Mandarin - Scarborough

Discussion in 'Mandarin Badminton' started by chubbzz, Sep 23, 2006.

1. chubbzz

chubbzz Regular Member

:O I was just looking at the Mandarin website and it turns out that they're going to be offering group lessons at the Chinese Cultural Centre which is in Scarborough. Which is WAY closer for me, meaning that these lessons are now actually a viable option for me.

Would anyone be able to give me an overview of what the classes are like and what they cover? Are they worth going to?

2. asphyxiate

asphyxiate Regular Member

Are you talking about group lessons? And which level?

3. chubbzz

chubbzz Regular Member

Yeah I'm talking about group lessons. (I'd love to go to private ones but they're currently not an option for me...) Well, the only levels for junior classes being offered at the Scarborough location are "Beginners" and "Beginner and Intermediate".

4. asphyxiate

Oh okay, well for Beginner and Beginner & Intermediate.. I will tell you now that there is very little difference between the two, and unless you are really lacking the basic skills (grip, basic footwork, clears, serves, drives, etc) then I suggest you don't take them. However if you are a beginner then the classes are pretty good I think, they're intense enough that they leave you sweating and improved and the coaches don't make it too hard. So if you want to, I say go for it :D.

5. chubbzz

chubbzz Regular Member

Oh I see, thanks so much for the information. :)

I had a suspicion that the "Beginners" and "Beginner and Intermediate" classes wouldn't be very different (except for maybe the cost). hah I'd definitely say that I'm lacking basic skills so I guess they'd be worth it for a noob like me. :D Except I'm scared that I'm going to get stuck in a class with a bunch of little kids. :eek:

6. asphyxiate

That's what happened to my friend and I :D, but then I got told to switch to adult Advanced, and even in that 'adult' class there were 11-14 year olds :confused:. But it was okay because there were actual adults and things. Depends on how old you are and what you define as "little kids" hehehe.

7. chubbzz

chubbzz Regular Member

Uhh...little kids are 12 year olds and under?

Well, I guess it shouldn't be too big of a deal seeing as I'm only 15 (turning 16 soon). Do ya think there will be anyone there around my age? It would be great if I could meet someone that would train with me. *sigh* No one that I know of is dedicated enough to go practice badminton with me regularly. :crying:

Oh and by the way, how do they decide whether you should go into Beginners or Beginners & Intermediate?

8. david07

david07 New Member

Student
    Hi, the CCC is really close to me and I'm interested in the group lessons, can someone give me a schedule or the classes, times and prices? thnx

9. chubbzz

chubbzz Regular Member

The schedule of classes are here: http://mandarinbadminton.com/grouplessons_scar.html

The spring classes have already started but I think you can sign up anyways and join at a reduced fee.

10. david07

david07 New Member

Student
    chubbzz, do you play at mandarin scarbourgh?

11. chubbzz

chubbzz Regular Member

Hey David.

Unfortunately, I don't play at Mandarin Scarborough anymore. Did you end up signing up for those lessons?

12. david07

david07 New Member

Student
    nope.... joined the summer membership instead

13. chubbzz

chubbzz Regular Member

Nice. I saw the summer membership and was thinking about signing up but I am not sure if I am going to be in Toronto this summer so I decided against it.