Malaysia Open 2008 - Day 5 - Jan 19 - SEMI-FINAL

Discussion in 'Malaysia Open 2008' started by badMania, Jan 18, 2008.

1. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Team INA is guaranteed to have at least one representative in the Final.

MEN'S SINGLES
    Lee Chong Wei [1] vs Chen Yu [8] -- with both Bao Chunlai and Chen Jin beaten, the home favorite will meet the last Chinese player. He should win tomorrow and win the title on Sunday.

Lee Hyun Il vs Kenneth Jonassen -- Kenneth is on fire, after beating Bao Chunlai. He should have an edge over the Korean, who's making a comeback to qualify for the Olympics.

MEN'S DOUBLES
    Lars Paaske/Jonas Rasmussen vs Fu Haifeng/Cai Yun [2] -- Fu/Cai have been untroubled so far, winning all their matches easily. However, Paaske/Rasmussen have been the revelation of this tournament so far. The last time they met, Fu/Cai won in straight sets. Can Paaske/Rasmussen create a treble and beat another seeded opponent? We shall see :cool:

Tony Gunawan/Candra Wijaya [4] vs Markis Kido/Hendra Setiawan [2] -- recent matchups were won by Kido/Hendra. But, it could still be a tough one and Tony/Candra will be fighting hard to enter the Final. I hope Kido/Hendra can win again and hopefully another title in KL?

WOMEN'S SINGLES
    Tine Rasmussen vs Pi Hongyan [5] -- Tine has beaten a Chinese player today and she's in good form.

Wong Mew Choo [8] vs Zhu Lin [3] -- the Malaysian player will be the underdog, despite having beaten Zhu the last time they met. Can fortune struck twice? I hope so....

WOMEN'S DOUBLES -- yawn

MIXED DOUBLES
    He Hanbin/Yu Yang [4] vs Sudket Prapakamol/Saralee Thoungthongkam [8] -- an interesting matchup is in store. With no Zheng/Gao, Xie/Zhang, Flandy/Vita and Nova/Butet, Sudket/Saralee have a high chance of winning their first Super Series title. I will be rooting for them to beat the 3rd ranked Chinese pair.

Nathan Robertson/Gail Emms [5] vs Lee Yong Dae/Lee Hyo Jung -- the Korean pair is making a comeback after failed experiments (with Hwang Yu Mi and Han Sang Hoon respectively). They have beaten two seeded pairs, including the World Champions today. Can they do the same again tomorrow? Robertson/Emms have a slight edge.

#1 badMania, Jan 18, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  2. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

haha, you said robertson/emms have a slight edge and still picked the koreans?

3. badMania

badMania Regular Member

yup.....I still think the Korean can nick a win (like today).

4. d65up2

d65up2 Regular Member

Student
    I rather pick the Koreans...cos I never like Nathan.....

5. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    Interesting to see there is at least one reprentative from Europe for every events in the first SS of 2008 which is being held at Asia

6. volcom

volcom Regular Member

I think there is still a slight chance Chen Yu will upset LCW tomorrow... ahah battle of the AT900P's :p?

But this LCW is much different to the LCW that lost to CHen Yu last two times in German Open and All Englands... He no longer use that cursed AT900T :p:p:p

7. apontoh

apontoh Regular Member

if your predictions come true, that would be an utter disaster for China, especially after the Zhuhai training camp...

8. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    MEN'S SINGLES
    Lee Chong Wei [1] vs Chen Yu [8] -- LCW should take this opportunity to consolidate his position and get a good seeding for the Olympics. Chen Yu was pushed to the brink, wonder how much energy he will bring tomorrow.

Lee Hyun Il vs Kenneth Jonassen -- Kenneth again defies his age, still has the tricks, footwork and the defence to challenge an opponent's speed. But Lee has gotten better in every match.

MEN'S DOUBLES
    Lars Paaske/Jonas Rasmussen vs Fu Haifeng/Cai Yun [2] -- This is all about controlling the pace, CHN to win if they play fast, DEN to win if they pace is varied. Experience holds the key.

Tony Gunawan/Candra Wijaya [4] vs Markis Kido/Hendra Setiawan [2] OK, will give World Champs the benefit of past 2 results (WC and HK Open). But Candra/Tony are coming up with extra beef in their smashes.

WOMEN'S SINGLES
    Tine Rasmussen vs Pi Hongyan [5] -- Pi's grace to neutralize Tine's strength.

Wong Mew Choo [8] vs Zhu Lin [3] -- will give Zhu Lin the nod this time, WMC needs to find the same touch that landed her the CHN title. But the longer it takes to finish the match, the better WMC's chances will be.

WOMEN'S DOUBLES -- yawn (CHN vs CHN final, guaranteed)

MIXED DOUBLES
    He Hanbin/Yu Yang [4] vs Sudket Prapakamol/Saralee Thoungthongkam [8] -- time for THA pair to stand up and be counted among winners.

Nathan Robertson/Gail Emms [5] vs Lee Yong Dae/Lee Hyo Jung -- Koreans may have beaten the World Champs, but those errors are just too much for them to progress further. Emms/Robertson are in good form, then again, they have yet to be severely tested ......

9. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    My take

MEN'S SINGLES
    Lee Chong Wei [1] vs Chen Yu [8] - LCW all the way.

Lee Hyun Il vs Kenneth Jonassen - KJ is on fire, after beating BCL.

MEN'S DOUBLES
    Lars Paaske/Jonas Rasmussen vs Fu Haifeng/Cai Yun [3] - Fu/Cai have been impressive so far, winning all their matches without dropping a game whereas the Danes have knocked two seeded Malaysian pairs. Expecting a 3 thrilling sets in Fu/Cai's favor.

Tony Gunawan/Candra Wijaya [4] vs Markis Kido/Hendra Setiawan [2] - The world champions will win again.

WOMEN'S SINGLES
    Tine Rasmussen vs Pi Hongyan [5] - Tine will beat another Chinese player.

Wong Mew Choo [8] vs Zhu Lin [3] - The Chinese will have the slight edge.

WOMEN'S DOUBLES - Boring

MIXED DOUBLES
    He Hanbin/Yu Yang [4] vs Sudket Prapakamol/Saralee Thoungthongkam [8] - With all the big names gone, the Thai pair will have a high chance of winning their first Super Series title.

Nathan Robertson/Gail Emms [5] vs Lee Yong Dae/Lee Hyo Jung - The English pair will take it.

10. d65up2

d65up2 Regular Member

Student
    MD

Markis Kido-Hendra Setiawan v Candra Wijaya-Tony Gunawan. Exciting one but here I pick Candra-Tony because Kindra is a bit shaky during new yr time...we can still remember they won China Open in 2006 and screw up in 2007.

Cai Yun-Fu Hai Feng v Lars Paarske-Jonas Rasmussen. The Danes might have beaten the top 2 Malaysian pair...However these are done in rubber sets and they would be too tired to take on the Chinese while the Chinese disposed Sudket and a Japanese pair easily in the previous round

XD

Nathan Robertson-Gail Emms v Lee Yong Dae-Lee Hyo Jung. I just pick the Koreans because of my hatred towards Nathan....Come on Lee Yong Dae show him some of your goods

He Han Bin-Yu Yang v Saralee Thungkongkam-Sudket Prakthakamol. Fiuh I have trouble in the spelling for the Thai but nevertheless they should take this tie and progress to the final

Well other categories doesn't interest me so I'll just do a quick one

Lee CHong Wei will win Single title
    WD not much interest
    Zhu Lin would win the women one

Ok bye for now

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    ditto, and i saved some typing:)

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    MEN'S SINGLES
    Lee Chong Wei [1] vs Chen Yu [8] -- LCW should be able to go all the way to win this. he was very close with both CO and HKO last year and still in very good form.

Lee Hyun Il vs Kenneth Jonassen -- still not convinced that LHI can be at the top again.

MEN'S DOUBLES
    Lars Paaske/Jonas Rasmussen vs Fu Haifeng/Cai Yun [2] -- JR/LP all the way. they are on fire to have beaten two top MAS pair at their home ground. while their record against FHF/CY isn't that great, FHF/CY never seem to be in form in the past year.

Tony Gunawan/Candra Wijaya [4] vs Markis Kido/Hendra Setiawan [2] -- if the HKO final is any basis, this will mean that Markis/Hendra are faster, youngster, and more powerful than the veterans.

WOMEN'S SINGLES
    Tine Rasmussen vs Pi Hongyan [5] -- it will be a close one. my take is that Tine will come out on top. Pi hasn't the speed and court coverage to keep up with Tine.

Wong Mew Choo [8] vs Zhu Lin [3] -- Zhu Lin is shaky at best and she makes it up by being a hardworker on court. but Choo Choo train will rumble through.

WOMEN'S DOUBLES

Yang Wei/Zhang Jiewen vs. Lee Kyung Won/Lee Hyo Jung - Lee will be tired after the XD.
    Du Jing/Yu Yang vs. Gao Ling / Zhao Tingting - it will be a close fight, but my guess is that Du Jing / Yu Yang will win in 3 games.

MIXED DOUBLES
    He Hanbin/Yu Yang [4] vs Sudket Prapakamol/Saralee Thoungthongkam [8] -- Sudket/Saralee for the experience. they just need to keep their focus and be consistent.

Nathan Robertson/Gail Emms [5] vs Lee Yong Dae/Lee Hyo Jung -- i never liked the British pair.

13. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..

..couldn't get any honest than that...:p ;)

14. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    My Prediction

MEN'S SINGLES
    Lee Chong Wei [1] vs Chen Yu [8] -- LCW had a slow start. But after watching his play against Simon.. i dont think he will have problem playing against Chen Yu. Furthermore Chen Yu is still having hard time playing in Malaysian ground this time.

Lee Hyun Il vs Kenneth Jonassen -- Its nice to have Kenneth to advance to the Final. Lee Hyun Il is abit slow still, but he is getting there.

MEN'S DOUBLES
    Lars Paaske/Jonas Rasmussen vs Fu Haifeng/Cai Yun [2] -- Cai Yun and FU still has it. I think they might advance to the Finals.

Tony Gunawan/Candra Wijaya [4] vs Markis Kido/Hendra Setiawan [2] -- I still believe in the Oldies. They have been playing well in the MO this far. Markis Kido/Hendra was a little slow playing the in the tournament and has been getting alot of points due to their opponent's errors.

WOMEN'S SINGLES
    Tine Rasmussen vs Pi Hongyan [5] -- Tine is on fire! She has been moving fast on court. Better coverage and she is aggresive. Personally i don't think Pi can give Tine any problem this time.
    Wong Mew Choo [8] vs Zhu Lin [3] -- This will be a close call. ZhuLin is at her usual best. and Wong Mew Choo has been stretched by Eriko Hirose yesterday. If Wong can take advantage of the crowd support.. she might be able to pull it thru.

WOMEN'S DOUBLES

Yang Wei/Zhang Jiewen vs. Lee Kyung Won/Lee Hyo Jung - The Chinese will take it.

Du Jing/Yu Yang vs. Gao Ling / Zhao Tingting - Du Jing and Yu Yang has been very aggresive on court. And optimistic about their chances facing Gao/TingTing.

MIXED DOUBLES
    He Hanbin/Yu Yang [4] vs Sudket Prapakamol/Saralee Thoungthongkam [8] -- Unless He Hanbin can change his game.. they might be able to steal it from the Thais. But based on the experience and current game form.. The Thais will seal this match.

Nathan Robertson/Gail Emms [5] vs Lee Yong Dae/Lee Hyo Jung -- Koreans Forever!

15. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    MALAYSIA OPEN SS 2008: Who will make it to the Finals?

MEN'S SINGLES
    Lee Chong Wei [1] vs Chen Yu [8] -- LCW should win and he will continue to win the MS title on Sunday. He is one level higher than all the rest at this tournament.

Lee Hyun Il vs Kenneth Jonassen [7] -- KJ is definitely on fire and it looks like he is the one to meet LCW at the Final.

MEN'S DOUBLES
    Lars Paaske/Jonas Rasmussen vs Fu Haifeng/Cai Yun [3] -- LP/JR are definitely on fire too. After beating the [1] and [5] seeds, I can't see why they can't beat the [3] seed.

Tony Gunawan/Candra Wijaya [4] vs Markis Kido/Hendra Setiawan [2] -- MK/HS are faster and have more power than TG/CW IMHO. LP/JR will be waiting for them on Sunday.

WOMEN'S SINGLES
    Tine Rasmussen vs Pi Hongyan [5] -- TR's confidence has been lifted by her teammates, KJ and LP/JR. She will want to continue to remain with her teammates. And she's in good form too.

Wong Mew Choo [8] vs Zhu Lin [3] -- I am a bit worried for WMC. Her match against Eriko Hirose was not that convincing last night. In fact, it was EH who made silly mistakes that allowed WMC to get to the Semi-Finals. Good luck to WMC.

WOMEN'S DOUBLES -- Not interesting at all. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

MIXED DOUBLES
    He Hanbin/Yu Yang [4] vs Sudket Prapakamol/Saralee Thoungthongkam [8] -- This will be an interesting match. I think HHB/YY have only a very slight edge over the Thais.

Nathan Robertson/Gail Emms [5] vs Lee Yong Dae/Lee Hyo Jung -- The confidence of NR/GE will help them beat the Korean pair. It looks like a HHB/YY vs NR/GE Final on Sunday.

#15 chris-ccc, Jan 18, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  16. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Chris, you still picked WMC to win despite all this? :D I would like her to win too, but as prediction, I must say that Zhu Lin is in better form. I hope she will get her game back on track. Too tense last night.

Indeed Hirose made too many errors especially with her clears, she should have persisted with her net and delicate drop game.

17. Tjun Tjun

Tjun Tjun Regular Member

Abedeng, would like to thank you for your constant stream of live report from the stadium last night. Much appreciated by all of us here.

18. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Rexy said "Enough is enough"

Hahaha... Sometimes my heart governs my decision-making, not my brain. :):):)

BTW, just hearing about Rexy's decision to quit BAM affected me greatly right now. :(:(:(

Having known Rexy, I can say I know how he feels (heartwise). It will take me some time to make any comment on this matter in that thread.

Rexy could have made his announcement after the Malaysia Open SS 2008 is over, but his heart said "Enough is enough".

19. vching

vching Regular Member

Student
  20. pauline

pauline Regular Member

students
    wow,the line-up for semis looks very interesting (well,maybe except WD) despite a dissapointing performance from INA team and the loss of Mas MDs!