Mandarin Club in Toronto Feedback

Discussion in 'Mandarin Badminton' started by RSX, Aug 6, 2003.

1. RSX

RSX Regular Member

Hello everyone,

The previous thread (New Club in TO) is getting quite long, and since the club has been open for a while now, thought I would start a new one focussing on feedback.

I am contemplating joining with a friend of mine, but before I put out that kind of $$, I want to ensure I will make use of the club. I dropped in over the w/end to check out the facilities and they definately seem quite impressive. Can't say for certain as I didn't play there, but I'm not really concerened about the facility itself.

I do have a few questions for anyone who plays there:

--> What is the atmosphere like ? I would generally be going weekday evenings, and my friend and I are intermediate level players. Do people come in groups to play, or do they just mix up with the players there (like a drop-in format)?

--> Is it crowded in the evenings ?

--> I had considered joining Lee's in the past, but found it too cliquey. Is there a good mix of members at Mandarin ?

--> Do people play with feather birds only or nylon as well ?

--> Is the dress code (I believe I was told 70 or 80% white clothing) enforced ?

--> Do they have a trial membership where those considering joining could try it out for a week or two before deciding ?

--> Finally, just wondering how many people on BF are members or are considering joining.

Any info is much appreciated ... THANKS !!!

2. wukenne

wukenne Regular Member

--> What is the atmosphere like ? I would generally be going weekday evenings, and my friend and I are intermediate level players. Do people come in groups to play, or do they just mix up with the players there (like a drop-in format)?

More like drop in format...although people tend to play in groups. Similiar to the Rosemount crowd. Although there is a 20 minute time limit on court during busy hours (7pm till close)

As far as I can tell, Tuesday and Friday evenings are pretty busy. Although there is training on Tuesday until 8 PM which might help explain why it's busier on Tuesday night.

--> I had considered joining Lee's in the past, but found it too cliquey. Is there a good mix of members at Mandarin ?

Pretty good mix so far. Although u should recognize most of the people that play there currently....mostly ex-SBA players from Bethune, Agincourt, L'Amor, etc.

100% feather so far. Yet to see any nylon around although I'm sure people will play if you ask, but I don't think there's any rules on this.

--> Is the dress code (I believe I was told 70 or 80% white clothing) enforced ?

Yes. Enforced.

--> Do they have a trial membership where those considering joining could try it out for a week or two before deciding ?

Not that I know of...although you can use the guest fee twice a month to try it out.

--> Finally, just wondering how many people on BF are members or are considering joining.

Well I'm not sure of the BF players, but like I said previously, you'll know a least 5-6 people there...we're all ex-Agincourters. :)

3. n_0163

n_0163 Regular Member

Most people play drop in They;ll come in groups of 3 or 4 and will rotate with anyone avalible to get the best possible game. There are generallly alot of intermediate players so I think youre ok.

Like wukenne said Tuedays and Fridays are always extra busy but almost everyday theyll be someone to play with if you drop in.

Mandarin has an excellent mix of players who will basiclaly play with anyone. THere are generally no cliques and all people are fairly open to everyone else.

More like drop in format...although people tend to play in groups. Similiar to the Rosemount crowd. Although there is a 20 minute time limit on court during busy hours (7pm till close)

As far as I can tell, Tuesday and Friday evenings are pretty busy. Although there is training on Tuesday until 8 PM which might help explain why it's busier on Tuesday night.

Pretty good mix so far. Although u should recognize most of the people that play there currently....mostly ex-SBA players from Bethune, Agincourt, L'Amor, etc.

Feather is the name of the game. Almost 100% feather tho i have seen about a dozen times, people playing with nylon

Strictly Enforced. The Dress Code just to verify is 85% White Shirt, with Solid COloured Shorts (some strips down the side are acceptalble)

No. Best Choice would be to get a member to bring you in on a Guest Fee.

I dont know whos considering?..but for sure there are Nsmash, me, reaper, Nanashi, jechan, jus_anothr_grl, and some others I cant think of the top of my head.

4. RSX

RSX Regular Member

Thanks for the responses. Good to know some ex-Agincourters are there ... I'll probably join in September.