Malaysia Badminton results discussion

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by nokh88, Jun 29, 2017.

1. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    The boost to rise
    image: https://www.thestar.com.my/~/media/...hash=09C97CBF8212C48CDA38479833C02775829A6186

[​IMG]
    KUALA LUMPUR: After an impressive outing at the recent Sudirman Cup, national singles shuttler Lee Zii Jia (pic) is targeting to break into the top 10 by the end of this year.

The world No. 20 showed composure to dismiss world No. 13 Sameer Verma 21-13, 21-15 of India in the group stage of the World Mixed Team Championships in Nanning, China.

Zii Jia’s win proved decisive after world No. 13 mixed doubles pair Goh Soon Huat-Shevon Lai Jemie lost 21-16, 17-21, 22-24 to world No. 27 Satwiksairaj Rankireddy-Ashwini Ponnappa in the opening match. His conquest of Sameer helped Malaysia to a 3-2 win.

In the quarter-finals, Zii Jia gave a decent fight against world No. 1 Kento Momota of Japan before losing 18-21, 16-21, in 53 minutes.

Although he also lost to China’s world No. 2 Shi Yuqi 12-21, 11-21 in the first group match, the experience Zii Jia gained at the world meet will motivate him to hit new heights.

“I think my overall performance was not bad and of course, the highlight was beating Sameer,” he said.

“Against Momota, I did everything I could but he’s the world No. 1 and it’s not easy to play him but I will learn from this.

“Playing against the top two in such a short period of time was a very good lesson for me but they are more experienced than me, so with more training and tournaments, hopefully I can be good enough to match them one day.

“I also learned from the way Shi Yuqi played Momota in the final. Maybe because Japan were already 2-0 down, Momota felt under pressure and Shi Yuqi took advantage of that.”

When asked how long he may need to catch up with the rest of the world’s top players, Zii Jia said: “Maybe in two years or more but I need more tournaments under my belt to get the experience and confidence.

“I don’t want to think too far ahead for now and I just hope to maintain my current form and slowly improve so that I can be a better player,” added Zii Jia.

“To break into the world’s top 10 is definitely a target I’ve set for myself this year but a lot of work still needs to be done, so I’ll just wait and see what my ranking will be.”

Zii Jia will continue his chase for an Olympic berth at the Australian Open in Sydney next week.

He started his campaign with a quarter-final finish at the New Zealand Open earlier this month.

He stretched world No. 16 Angus Ng Ka Long of Hong Kong to a rubber game before losing 17-21, 21-11, 19-21 in 65 minutes.

He faces a rematch against Sameer in the first round in Sydney.

“Hopefully, I can beat him again. I hope to get in the quarter-finals first and then I’ll try to break into the semi-finals.

“But it’ll be very tough because all the players are also chasing Olympic points, so every round will be difficult.”

Read more at https://www.thestar.com.my/sport/badminton/2019/05/30/the-boost-to-rise/#kBrTqO5JwOC6d5vL.99

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Everyone miss Datuk LCW participation in this year Sudirman Cup ( in fact ....we miss him a lot..........in fact..... we miss his name a lot in all tournaments that we've used to hear his name participating in.......)

World no 20, Lee Zii Jia showed some light and hope that our MS dept has someone that can probably fill that gargantuan void (when Datuk is no more with us) accessing from his recent results in the Sudirman Cup and esp on how he played against Kento. It's a do or die mission forward now for him and he must step up fast within this short coming years because at his current competitive age, he must already able to produce consistent world class results, break into the top 10 or higher ranking and established himself as one of the top contender and threat to other top players in any tournament he's participating.

History has showed us that all great badminton players ( from the previous until to the current generation ) started their career pathway and eventually able to make a foothold and established themselves as world class players by starting their achievements from making consistent and world class results earlier while they're still young and within their productive/competitive age. If Lee Zii Jia wants to establish himself as a world class contender in this short coming future, he need to do it now.

SS

2. pajrul

pajrul Regular Member

..... and so the season of mediocrity and disappointments, post LCW continues... despite promising new talents and resurgence of some old guards

3. pajrul

pajrul Regular Member

After the Indonesian open, overall, i see improvements in all disciplines, except maybe womens doubles... we really need new blood here. The one big flaw that is common in all our players is sustaining the intensity. Almost all of our players do very well in the first set. Skills and technique, we are still world class. However, get in the second set, and you will notice a sudden drop in power and drive. Its as if they got reticent. Most of our competition notice this. All they got to do is increase their intensity and sooner or later our players falter. This is especially true amongst our mens doubles. Similar with our mixed, men and women singles, to a fraction degree. Stamina still bugs ours a lot too

How do we maintain intensity?