Malaysia Open 2007 - Day 6 - FINALS

Discussion in 'Malaysia Open / Korea Open 2007' started by kwun, Jan 20, 2007.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Doubles Games: It is the combined force that makes a partnership works well

Hi ck1981,

Correct...... A Doubles player is to help the other partner to form/work as an effective/efficient partnership.

It is the combined force that makes a partnership works well.

Cheers... chris@ccc

2. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    The steep half-smash needs a taller person for proper execution. Maybe Mew Choo could improve on her upper body strength instead to add more sting to her smashes. But footwork is difficult to improve, it goes with the basics such as how to hold a racquet. When Malaysia first engaged a foreign coach in the late 80s, he complained that our squad had all the basics wrong.

The Danes are very economical with their movement. Probably why we still see them in top condition when they reach their 30s.

Just seen the WS final video, the scoreline didn't reflect how hard Zhu Lin toiled. Still young, but she was already breathless at the end of the 1st game. I would have expected all Chinese players to have excellent stamina, much like the Koreans and Japanese.

3. jeyel

jeyel Regular Member

Compared to their M'sian predecessors, I think KKK/TBH are much better overall, in terms of speed, tactical awareness, pure aggresiveness and tough mental strength. They are superstars already for sure. They dont have to win everytime they play a tournament. Which doubles pair is capable of that?

4. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

I noticed that too --- her tiredness. Zhulin is a reasonably big gal and I think it is expected that she will tire faster than Mew Choo. I agree that Mew Choo should take on a bit of weights training to beef up her upper body --- she is too skinny. Besides it will help her look good. LOL

5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

To continue...

..(ok, since the other thread was locked and i can't reply back, i'm posting specifically bigmojo's reply to my post here. Hope mods/kwun won't mind. Don't worry, nothing personal from me, just replying back)..:cool:
    bigmojo, first, don't get me wrong. I'm not piggybacking, but if you've by any chance read, I, myself mentioned the same thing also in another post in this same thread. That perhaps Tony's & Candra's ages have caught up with them. See:
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40071&page=35 (post#613)
    I also concur(as i've posted in my other older posts) that some of the current veterans that are still competing will most likely see their last last shining moments in next yr's Olympics, probably even sooner. That's just reality.;)
    However, wondering if Tony & Candra "would have won the 3rd set if there had been one?", well, eventhough it's pure conjecture, but i myself can't really nor never said they would nor wouldn't won it. I also don't recall(if my memory serves me right or if other posters can correct me) any replies from posters that "predicted" if the match had gone to 3rd set, Tony & Candra would've lost or won. cooler, and to a certain extent a few others, only wondered the question or possibility of what would've happened, but never predicted. However, the only "prediction" so far, as i can see, has come from your post(as i've highlighted above). IMO, predictions are fine and it's completely anyone's right to do so, but i'm sure you know how predictions go (if you've read back on this thread, remember the pre-Finals predictions by many posters here on the MD match, for whatever reasons, how many of them predicted TG&CW to win?). And by saying that if "they had gone to 3rd set, Tony & Candra would have lost", IMO, that's almost as bold a prediction as what the posters did prior to the Finals. Remember, after they had lost, no other posters "predicted" TG&CW would've won, if they had gone to rubber set, except coming from your post.
    As far as :
    1. "Don't set your sights too high on a rematch between TG/CW and KKK/TBH at the upcoming Korean Open" and
    2. "Unless the draw is such that they meet in the early rounds as I dont think TG/CW will make it to the finals."
    Well, i'll leave those two "predictions" to whatever outcome they'll present itself. And i'm sure you(and the rest of us) have seen how our predictions can go..;):cool:

#665 ctjcad, Jan 22, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2007
  6. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Ehm...^^

...sorry, azabaz_ipoh, i know you wanted to query that to bigmojo, but i think it's best to stray off of that from this thread..i just checked on bigmojo's posts history, and i believe almost 50% of his posts have been involved in a locked thread..:p:( ;)

7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Funny word you used "Toilet". :) Normally they will have not time to go to the toilet if they have to listen to their coach's feedback. But they certainly need the "Towel" to wipe their perspiration! :D

8. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I think he meant toilet break for himself (the viewer) rather than the players.

9. Speed & Power

Speed & Power Regular Member

I think the success of Malaysian badminton players is not an issue of ethnicity. I happen to pick Hafiz Hashim as my example of a periodic performer but I could have picked Lee Chong Wei too (who has now not won any major title for quite sometime). Anyway, lets monitor the progress of KKK & TBH too see whether they would end up as periodic performers too.

10. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    No wonder I didn't see you at the stadium watching in person. I hope TBH's father was there to celebrate such a great win by his son and KKK.

I wonder whose talking rubbish now that the young Malaysian pair has won convincingly! They were too fast for the veterans and were able to match them in all departments.

Congrats to KKK/TBH! We should see more victories from them this year! :)

11. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    yeah, sorry i bite the bait. i should really just ignore the ignorance of bigmojo. i have never seen any badminton player as malay or chinese. i support malaysian players regardless except when they play like they dont want to win. i always supported wong choong hann because he is always a fighter. and ong ewe hock. i still remember him flying around the court. and foo kok keong. and i have seen players who seemed like they lost the will to fight. i am dissapointed in hafiz. i know he could do better. lee chong wei too when he was playing bao chun lai. maybe he was injured or something but he lacks the fighting spirit. so dont attach any malaysian player to any label because they are ALL MALAYSIAN PLAYER. and i am proud of every one of them. and i sincerely hope none of them are periodic performer or as we say in malaysia "jaguh kampung". i wish for them the kind of domination a hard working player deserves.

#671 azabaz_ipoh, Jan 23, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2007
  12. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    He, he, toilet break is more interesting than time-out or coffee break ....:D

How about changing the mid-game break to a proper timeout system, which could be called by the coach at any time in the game? More interesting, no?

On a more serious note, all this bickering about Tony/Candra's defeat to Koo/Tan and glorifying the win endlessly shows no respect to Tony/Candra. They have achieved so much, together and with other partners. Not that it does any justice to Koo/Tan and Rexy, might even harm their progress.

Last time it was all about Taufik, LCW and Lin Dan. What's next, why can't we just enjoy the game and be responsible forummers/supporters.

You know who I respect the most? Players that work so hard, with little or no natural talent, who might not even win majors or ever be legends, but who always manage to trouble the best players. Players who always gave their all like Ilie Sumirat, Foo Kok Keong, Xiong Guobao, Jonassen, Wong Mew Choo, the 3 cute Jap KOs etc.

Have you ever seen current players vomit on court from sheer exhaustion like Foo Kok Keong, and kept on playing?

#672 abedeng, Jan 23, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2007
  13. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

U're right. TG/CW is still one of the best and the most respected pair of all time, 1 defeat will not make them less of that nor shameful. They just lost to a better player that day, but even KKK/TBH still shows respect to them in the interviews after the match. Rexy is aware of wat the limelight will bring to the youngsters, thats why he nvr gave any colouful praises to them to make sure they stay clear headed & focus.

14. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Eh, what do you mean? I think Eriko has lots of natural talent.

Among all, I think Foo Kok Keong has the least natural talent, but I like to see him play. He has the talent of determination and willpower.

15. Kamen

Kamen Regular Member

Self-Employed
    Loh, were you seated on the last row (slightly left to the playing court) holding a camera with a stand (not tripod but with a single leg) during the finals?

16. ceeway

ceeway Regular Member

Really glad to b thr tat day:) 2 b able 2cheer for KKK&TBH...and took photos plus signatures..hehehe..yes i was 1 of them who cause KKK&TBH cant get their bags packed:D they are really friendly..sky tan is so cute...when fans surrounded him 2get photos n sign he said faintly'wo gan zhe zhuo fei ji qu han guo'(i m in a hurry 2get up the plane to go korea)..'zhou bu liao..'(couldnt leave..)haha..:p

17. Speed & Power

Speed & Power Regular Member

What has been quoted here is very important to keep the unity of Malaysian fans and even the Malaysian national players. When racism comes into any sport, it totally destroys the beauty of the game! Whether a player is a Chinese, Malay or some other ethnic group member of Malaysia the most important thing to bear in mind is that they play under the banner of Malaysia and not as Malaysian "Chinese" or Malaysian "Malay" or whatsoever...It is understandable that there will always be some form of ethnic tension in a multicultural society like Malaysia but that shouldn't be brought into sport especially a sport which Malaysia can be proud of, badminton.

18. Malaysianfan

Malaysianfan Regular Member

Speed and Power, i agree with you totally! Hopefully all Malaysian fans will read your post.:p