Mandarin or Lee's?

Discussion in 'Canada East' started by Maralex, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Maralex

Maralex New Member

I want to join Mandarin or Lee's badminton club. Could anyone suggest what i better to choose?
    Thanks

2. ploppers

ploppers Regular Member

Ahhh, that question is deadly in the markham area ;). It really depends what kind of player you are. If you enjoy working hard and having the opportunity of intensive training, I suggest Lee's. However, if u enjoy a more fun atmosphere with more strategic coaching, Mandarin is good. Both clubs have a fairly good reputation, but if u join one, don't join the other after :p

3. Jus_anothr_grl

Jus_anothr_grl Regular Member

student
    Judging by your age in your profile and assuming that it's true, I really don't think it matters which club you join. However, if you have children who want to play competitively, well, that's another question. Search up the old threads. There are TONS on Mandarin vs. Lee's related stuff.

4. Maralex

Maralex New Member

I want to play hard and i want to improve my skills (regardless the age from my profile,which is true), but don't want to take any coaching lesson (it's already to much for me to pay membership). i want to play a lot, not just have a fun. And i'm gonna be alone and the problem is how to play a lot if you don't have a partner and don't know anybody.

Thanks for any suggestion!

5. littlestream

littlestream Regular Member

Financial Analyst
    I have checked the website of Mandarin. Looks impressive. I don't know if Lee has a site. You may wish to check both site up and compare. If you golf, then Mandarin may be an option because it is affiliated with the upscale Mandarin Golf & Country Club. Good luck.

6. Trance

Trance Regular Member

Student ;)
    www.leesbadminton.ca

7. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    every consider rec centres?? you don't have to play at a club to gain skills... especially if you're not going to take lessons.... i've seen many amazing players play at rec centres regularly...

8. blu_limit

blu_limit Regular Member

for recreational centres, you may want to check out the community centres near you, they may require a regristation fee and/or age requirement, at most places they have a time set for adults/family time to play =/ .. so much more times for adults than teens >.< .. the various centres i been to.. there are differnt levels of compeition and there are always the odd person out without a partner sitting on the bench.

9. littlestream

littlestream Regular Member

Financial Analyst
    Thanks Trance, for the site on lees badminton. I was searching for it, guess didn't search hard enough.

Nanashi : rec centre? You mean like those in the recreation guide that comes to our door step every season? I've been to one and it was very well ran but the level of play is recreational. Perhaps there some centre offering competitive level.

Maralex: you may wish to check your municipal website for the guide. Also, like what jus anothr grl suggested, search old threads in this forum.

Good luck. FYI, I am also looking for a place to play. I may narrow it down to Parkway Atheletic Club.

10. Maralex

Maralex New Member

Where I could find info about Parkway Atheletic Club? I've searched the net, but couldn't find somethinng about membership etc.
    About rec. centers... I've played in some of them, but now I'm looking for something more persistent and more flexible with the time (I have sometimes free daytime).
    Thanks, anyway!

11. Trance

Trance Regular Member

Student ;)
    You should check out various clubs in the Toronto Region. Check the Ontario Badminton Association site, unfortunately I don't remember it.

12. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    l'am is a pretty good rec centre last time i went.... a bunch of good players there.... and i'm sure there are other recs with good players... just gotta look around.....

13. ting03

ting03 Regular Member

University Student
    about lee's ....if you need to restring a racket, can they do it right when you give it to them? or do they take like a week? or wat...becuz i broke my string and i wanna re-string it quickly

14. ploppers

ploppers Regular Member

2-3 days, depends on the day the stringer is in.

15. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    Mine took a day...

16. Trance

Trance Regular Member

Student ;)
    I know I'm kinda late, but I remember where Parkway Atheletic club is now lol. It's at Leslie and Hwy 7 but I don't know if they have a website although i'm sure they do. The place has nice facilities in general but the gym is awful lighting. It has a proshop there too. And btw, one of the regional Yonex distributors goes there hehe. I know him and got my SHB-99s for cheap price from him :D

17. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    Is there any drop in or anything in parkway ahteletic club?

18. Trance

Trance Regular Member

Student ;)
    Naw, you have to be a member. I'm not a member cuz my parents said it's not worth it :p.

19. ting03

ting03 Regular Member

University Student
    oh, that's wat my parents said at first...but i convinced them, and i joined as a member in june...=D my first private lesson is tomoro! :eek: i hope i don't die from the training...lolz btw i've been to lee's last year for the group lesson thingie...you don't need to be a member for that. but anyways lee's has really good courts becuz they are so new and clean (on their 3 new courts on the other side anyways)

but it is very expensive..................:crying: however if anybody wants to play with me, you can tell me beforehand and i'll meet ya there! :D just go easy on me first cause i'm not exactly that good lol

ting03

20. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    What is the price and such for the club you just joined? The membership fee and the private....