let them down. Sony's always hot and cold. Who knows which Sony will show up on any given day. My point about Sony and EVERY player representing their country is that they should sweat blood for that honour. I think badminton players have become too individual because of the circuit they play in; many-a-time, they forget the pride in representing their country in a team event.

15. Sandy

Sandy Regular Member

I fully agree that PBSI sent Markis/Hendra instead of Chandra/Sigit.
    CTF/LWW is in good form, I think they are same level with Luluk/Alvent or Chandra/Sigit. Their matches always finish in closed score. Still posible CTF/LWW can beat Luluk/Alven (if Chandra/Sigit play).

The key of Malaysia winning is their MS is much better than Indonesia. They had a lot of good player in Single while in double are same level.

PBSI in many time failed keep & maintance their best junior players from national circuit especially in boy & girl single. They had good record and many time beat Pelatnas players. After recruited in Pelatnas, many of them had lack of experience & progress, they often lost to club players then eliminated. The new players was changed and same process was happened again and again.

I thaught training in club (big club : Djarum, Jayaraya & Tangkas) is much better for junior players than Pelatnas (National Training Centre).

16. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Sorry, just want to make a quick comment regarding Sony vs. Hafiz. Yah, probably so Hafiz played better yesterday..But IMO, i don't think Sony should have just given up like that in 2 sets. I mean, we all know what he is capable of and where is he ranked in the world. If he put his mind & heart to it, we know what he can accomplish. He has to realize, that the team was counting on him to give them a point. Plus he was playing in a "neutral" court, so there was no excuse he was playing in the "opponent's homecourt".

Anyways, what's done is done...just gotta move on.. :p

17. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

They(Candra/Sigit) *could have*, but agree also with another poster below, in a way, PBSI came to their senses and made the wise and correct decision by not fielding them... :rolleyes: :p
    Too bad their 3rd "ace", as in Sony, just wasn't ready and up to par for the day. He won against Hafiz, it's basically a done deal... :p :rolleyes:

#17 ctjcad, Nov 30, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2005
  18. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    first,

i want to congrat malaysia for gold medal,

i'm not sad , the most important thing, taufik did a good work, beating LCW... it felt good :)

i want taufik to participate in individual event,

sony and simon are not promising.

agree.... !

19. madbad

madbad Regular Member

It's a team event. The most important thing is to win 3 of the 5 matches, period. Any individual achievement in a team event counts for nothing if the team doesn't win. I bet Taufik is seriously disappointed that INA didn't win and probably couldn't care less about his win over LCW now.

20. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    yeah.. but it can add taufik's good head to head records on LCW,