Malaysia Open 2007 - Day 6 - FINALS

Discussion in 'Malaysia Open / Korea Open 2007' started by kwun, Jan 20, 2007.

1. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Yep, that's what I thought too, TBH's defence is rock solid this time, compared to Japan Open (Razif/Jalani are still better, though). KKK has better focus and stopped playing fancy shots, that too contributed to their success.

Spare a thought to Tony/Candra too, they contributed to making this a very high quality match. Beats the Asian Games matches hands down. We hope to see them again at least until Beijing Olympics.

When you play like this, the audience always appreciates whether you win or lose.

2. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    i totally agree with that. plus i did say they complement each other. i just thought that brownie (that's my nick for TBH) played a very mature game for a 19 year old so i said he is the better player. dia not mean that cookie not good at all. relative comparison for that game only.

3. Dimduo_81

Dimduo_81 Regular Member

Favourite Sons..

First of all, congratulations to the winners!
    I agree that Boon Heong is Rexy's favourite son. I think at one point I heard him telling Boon Heong " not to give up and have more confidence, fight fight fight". I think Boon Heong was a little shaken by the Tony/Candra. Each time Boon Heong wins a match, he will look at Rexy first! It was simply a beautiful thing.

I knew it wouldn't be easy for Tony/Candra to win cos kkk/tbh plays like amoeba. Their tactics were unexpected and they were fast. They also aim their shots only to Candra, one tecnique which was already planned.

I can't wait for the Korean Open. Think Malaysia is grooming a lot of new doubles pair.

Meow Choo is not match to Zhulin, and it was obvious if you see they way both of them play in other matches.

Can someone tell me if Korean Open will be aired live? Or can I watch online?

4. Jessica

Jessica Regular Member

Student
    Ya,they are a great pair but they still need a lot of improvement.Lets us just wait and see as rexy said he would only say KKK/TBH the best pair when they win the olympic gold medal next year.I just hope they can continue improving coz the talented players like both of them are really needed in badminton sports.Finally,don't just prasing them and we must also remember the most important person-Rexy.Without him,they will never have a good results.

5. Inky2000

Inky2000 Regular Member

... which means that given the right training, TBH could become the most talented doubles player of his generation, instead of KKK?

But I do hope to see the coming-of-age of TBH a couple of years down the road. What if Rexy quit Malaysia team by then?

6. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Agreed. I think it is because Mew Choo does not have a strong 'smash' weapon (no strength). Her tools comprising of long rallies, trick drop shots, and good placements are good but are never going to hurt Zhulin or Zhang Ning in any big way. And this was capitalised on by Zhulin.

I think it will be hard for her to beat stronger opponents like Zhulin or Zhang Ning, who have stronger smashes than hers. She needs to work the shuttle faster and play better net shots. And also go for body plays to win quick points. Long rallies with Zhulin can let her down -- coz most times it ended with Zhulin winning a smash or an acute drop shot.

7. Jessica

Jessica Regular Member

Student
    Well,i don't think we need to discuss and comparing who is better between two of them here.:p In my opinion, both of them are equally good coz without each other,they won't win the match.Doubles game is cooperate between two player and we are not fair to say who is better in the game.;) Each of them depends on each other to win the game.

8. phualc

phualc Regular Member

I watched the matches LIVE at the stadium for the semi final and final yesterday. The MD was excellent and both KK and TBH shown good spirite and you can see they were motivating each other during the games. I have never seen our players doing this for too long!!

It was pretty usual to see TG/CW lost in straight set.I would like to see KKK/TBH can have re-match with them in the coming Korean Open and prove me wrong....

9. phualc

phualc Regular Member

You are absolutely right! Being M'sian I always support our own players and pround of their achievements. It is too early to crown the 2 young lads with only 2 titles in hands. Ricky must bring them back to ground and continue to improve their games. I still feel that KKK/TBH still lacking of power in their smashes unlike Kido/Setiawan, Cheah Soon Kiat and Ricky and Rexy. No doubt they are fast especially KKK in front of the net...

10. Baderz_Jas

Baderz_Jas Regular Member

Student, business man wannabe =P
    Well done ZB/GL they are a good combination :rolleyes: Well done PG as well the "food poinsoning" :D made him stronger :p just joking ;)
    I'm suprised Candra/Tony lost, but I haven't read the thread about them so :rolleyes:

11. rwchen

rwchen Regular Member

KKK/TBH performed superbly yesterday. Tony/Candra can't match up with them in terms of speed although they still played wonderfully. They took the loss in their stride and certainly won the respect of the crowd. Just hope that KKK/TBH can maintain their winning streak in KO and there are more thrilling matches to come. At the same time, I am disappointed with the Chinese team. There had been a number of occasions that a walkover was conceded at the semifinal stage when there was a all Chinese encounter. It happened during the World Junior WS semifinal in 2004 as well as a number of semifinal or final that involved their WD in a few open tourneys two/three years back and the latest one was Chen Hong-Bao CL match. I just read in the Chinese website that Chen Hong is going to compete in the Korea Open, what a "surprise"! I really feel bad for this guy.

#651 rwchen, Jan 22, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2007
  12. phualc

phualc Regular Member

Typical Chinese "kiasu" strategy but ended up BCL didn't capture the title too. In fact the dennish shown tremendous sportmanship, Peter was dragged for 3 sets before beating Kenneth. Thomas L could have asked either Peter or Kenneth to be"injured" too and conserves energy for the final. Everyone knows Peter was having touble with his health. Peter is the true champion and same goes to the Thomas L!

13. Hot-screensaver

Hot-screensaver Regular Member

Malaysia Open Final pics and videos

I was at the Final, the environment was awesome, the crowd cheering and shouting... But all these can't be described in words, you have to see the pictures and videos!

Check them out on my blog haha... http://www.hot-screensaver.com/2007/01/22/malaysia-open-2007/

I will post more, stay tuned. :p

Attached Files:

14. bigmojo

bigmojo Regular Member

Instead of Rexy's mouth being shut I think the results have shut your mouth up, right?

15. bigmojo

bigmojo Regular Member

Yes I would say you have read the situation accurately. Mew Choo's offensive weapons are few and far between, and the ones she have are all very weak. For her height she has surprisingly flawed footwork. She cant seem to be able to get to her opponent's drop and net shots in time.
    As she is not physically strong, I am of the opinion that she should learn and master the half smash from the master, Misbun Sidek! Now if only she can get Morten Frost to teach her footwork!

16. bigmojo

bigmojo Regular Member

Yikes! How can you not mention that the greatest singles player Malaysia has ever produced is the Maestro, Wong Peng Soon! His nemesis was Dr. Dave Freeman, America's finest player till date.

17. bigmojo

bigmojo Regular Member

Your fears are unfounded. Try to read up a little more on Malaysian politics and you will realize that what happened to Hafiz is not gonna happen to TBH/HHH. Hafiz is bumiputera, TBH/KKK are Chinese! ;)

18. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Wong Peng Soon and Dave Freeman: Brought our beloved Badminton in the limelight

Hi bigmojo,

I am glad that you mentioned Wong Peng Soon and Dave Freeman.

We should thank these 2, and many others, who have brought our beloved Badminton in the limelight.

Cheers... chris@ccc

19. ck1981

ck1981 Regular Member

Ya, agree. If really want to compare who is better, u should not never watch double matches again. U should watch single match instead. For individual skills, they are not considered as the best double player yet, but I can say their combination is very powerful.

20. ck1981

ck1981 Regular Member

Why not? Koo and Chan are capable of beating any top seed players. Just that they are not as consistent as the current pair KKK/TBH.
    If Tony were to partner his Vietnamese pal from USA, could they always make it to the final?