Malaythong of Synergy badminton club arrested for sexually assaulting underage teen

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Phuong, Jul 21, 2018.

1. Phuong

Phuong Regular Member

2. phihag

phihag Regular Member

What is there to opine about? If the allegations are true - and the article gives no indication otherwise - then the guy should be in prison. If he ever leaves prison, he should be permanently barred from any badminton club, not only to prevent junior players in that club, but because of the crass misconduct in a badminton setting.

If there were any warning signs - i.e. other club members knew of even minor misconduct beforehand - then the club and local (US/California) associations have to reevaluate their policies, facilities, and education.

I don't know anything about the education against abuse in CA or the US, but the coaching course in my state included a mandatory course, which discussed potential warnings signs and ways to deal with, investigate, and report such behavior.

But apart from banning convicted offenders, calling attention to potential problems and educating coaches and other officials about potentially problematic situations, I see little a federation or the badminton community as a whole could do. Law enforcement, not badminton bodies, should deal with this.