Malaysia Team : I'm proud of you.

Discussion in 'Thomas Cup / Uber Cup 2010' started by undeadshot, May 14, 2010.

1. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
  2. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

No politics please;)....

3. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    haha .. sorry, george, just an example.

4. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    I really felt for LCW being the lone fighter without any solid singles to back him up. Among the current batch of MAS camp, only LCW keeps on improving and the rest are either stagnant or going backwards. Koo/Tan are not making any breakthrough under Rexy, it's time for Tan Kim Her to step in. Why are we still keeping the juniors in the "fridge"? Apart from LCW and Koo/Tan, I would rather be seeing juniors losing for the sake of exposure than seeing the old folks and inconsistents struggling.

Like others have mentioned, it's nothing to be proud of for both number ones losing in straight games at homeground. Preparation is crucial as proved by UC Korea and TC CHN. Actions speak louder than words.

5. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
  6. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Definately she is not just a ordinary badminton and KKK's fan..........:D:D

7. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

I concur. LCW tried to show that he can match LD in speed which was his mistake.

8. sktoo

sktoo New Member

Even when the player loses, people still praising them like a god... No wonder our player can't improve..:rolleyes:

9. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    I AM an ordinary fan of the game of badminton, plus kkk. nothing else to add. :p

Chris, as I said, just an example of conditional offer happen in Malaysia. sorry. Ot, and it's politic too. heh.

10. hot-turtle

hot-turtle Regular Member

Jimbo I agree and for the sake of LCW future following are my comments :

What LCW did right.

1. He did couple of baseline smashes that troubled LD .

What LCW did wrong

1. Avoid things that are not working.
    His body smash wasn't working at all that day , should try baseline and side smashes.

2. Passive retrievals
    LCW retrieve smashes that are direct retrievals (ie straight line retrievals to the net on LD's side which is easily tap in by LD ) , should try cross court retrieval to empty space like what LD did few times (in doing so the opponent needs to run further to get to shuttle ) that way you will not be tap on the net easily.

3. Use smashes that are directional
    LCW smashes are often to the same side where LD is standing and are affordlessly retrieved by LD. That shows he is not thinking on his feet during the game and misbun is happily seated and not offering solutions. maybe he should watch TV like us, it is so obvioius even my 60 yrs old aunty is frustrated by softy /passive play. Coaches are suppose to give a bird eyes perspecitve what players fail to see in court. I saw mid way, LCW is talking to himself as though he was out of whits what to do , this is where coach needs to come in to encourage him.

Conclusion

Atually LCW never started his game from start. LD was palyfully toying with him in stroke play , encouraging him to get into his usual play . We saw this when LD and LCW were engaging in stroke play for almost 30 seconds, instead of capitalising on it, LCW defaulted and begin to make more unforced errors by lifting high on the net and hitting out of court. This shows LCW is out of composure and not thingking anymore but reside to mere 'responding" to LD control/dictation.

In the words of Gillian clerk I think it was in Olympic games, "LCW played passively".

We as BC community must lobby and bring this to LCW and BAM awarness otherwise we will see this yo-yo happeingn over and over again. Anyone knwos does LCW get to read all these useful tips BC is offering?

The saddest thing is LCW has the fitness level to counter LD but he was directionaless , it is not true the the gap between LCW and LD is big, but LCW needs enlightenment.

11. HaoFung

HaoFung Regular Member

With all ur recommendations to LCW seriously...

what does LCW do better than LD?

LD moves faster
    LD smashes harder
    LD anticipates better
    LD is more aggressive
    LD is a lot more deceptive

Their defense is probably equal but while LCW is forced to do straight blocks due to LD awesome smashes, LD can easily cross block most of LCW smashes and dive save his winners...

at 28... yes it's too late, LCW can play his uber cross courts all he wants (I actually love this shot) but maybe he should have considered not having to take the shuttle so low so many times when he started playing badminton

Another topic on MAS playing their youngsters... the only reason why WCH and HH still have to play is not because BAM wants to but there are no junior elite players... CJ, BCL, CL are World Junior Champions... eliteness starts at a very early age, u can throw QF youngsters on the world stage all you want, they'll just get trashed even more

With so many people criticizing BAM, they might not be great but they arent retarded, they have to do with what they have and unfortunately MAS isnt producing any talent for the moment. The best get to play, even if it means they are in the 30s. I dont see anyone asking Gade to retire to leave room for youngsters (even tho he prolly will very shortly)

12. kelana7

kelana7 Regular Member

Hi all,

I can't resist to give my comment regarding LCW performance. Anyway, good review by hot-turtle and jimbo.

Great performance by both actually, they made it look easy but it is not. They both cover all the court like thundercats! hehe...
    LCW did right but he need to kill the shot quickly rather than play passively but of course this requires extra energy/stamina using smash but hey... this is badminton you have to do what got to do to get the point, right. Trouble and pressure your opponent max.
    Similar like Hafiz when facing upper ranking or good opponent. You cannot wait for opportunity, using fancy/risky shot after tried everything and at the end u end up with unforced error and get frustrated.

Please further improve stamina, fitness level like what China players shows to us in Thomas cup Final. They are just good at all aspect including maturity(how to handle the situation and turn around the game as what happened to Kido and Setiawan).

Our M'sia coaches has done a very good job compares to 6 years ago but we need to further improve in all aspect using the technology if can and please well preparation is the key, do not wait last minute. I guess China very good in term of preparation for prestige tournament.

13. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

If I'm not mistaken, Msia did produce quite a number of world junior champions. So it's incorrect to say that we do NOT produce talents like Chen Long at such young age. The rocket science question here is how to transform our world junior champion into the world beaters like LCW, LD, PG and TH. I think we fail in the transition and BAM should seriously looking into it. Now we have a world junior double champion (they won the title in Mexico City) and hopefully Rexy or TanKH can transform them into a formidable pair like our hero CheahSK and SooBK/YapKH.

Msia Boleh...

14. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

All itchy :D

Errr, the patron of BAM who's also the PM's wife, was there, with a couple other big shots. The Prime Minister came in later(though I didnt see him from where I was sitting). But I reckon other than Msian players, they dunno who the VIPs are.
    So......imagine if other countries did the same in China with China Prime Minister there. They would have been more pissed than Msian fans(they have been pissed with other more minor stuff before & posted so in BC) ;)

As to improvement, yeah, many already know, but the question would be would the top decision makers bother, esp when they have their own vested interest involved.

15. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    well
    we did produce
    the problem is
    there is different between bjss and bam
    especially at ms department
    i have no worry on other department for malaysia future
    just hope iskandar and syawal+ramdam/sharizal dont get spoiled;)

16. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

The WJCs are in MD, not MS. TBH (with Hoon TH) was 2004 WJC. Msia won 2008, 2009, 2010 WJC in MD, all of which are or will be under TKH.
    For MS, Iskandar was AJC & WJC runner up in 2009. Loh WS is this yr AJC runner up

17. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

The conclusion is someone must tell LCW about this though.

I remember when Li Mao was the coach for LCW, his gameplay was different with the current gameplay though..

18. OldBadFan

OldBadFan Regular Member

Contractor
    Bet they definitely would...kalau ada ni...$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :D

19. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

OK. Let's hope our AJC & WJC runner-ups will be world beaters in the near future...

In 80s, we have Misbun... 90s, we have Rashid and FKK, then WCH and now, we only have LCW.

20. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    LCW played well actually.. but LD was far too superior. HE read LCW's game like a book. Thats why LCW can't find any loopholes.. he did all he could.. injecting all his lethal smashes.. but just couldnt penetrate LD's Great Wall.

Overall... our players and coaches did their very best and i applaud them.