Malaysian Open Quarter Finals

Discussion in 'Singapore Open 2005 / Malaysia Open 2005' started by KourKK, Jul 7, 2005.

1. legendarycroc

legendarycroc Regular Member

school
    I've this website that says lee chong wei defeated peter gade...today..:confused:

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I agree that we should give the benefit of the doubt to Chen Hong, who is reported to have suffered a back injury and NOT to cast him with doubt and conspiracy.

Yes, we know that both countrymen hail from the same province and are very good friends off court, but as the AE had shown, Chen Hong went all out to defeat Lin Dan. I'm sure Chen wants to do well to win more points and prize money. But the injury, which normally has to be confirmed by a neutral doctor at site I think, put paid to his ambitions and he reluctantly surrended to his compatroit, coincidentally.

Had Chen continued to play despite his injury, no matter how serious or otherwise, he would have worsened it and may not be able to show up for the all important WC, which is just around the corner! Worse still, he might be out of action for a few months just as Peter Gade had experienced before. Remember how difficult it was for Peter to go through his rehabilitation and after that to have to go through the qualifying rounds to gain entry to the main draw?

If you were in Chen Hong's shoes, would you want to take such a risk? If you were Chen Hong's coach, would you recommend he continues to play? Therefore, if Chen's case is genuine, is it fair for us to brand him a conspirator or even worse, a match fixer?

Guilty as proved???

#182 Loh, Jul 8, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2005
  3. khwong

khwong Regular Member

Self Employed
    Wow! guess who did i bump into during supper right after the matches.
    Lee Chong Wei, Koo Kien keat and 2 female friends. They had wantan mee for supper! Too bad i did not carry a camera at that time. Great atmosphere at the stadium just now. it was AMAZING!!!!!

4. legendarycroc

school
    how much was it ($) to get in the stadium and watch the matches?

5. khwong

khwong Regular Member

Self Employed
    Preliminaries RM10
    semifinals RM15
    finals RM20
    the quarterfinals today was sold out. had to park my car miles away!
    gonna catch it live on tv from semifinals onwards.

6. legendarycroc

school
    omg! So little?!!!Thats like $6.50CAN for the finals...!!

7. virusvoodoo

virusvoodoo Regular Member

court mopper

True but I bet he wouldn't given his opponent a walkover if it was some other player from another country. He would at least use some of his strength to try to advance. Also, this happens quite a few times with Chinese players, probably way more than the players from other countries.

This is why I do not like Chinese players anymore. I am a strong supporter of Gade and Hidayat; since Taufik is out, I am rooting for Gade all the way!

#187 virusvoodoo, Jul 8, 2005
  8. legendarycroc

school
    o anyone know when chen jin and bao chunlai are playing? I haven't heard any news about the result, so im asumming that they haven't played yet...:confused:

9. legendarycroc

school
    but if its any injury that would stop him from playing for the WC he wouldn't do it...this is the one open he cant win with an injury.. whats more important, the malaysian openor the world champsionships? THe WC obviously, Chen HOng and his coach knows that, so that surrenderred...Besides Lin DAn and Chen HOng know eachother, thers no rivalry there...They even came from the same country!!!

10. Treker

Treker Regular Member

People paid to watch the game!!!

I am a Chinese but I am really sick of this type of selfishness by these two players. There were full house of people who paid to watch this game! So for the healthy of this sports, I suggest IBF set up a rule to investigate and punish this kind of act in the future!

11. legendarycroc

school
    then again its like 5$, that's not much money, is it..IF you were chen hong what would you do? Get popularity or End your career? That's the decision he had to make, he made the right one, probably not the brave and honourable one...

12. ArmotecDude

ArmotecDude Regular Member

I agree with everyone who said that Chinese players have always give walkovers or give games away to their teamates. It goes back to the time with Yang Yang and Zhao Jian Hua (or since the beginning) where Yang Yang would bow out to give ZJH more points...I have a match between them two where YY just kept clearing to ZJH who is a strong agressive player who attacked at every opportunity...I also have a match of YY and Morten Frost...YY seemed like 2 different players..

Anyways! Go Candra/Sigit! For the title!

13. ploppers

ploppers Regular Member

I don't like how China is immediately accused for cheated whenever a player w/o to another. This HAS happened to other countries and no one suspected them. For example, I believe it was the 2002 China open when Peter Rassmusen gave a w.o to Peter Gade. No one said anything about Peter being ordered to give a walk over just so that Peter G. could get some points for he upcomming wc. Whether China did it or not, it's not fair to immediately point fingers when such an incedent occurs.

14. Treker

Treker Regular Member

Does not matter where are u from...

It does not matter which country are the players from. If this is the attitude in this sports, then one day it will be in the position being kicking out Olympics. BTW, how many times this happened between these two players???

15. Treker

Treker Regular Member

You mean 5 US $s?! That's a lot for the people over there.

16. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Hi treker....you think we can't fork out US5 to watch a match? It is full house my friend. Tickets are sold out.

Wait a minute, I know....it must be pirated tickets, 10 cents per piece.

17. streamyx

streamyx Regular Member

09/07/05, 02:10:11

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]KUALA LUMPUR, July 8 (Bernama) -- Malaysian number one and defending champion Lee Chong Wei created a pleasant upset by beating favourite Taufik Hidayat of Indonesia to advance into the semi-finals of the Malaysian Open at the Kuala Lumpur Badminton Stadium here Friday night.

Chong Wei's superb display of speed and aggression saw him winning 15-5, 15-0, handing Taufik one of the most embarrassing defeats of his career.

After winning the first set 15-5 with relative ease, Chong Wei used his jumping smashes to good effect and made Taufik chase shadows on numerous occasions in the second whilst the packed stadium cheered on.

The Indonesian, who came here fresh from winning the Singapore Open last week, was a pale shadow of himself and looked lethargic, especially in the second set, failing to exert himself to make returns.

With the win, Chong Wei, the fourth seed, will meet Bao Chung Lai of China.

Meanwhile, world number one and top seed Lin Dan of China did not have to lift the racket to make the semi-finals as his opponent Chen Hong conceded a walkover due to a recurrence of his back injury after Thursday's win over Indonesian Sony Dwi Kuncoro.

Chong Wei's joy was, however, overshadowed by Hafiz Hashim's exit after losing to Danish player Peter Gade Christensen in three sets.

Hafiz, who lost the first set 10-15, staged a spirited fightback to take the second set 15-12 but ran out of steam in the third to lose 5-15.

In another all-Chinese quarter-final encounter, Bao Chunlai defeated Chen Jin 15-8, 15-7 in straight sets to advance.

Meanwhile, in the women's singles, unseeded Li Li of Singapore continued her superb form with an easy 11-9, 11-4 win over Japan's Yu Hirayama to advance into the semi-finals.

Li Li, who upset top seed Xie Xingfang in the first round, will meet Zhu Lin of China who beat compatriot Lu Lan 11-9, 11-6 to book her berth.

Yao Jie of the Netherlands also made it to the semi-finals after beating German Xu Huaiwen 8-11, 11-3, 11-9 in three sets while second seed Zhang Ning stamped her mark with a 11-1, 11-4 victory over Japan's Kaori Mori.
    [/font]

18. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Great to see li mao and team are bearing fruit of their labor so soon. Note the report said SPEED and aggression of CW, the missing part of the old MAL team. What happen to taufik's great technique, great tight net, great deception?? U ask, cooler, taufik had beat LD in SG open with similar scores and LD is faster. Yes taufik did. My answer to that is about the often unmentioned component, more important than speed, that is mental. I believe LD was mentally lax or weak (from over confidence at the sudirman win). What CW dish out to taufik was speed and aggression, ie, (sustain) speed and mental toughness. The scores have shown how powerful these two skills are over any other skills.
    The chineses are never really strong in the mental dept. LD choked at athen. Choking = mental lapse. I view MAL and INA are mentally stronger than the china team. Look at zhang ning, it took her TEN years to get her jinx out(IMO, ZN almost lost at athen too if mia audina didnt poop out half way of 2nd game). IMO, there is no WS player physically built to near perfection like zhang ning. That is why she can play much longer than most WS player. If her mental remain tough or even improve with time, she can continue to win titles. China can 'milk' her for a little while longer so may i say :D

#198 cooler, Jul 8, 2005
  19. legendarycroc

school
    to get into a sport event? Its usually like 20-50$!!

20. nugroho

nugroho Regular Member

pray for taufik

according to indonesia local newspaper.. taufiq got problem n his back... he tried to frigt up on the 1st set.. bet it was getting worse...
    i hope it will be over before the WC...
    God BLess him... Amin...
    :)