Malaysia’s world No 1 shuttler says he’s not in top shape to defend his crown

Discussion in 'Singapore Open / Indonesia Open 2009' started by aramistuscany, Jun 9, 2009.

1. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Cannot mah, waste taxpayers $$$$ go there. Injury or illness (if not too serious) also most of the time, LCW dont simply withdraw, wait kena bash from Sports Minister, like what happened after Denmark Open 2007.

Just that some people cannot get over the Spore Straits Times article, sound like 10 mainstream newspapers publish it, haha.

2. eaglehelang

1) Other player's fans also do so(so same2 lor), if you read the threads, sometimes even more "interesting" the logic. So why upset with LCW only? See the Korea Open 2008 threads if you dont believe. Also one of the "popular" Prof Players thread today, nice banter there.:p

2) Other players have also said before tourney started "This time, I've just recovered from XXX injury/illness, not in good condition as I just go back in training for one/two weeks. But I will do my very best"
    Or when asked by reporters asked "Yes, my YYY injury is still bothering me but I will do my best for my country."
    Or "In the match vs ABC, when I fell my leg/heel hurt a bit,that's why limping now."
    When they lost the next match nobody complain that they early2 say they got injury. Got other examples also but not injury/illness related ;)

#42 eaglehelang, Jun 13, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2009
  3. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Some people are quite selective.............they can accept certain players to do certain things but wont accept the players that they hate to do the same things........thats called double standard.....:D:D:D

Like BCL told the world he is have knee pain and still considering if to have surgery......CJ have waist injury ..........MK having knee injury.........and nobody ask 'Why still paraticipate...?'................:confused::confused::confused:

4. eaglehelang

:D:D:D back to you. I was actually refering to Taufik during SS Finals, he straight out say he went to oblige sponsor Yonex & "still nursing back injury", before competition start. Remember TH withdraw already then suddenly he appear.
    Hiyaa, Fuzzy pair (Zakry) also say bf "We are not in the best condition." The next day they lost, nobody even notice that statement.
    MK you mean Maria Kristin? WMC also is often asked abt her knee injuries bf tourney start, she very straight forward one, her knee hurt also she say (SS FInals). ;)

5. laivc

laivc Regular Member

Sales
    I think it is high time for u to check out the Yonex website and the forum to update yourself on the badminton world, a lot of things have changed since the April 09.:)

6. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

agree with you on this;)
    i can see lcw is now the poster boy for yonex;)

7. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Yes,..It used to be LD and TH........now will be LCW and TH...

Wonder some people may complaint about LCW being the poster boy.;););)

8. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Imho

Though I am a big fan of Lee Chong Wei, I do think he has flaws that need to be amend :
    1) Care too much about being world #1
    May be that has something to do with BAM allowance based on world ranking but I think Chong Wei should care more on his preparation on individual tournament. Do not go if he's not well prepare. Being #1 also comes with burden so it's better he doesn't think too much about it.
    2) Be a great player, be more selective
    Most of us agreed he has the skill to be the great player but lacking those essential titles like AE, WC or Olympic will keep him out so he should really concentrate on those essential tournaments! Really, who cares or remembers if he win few more Super Series, we only remember he has yet to win any of the essential great tournaments.
    3)Continue to work and accept defeat
    There's no issue on his work ethics but be a more mature player and accept defeat without excuse. Great player doesn't always win but the one who plays great usually does!
    4)Get another "see foo"(coach)
    I think Hendrawan will be a good "see foo" for Chong Wei, not that much in terms of techniques rather philosophy of being a great player. Is like Phil Jackson of Laker able to bring the best out of players!

9. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Guru Han: I agree with everything you say:)...I have a question for you...if you are a high school dropout with no post education but a great skill playing badminton for a passionate, generous, deep pocket, baddy nation like MAS and knowing after the sun set on your career (could be 2-3 years time) you are pretty much on your own...would you milk all you can now when you are still competitive and pad up your bank account book and retire happily and financially set, rather than chasing some majors which would be great to win but you know, LD and CHN will be out to nail you and not letting you easy in AE, WC and of course OLY...who cares the fan bickering about what trophies, leave those arguments for the ages...the same logic applies to almost all pro baddy players, it is a business first, everything else second...for me I take the millions and the Datuks than some titles;)

10. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    that is one of the great tactic.
    furthermore, LCW already got his pension scheme. ;)

11. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Pension scheme is great but it sure doesn't hurt to add more $$$ though when he can still do it;) I am not criticizing LCW and other pro players...they have every right and should take care of their future...they entertain us, play for their country and god knows, how difficult the training is and what sacrifice they endure to attain world level...for every LCW in MAS, there are many Sairul, Yeoh Kay Bin, KBH, etc who probably has to do something else when they quit the game and having invested a good chunk of their youth chasing a dream (which LCW has achieved financially and he earns it) and now going nowhere and age is catching up...I don't have the skill like these guys, and even if I do, I would go for something more reassuring like a professional career that may be more promising than a pro baddy career that is more likely to be flickering. A great baddy nation like MAS, how many OLY medalists have achieved pension scheme...probably 4 out of how many players that have worn the MAS jersey?;)

12. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Chong Wei already have the Datuk title and also a million air so isn't it make more sense to build his legacy now? Imagine how much he could make if he wins the WC or AE. I am not asking him to totally skip all the Super Series, I understand the financial side of it but be more selective and concentrate on those great title, for example, skip the Swiss Open and concentrate on All England or skip the Malaysia Gold and concentrate on World Championship.
    I think he can do it still makes lots of money, you know our BAM is more than generous.
    Finally, I thought Chong Wei always think of the fan first ??? :D

13. eaglehelang

LOL, OneTough.. you better come back Msia become manager or agent for LCW.:p
    OG Medalist for Msia so far : Razif, Jailani, Rashid Sidek, Yap KH, Cheah SK and now LCW. Not including the Datuk =5. Those who get same amount pension $$$ as LCW only 2 - good ol Yap & Cheah, who currently still coaching.

As for Han's concern & being selective, there's the political side of things also, sorta. Wait till Misbun come back, see what can be done. And Hendrawan's supposed to be the back up players sifu, maybe + Hafiz. We'll see when Hendrawan turns up in July.;)

14. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Agree with you and I have also posted before he should be more selective, not just to concentrate on the majors but not to wear himself out and risk over-exposure. And agree with you he sure would make more if he crowns the WC, AE and OLY and would be the first MAS player to win WC and OLY, that would be a legacy. Maybe I am looking from another point that by playing more, he enhance his changes of winning SS especially when LD is not playing, thereby rank WR1 and claim BAM bonus/make as much as possible and call it a day in 2/3 years, i.e. like a squirrel gathering all the nuts before old man winter arrives:D...hoping to win WC, AE and OLY12 (he will be an old man in badminton life when OLY12 comes) is not easy when you know CHN is in full force and aiming hard for the same majors....in conclusion, I agree with you.:D

15. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Oh yeah, you are right...5 so far and I thought I read somewhere that BAM made it retroactive to reward bonus $$$ to all past OLY medallists...I agree with you on the political side LCW has to play so much, cos' he and KKK/TBH have the better chance of advancing far.....now what happens when LCW retires or if his skills diminish one day and the juniors are good enough for spanking boys and cannot even get out of the Qualifying round...then MAS is in deep doodo up to the neck...as for Misbun, he is a good match for LCW...and I forgot, MAS has invested deeply in Messiah Hendrawan to do what Moses did, now we have to wait for Hendrawan to part the Red Sea...:p:D

16. OneToughBirdie

engineer