making a facility with glass walls to let in natural sunlight: possible?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by thumpsky, Mar 14, 2014.

1. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

No but it was still too glaring. You don't always look dead straight in badminton, at least not at a certain level and above.

2. thumpsky

thumpsky Regular Member

Student
    you could always have a curtain when the sun is low

3. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

The sun wasn't low, it is just too bright and glaring for badminton (and the glass wall was already tinted). Have you ever tried playing in such an environment? I have and I don't think it would work when the sun is out. It would look good at night, sure, but then there would still be a need for artificial lighting (which in turn defeats the whole objective of using natural light).

4. catman

catman Regular Member

I think you need some sort of curtains or blinds to be able to control the direct sunlight. Otherwise, it might be too bright on sunny days, also the temperature might also go up too high. The air conditioning system also needs to be great - because if you cool the sunny side - the other side that might not be getting the sun - becomes freezing cold. So you need a complex HVAC system with the fancy walls.

5. thumpsky

thumpsky Regular Member

Student
    The glass is good for advertising the place

6. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

Yeah no doubt it looks good and whatnot. But not practical for any non-night badminton use.

7. Linus

Linus Regular Member

Manager
    I played in one court that have the side walls make of full panel glass and it is located on the second floor of a building. Yes the outside light is not suitable for badminton as the amount of light vary during a raly and at a certain angle it shines right into your eyes. Second the glas panel on the side (and the fact it is located on 2nd floor) kind of makes me worry that I might accidentally crash through it when I move sideway along the court even the glass panels are about 3 feets away. I did not enjoy the game at all.

8. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Yeah what the others have said, If you have tried halls that let daylight in you will know there is too much glare and it becomes hard to see the shuttle. It has nothing to do with direct sunlight.

If you want to save money on indoor lighting just use Alfredo Moser's idea and fill plastic coke bottles with water and bleach and stick them through the roof:)

9. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

A badminton hall must not have ANY windows!
    Never ever in my life have I been in a hall where windows were acceptable. Never.
    Windows are evil. Sunlight is evil. Sometimes it's too shiny, sometimes too dark, but never right.
    The best thing to have is well engineered artificial light.

Have I already mentioned that sunlight is evil and windows are never a good thing?

Deal with it: For badminton, you should go in a hall where there are no windows and only artificial light! If you want to see the sun, go to the beach or hiking,r unning, biking, whatever.

10. catman

catman Regular Member

Outdoor badminton is also fun to play. Not as precise as the indoor version - but it's still fun!