Maintaining Shot Variation

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by PinkDawg, Mar 14, 2016.

1. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

Hey everyone,

I was wondering what your thoughts are on having a mindset to maintain shot variation. I find a lot of the time that when I'm in fast-paced situations (for example, my opponent is playing fast-paced shots), that I tend not to vary my shots. Does anyone have any tips? Thanks. :)

2. CrimsonXT1200

CrimsonXT1200 New Member

Is this singles or doubles?

3. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    it's not actually about the mindset, its about your habit and usual pattern of play. This is where you train and try to change it. other than that, there are 2 mindsets:
    1. If it's working, do it again
    2. If it's not working, throw something else and mix it up

Problem is many are too stubborn and have too much pride that they must win at something (like smashing to the same place although its not working). Or then become too much having fun intheir "new toy" and continuosly use it ( always drop because it was working for 2-3 points earler and then doesn't mix it up althogh its clear it isn't working anymore if used alone

Its just little things like:
    1. Xcourt smash
    2. A punch clear when you should smash
    3. A drop
    4. Blocks at drive battles

for you try to train drive battles and block at the 3rd hit do it, then try to bock at the 1st. etc. mix it up.

4. MidCourtMediocrity

MidCourtMediocrity Regular Member

It depends. In singles this is necessary, whereas in doubles, not so much. As a doubles player who's playing more singles these days I smashed ALOT and it would just put me in trouble against players with good defence as I'd run so much to retrieve the shuttle. I now try to hit all four corners through different methods such as half smashes and full smashes and plenty of drops and clears too. If anything, I'm starting to prefer the patient game of singles instead of the constant smashing of doubles.

5. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    It's also important in doubles, If you can win doubles by constant smashing, maybe your opponents only lift back and don't try blocks and drives. Once you get someone with creative defensive skills, a doubles game will be more interesting

6. ein_roboter

ein_roboter Regular Member

Student
    Variety is the spice of life :)

At my club, we have a very simple warming up:
    A multi-feeding exercise, where you have 4 rotations. In each rotation, the trainer plays the shuttle somewhere on court, and you have to play it back to an exact spot each time. So you have 2x front of the court (left & right) where the shuttle has to land and 2x the back of the court (l&r). This exercise challenges you to play certain shots from every position, which can be pretty usefull during a match. The more shots you master, the more variety you can add to your game