Malaysian Open 2008 - Day 2 - Jan 16 - First Round

Discussion in 'Malaysia Open 2008' started by vching, Jan 15, 2008.

1. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Or nerves hit them. They could beat Lars/Jonas all on their own, without any coach in Copenhagen Masters in Dec.

2. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    That also shows how unstable they were.

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    lars/jonas have learned from the CO. Don't expect a cake walk for MAL MD teams. Rexy better figure out lars/jonas soon or else one more MAL team to fall soon.

4. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    U are right , Rexy have more jobs to do now. He not only need to focus on Taiwan & japanese pair, more headache for him now.

5. eaglehelang

More like pressure & inconsistency. In Copenhagen, they were all fired up, dont seem to have any pressure.

Lose some, win some, both the Korea MD pairs also lost early. I sorta expected Zakry/Fairuz to lose to Tony/Chandra. In HK Open, can see Tony/Chandra have improved much .

Copenhagen was against Zakry/Fairuz. They play a bit different. Lar/Jonas arent new rookies, been around years, so have CTF/LWW. They would know each other's game by now.
    LWW havent fully recovered from injury. + Rexy now must also take care of WD. Lars/Jonas also stimes win, stimes lose.

#905 eaglehelang, Jan 17, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  6. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Tony/Candra do not need to improve since they are already an Olympic Gold Medallist :D Technically, they are still superior to the other MD that we have in our stable, like Luluk/Alvent and AG/Joko. What they need is to play smarter and wiser.

7. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

You mean..

..they're not "smarter" and "wiser" than the other younger opponents??..:confused:..Could it be their physical factor/stamina/age that are holding them back??..;)

8. morphy

morphy Regular Member

I think what BadMania meant was they have the advantage in experience/smarts/tactics and should use it more over the younger players. The younger players may have more stamina,stronger and faster but not as experienced...so basically he is saying they should use that experience more instead of playing to the younger opponent's strength.

oh hello BC :)

9. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmmm...

..so, you don't think Candra & Tony haven't used their experience/smarts/tactics more over their younger players in all of last yr's SS tourneys??:confused:..And Tony & Candra haven't used their experience more but rather have been playing to their younger opponents' strength during last yr's SS tourneys??..:confused:
    IMO, the vets have done all of those you've mentioned up til now, esp. after playing in nearly 12 SS events. Some would say their lack of training time together etc. is a factor. But IMO, they're "prime" time had past. In other words, age has caught up to them..:p
    But to be fair, yes, they showed up their talents by defending & winning the 2007 Japan Open tourney. And they're still marching on, entertaining all of us baddy fanatics with whatever ounces of energy left in their bodies, this yr..:cool:

And yes, hi to you too, morphy..Welcome to BC & glad to have you here!;):cool:

10. morphy

morphy Regular Member

lol don't shoot the messenger. I'm just 'translating' what I thought Badmania meant but of course he can speak for himself, don't need me to do that ;).

And Thank You for the welcome. :)
    its so hard to follow Int badminton where I am, not even a newspaper clipping. So this is like my only source for everything badminton.

#910 morphy, Jan 17, 2008
  11. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Off topic-The welcoming party will be awaiting your arrival...

...in this sub-forum, below..Hope you can make an Intro. in there cos many BCers will surely welcome you!;):cool:
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75

..well, thankfully there's BC, a place where all of us baddy fans can congregate..and talk about this sport..;):cool:

#911 ctjcad, Jan 17, 2008
  12. morphy

morphy Regular Member

You're right tho in that eventually age will catch up no matter who you are or how experienced you are simply because its a young person's sport. One can only rely on experience so much. Otherwise we'll still see Punch and Hartono still going at it lol.

13. eaglehelang

He, he, seems morphy & ctjcad already 'analysed' your post. I saw Tony/Chandra improve in terms of speed & combination - last quarter of 2007. I should say : they got back their old magic touch, in spite of not training much together.

On a good day, I believe they can still beat your heros, being a 'wiser' senior pair - that's why they're OG champ.

14. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Age definitely plays a factor and that's why they need to refine their tactics when they play against the young and dangerous pairs like Fairuz/Zakry, Koo/Tan, and Kido/Hendra.

One example is when they faced Koo/Tan in the QF of the HK Open. All of us present on that night thought it would be a lost cause, esp after they yielded easily to Koo/Tan. However, they changed their tactic and managed to turn the match the other way round. That's what I meant by playing "smarter" and "wiser", in the midst of gameplay. Many young pairs that we have still have a lot to learn from the veteran pair in this aspect.

But still, they lost to the younger and more aggressive Kido/Hendra in the Final :cool: Tony admitted afterwards that they couldn't match the younger pair in terms of speed and stamina.

15. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Well..

..don't you think Tony & Candra have been doing that, or at least tried to do that, esp during the many tourneys they participated in, last yr??..:confused: ;)..IMO, i'm sure they're aware of what they have to do or at least tried to do what you wrote>play "smarter" and "wiser"..:cool:

#915 ctjcad, Jan 18, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  16. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Well, they are aware of this problem, but, if they have yet to solve the problem completely ;) Otherwise, they will be conquering the MD yet again like Candra/Sigit did in 2005, despite the presence of younger pairs like Fu/Cai and Chan/Koo.

17. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

So...

..if (like you wrote) they are aware of what they have to do, then wouldn't that eliminate the need for them to play "wiser" and "smarter"?? I mean, they know/are aware they have to do those, right?? Thus, possibly, they haven't solved their "problem" because of other factor(s)??..
    Btw, how many titles did the "younger" Candra & Sigit win in 2005?? sorry, i don't recall..:p

#917 ctjcad, Jan 18, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  18. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Even though they know, they will still have to remind themselves everytime though ;)

In 2005 alone, Candra/Sigit won 4 titles (China Opens, Swiss, Singapore and Malaysia Opens 2005) and were Runner-Ups in 4 Events (Korea, Japan, World Championships and Indonesia Opens 2005). The only 2 events they failed to enter QF in 2005 were the All-England and HK Opens). They won another China Open back in 2004

19. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Well...

..of course....and that applies to most if not all players/doubles pairs, not just them...:cool:
    Btw, thanks for the infos of Sigit's & Candra's 2005 record...