Malaysia Open 07 Marks the Start of Super Series

Discussion in 'Malaysia Open / Korea Open 2007' started by ants, Jul 22, 2006.

1. erin_hakkinen

erin_hakkinen Regular Member

Business Student
    From Wangsa Maju Putra station, take the lrt to go to Masjid Jamek Putra station, then get off the train, walk to Masjid Jamek STAR Station (just beside the Putra Station) and take STAR lrt to Maluri Station. Then can walk to the stadium, its just a few minutes away.

Err..kinda confusing the way i write? I hope you understand.lol. :p

2. Choyonn

Choyonn Regular Member

It is just 5 minutes walk, hmm... I think you cannot see the stadium at the station, but trust me it is extremely near.

3. yannie

yannie Regular Member

I want to go to Malaysia Open... I want to go to Malaysia Open... I want to go to Malaysia Open...

CRY...

So since I'm not going you all must take 1000 pictures for me each!!!

4. Choyonn

Choyonn Regular Member

I am not going to Malaysia open, but will go to All England after 2 months later. Anyway, wish Malaysian team can have good results in both tournament

5. Inky2000

Inky2000 Regular Member

Source: The Star (Dec 19, 2006)

Kien Keat-Boon Heong out of Super Series opening leg
    BY RAJES PAUL

KUALA LUMPUR: Asian Games men’s badminton doubles gold medallist Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong are set to miss the Malaysian Open which doubles up as the first leg of the Super Series at the Kuala Lumpur Badminton Stadium (KLBA) from Jan 16-21.
    The pair are currently ranked 119th in the world and it is not enough for them to make the cut for the opening leg. Only the top 60 in the world ranking list of the respective events gets direct entry into the Super Series.

The top 28 go directly into the main while four others will come through the qualifying round, which involved a maximum of 32 players.

Replacements are only allowed if those ranked in the top 60 decide to pull out. And once the draw is made, there will be no replacements.

In short, the ranking of players will be very important under the highly anticipated Badminton World Federation (BWF)’s Super Series.
    National men doubles coach Rexy Mainaky said it would be unfortunate if the public could not get a chance to watch the Asiad doubles champions in action during the home Grand Prix.

“I am sure that many Malaysians want to see Koo and Tan in action they surprised everyone to win the Asian Games gold,” said Rexy after a training session at the Gymnasium Two in Bukit Jalil yesterday.

“But they are new (as a pair) and their world ranking is low. Let’s wait for the entries to be finalised. If the response is poor, Koo-Tan may get a chance. But I reckon, it will be very slim indeed.

“But I am all out for this Super Series. The changes will be good for the sport.”

Kien Keat-Boon Heong, who was earmarked only for the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games, played for the first time as a pair during the Thomas Cup Finals in Japan in May.

But they only made heads turn when they emerged as the Japan Open runner-up in October.

Immediately, they were named as permanent partners and sent for their first major tournament - the Doha Games early this month.

And they justified the faith of their coach Rexy with the gold medal. En route to the title they beat three prominent pairs – world champions Cai Yun-Fu Haifeng of China, talented Markis Kido-Hendra Setiawan of Indonesia and the experienced Luluk Hadiyanto-Alven Yulianto of Indonesia.

Rexy said he would send Kien Keat-Boon Heong for lower ranked tournaments to improve their world rankings.

“We have no choice now. Koo-Tan will be sent for Satellite tournaments now to help them improve their rankings. We want them to be able to compete in the Super Series and also the World Championships. We will identify the tournaments for them soon,” added Rexy.

For the record, Kien Keat-Boon Heong ended Malaysia’s 36-year gold drought in badminton at the Doha Asiad.
    Yesterday, all the players, who had competed in Doha, resumed their training ahead of the Kuala Lumpur Open, which will begin with the Division One events on Wednesday at the KLBA.

6. darenong

darenong Regular Member

anyone organizing a meet up to the final of the super seriesssss ..... ???? group tickets is cheaper ??????? anyone ???? i hope we can all sit like in one row ..... so we can shout together or sumthing .....

7. little_bird

little_bird Regular Member

So is it confirmed that it's going to be held at Kuala Lumpur Badminton Stadium?

8. sherlyn

sherlyn Regular Member

so sad kkk and tbh wont be able to play in malaysia open 2007. Else I'll fly all the way from hometown to support them...sigh~ can't wait to see both of them in action again...
    there's still a chance, but only if response for the 60 top rankers are poor.. but seems like the chance will be very thin :(

9. taufikk

taufikk Regular Member

hi sherlyn..are u sure KKK & TBH won't be playing..that is sad but I'm sure they will be there right..

10. Inky2000

Inky2000 Regular Member

Scroll up this page and read the news article that I pasted days ago. Their world ranking is too low to be qualified in the super series.

11. jurong_twister

jurong_twister Regular Member

None
    How about wild card? I thought the host will get 2 wild cards?

Can't they even go from qualification round?

12. sherlyn

sherlyn Regular Member

yup, since both of them are ranked 119th, so chance is extremely thin. Else u can pray that not much 60 top rankers will take part after the new year celebration...lol :D

13. little_bird

little_bird Regular Member

Below is the email that I've received from BAM:

Kuala Lumpur Badminton Stadium, Cheras.

BAM

14. Inky2000

Inky2000 Regular Member

Let's hope they can do well at 3rd & 4th level competitions in the next few months in order to earn the tickets to Super Series just in time for Singapore Open in May - the first competition that offers qualification points for Beijing Olympiad.

#74 Inky2000, Dec 20, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2006
  15. Ching293

Ching293 Regular Member

Asiad gold medallists get to compete in Malaysian Open

PETALING JAYA: Asian Games men's doubles gold medallists Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong will get to compete in the US$200,000 Malaysian Open after all.
    But they have to play in the qualifying tournament of the opening leg of the Super Series, which will be held at the Kuala Lumpur Badminton Stadium (KLBA) from Jan 16-21.
    The withdrawals of players from the small badminton playing nations have given Kien Keat-Boon Heong, who are now ranked 119th in the world, a place in the qualifiers.
    The Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) secretary, P. Ganga Rao, said yesterday: “The closing date for the Open was on Wednesday. Most of the top pairs will feature in the tournament.
    “But some countries have decided to stay away and this has given Kien Keat-Boon Heong the chance to make it to the main draw from the qualifying tournament.”
    Only the top 60 in the Badminton World Federation's (BWF) rankings in the respective events get direct entry into the Super Series.
    The top 28 go into the main draw while four others will come from the qualifying rounds, which involve a maximum of 32 players.
    Replacements are only allowed if those ranked in the top 60 decide to pull out. And once the draw is made, there can be no replacement.
    The BAM will announce the stars for the tournament soon.

- star online

16. Ching293

Ching293 Regular Member

Badminton/Malaysia Open: Kien Keat-Boon Heong get a shot

22 Dec 2006
    K.M. Boopathy

ASIAN Games champions Koo Kien Keat and Tan Boon Heong will get an opportunity to compete in the Malaysia Open badminton championships after all.

Initially it was feared that Kien Keat-Boon Heong, ranked World No 117, would miss the cut as only 32 pairs will be competing in the main draw while another 32 will play in the qualifying round of the Malaysia Open, to be held at KLBA Stadium on Jan 16-21, which is the first tournament under the Super Series circuit.

Kien Keat-Boon Heong, who are Malaysia’s best bets for a medal in the 2008 Beijing Olympics, will have to break into the top 10 as early as possible to avoid a last minute scramble to make it to the Olympics.

Kien Keat said it is a relief that they have gained a chance to compete in the Malaysia Open as the main goal is to confirm their Olympic qualification by the end of next year.

"Our main objective is to confirm our Olympic qualification and every tournament we compete in is crucial," said Kien Keat.

"We consider ourselves lucky to be competing in the Malaysia Open as it can help us improve our world ranking.

"Had we missed out, it would have become difficult as we cannot play in the Korea Open (on Jan 23-28) and we may have to wait until the All-England in March.

"It is always better to confirm qualification early so that we can remain focused in preparing for the Olympics."

The Olympic qualification period is from next May 1 to April 30, 2008 and Malaysian shuttlers, unlike China’s players, have always left it to the final tournament to qualify.

National doubles coach Rexy Mainaky said there is no need to panic as Kien Keat-Boon Heong will also be competing in several satellite tournaments and the German Open on Feb 25-Mar 4 to improve their ranking.

The two satellite events which will be considered are the Swedish International on Jan 25-28 and the Austrian International on Feb 22-25 should the pair fail to qualify for the All-England on Mar 6-11 and Swiss Open on Mar 13-18.

"It is good that they can play in the Malaysia Open but I don’t think they can qualify for the All-England and Swiss Open," said Rexy.

"I will enter them for the German Open and satellite events to improve their ranking so that they can focus on competing in the Super Series.

"Their preparation is also important and I don’t want them to compete in too many tournaments just yet as they have not resumed full training since returning from the Asian Games.

"There is no need to panic yet and they should qualify for the Super Series if they can win the satellite events and the German Open."

Another new combination — Chan Chong Ming-Hoon Thien How — will also compete in the Malaysia Open alongside Choong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah, Lin Woon Fui-Fairuzizuan Tazari, Gan Teik Chai-Zakry Latif and Tan Bin Shen-Ong Soon Hock.

17. haifeng4ever

haifeng4ever Regular Member

Good news! Glad that KKK/TBH and CCM/HTH can participate in MO. Hurray for them!

18. sherlyn

sherlyn Regular Member

yeah! I'm..
    .::Glad..Happy..Thrilled..Overjoyed..Delighted..Excited::.
    Hip Hip Hurray!!
    :D :D :D

19. Jessica

Jessica Regular Member

Student
    Really congrat to them...With them,i think all the top pairs wanted to compete in Mas open coz everyone wish to defeat them....So,just hope them can go into the final...Don't worry,next year is definitely their year...All their fans will see them play oftenly...

20. Ethan

Ethan Regular Member

6 pairs now for MAS