"Main"...."Backup": why?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Cheung, Nov 29, 2001.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Noticed that a number of people have "main" racquet and "backup" racquet".
    Presumably, "main" means a racquet that person will usually use and the "backup" only when the strings on the "main" racquet break.

Judging from people's statements, the two racquets may or may not be the same racquet. Many of these people seem to have various other racquets.

1) why do people want to use one racquet most of the time? Would you lose confidence in your shots if the string broke in a tournament?
    2) why only one "backup"? Wouldn't a third racquet be better? Two racquets may break in one tournament.
    3) why different models of "main" racquet and "backup" racquet?

Just my curiosity in knowing people's reasons.
    Thanks

2. trapped-never

trapped-never Regular Member

telecommunication engineer
    Ahoj Cheung,
    I went through similar reasoning recently. I just bought two brand new defensive babolat rackets of the same type and as "a side effect" of my shopping one more RSL offensive racket.
    I decided to change regularily between the two babolats for the first 6 months - I want to discover possible production fault before guaranty is over. I use babolats on my trainings, tournaments and matches where I am concerned about result. I use RSL for fun matches when I want to play more offensive. After the guaranty is over I probably will use just one racket till the string is broken. Then I switch and will use the second one till the string is broken and so on. This approach will reduce probability that both tournament rackets will brake the strings during one event.
    To answer your second question - I think that there are economical reasons. Eleven rackets would give you more confidence than ten...

3. jan

jan Guest

I think the answers are straightforward:

1: If your main racket is better - you use it all the time - and of course it hurts your game to play with the no2 racket!

2: People that don't play that much rare break them strings - if you play loads of tournements you need more than one back-up!

3: I try to get identical rackets myself. But when I need a new one the - It might not be possible and I buy the closest to find!

Jan

4. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    For me, it takes about 2-3 hours of playing to fully adjust to a new (=backup) racquet, to get the timing and touch up to par. Obviously, this creates a problem if my "main" racquet breaks during a tournament.

So indeed, why have different racquets? Well, it's simply an effect of buying racquets over a long period of time instead of buying, say, five identical at once (which I would say is maybe wise but very uncommon). Models come and go, plus one's taste and preference changes over time. I call it progression. :)

5. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    For some players, it might be necessary to have different models strung at different tension to use for different games. Normally, I find that the average players tend to have different models ('coz they bought the racquets over time). Other more competitive players tend to have 3 or 4 racquets of the same model strung at the same tension.

I personally, use different racquets for the different games. I use my Winex Ti-9 (23lbs) for a more defensive game (where I have to do a number of placement shots and some smashes) and my Winex SQ-800 (21lbs) for a more offensive game (more smashes and some placement). My Ti-9 is my main racquet. Since the club that I played in also have recreational type players, I sometimes use an old racquet if the player that I partnered with is more of a beginner level for fear of them hitting my racquet.

If I were to play more competitively, then I would want to have 3 or 4 racquets of the same model strung at the same tension since it is more likely that I wouldn't know what kind of game I will be playing.

6. viver

viver Regular Member

I used to have 4 racquets all the time. Same model, same grip size, same strings and same tension for all of them. When I buy the racquets I also try to find if the balance point is similar to the others that I already have. Of these I also have preference on 1 over the others.

In my training sessions we used to do singles and doubles stuff. Changing racquets affect my strokes timing and in would be a big problem in multi shuttle drills. Once I tried with my coach consent switching my Carlton 3.7X to Yonex 8100 Blacken. In doubles drills (multi shuttle net interceptions) it felt excellent at the beginning but later started to miss many. Difference in weigth/speed caused hitting problems in net. Switched back to my racquet and everything was fine again.

This is of course my personal experience. Other people might feel different and could do better with different racquets in different game situations.

7. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    This is exactly what happen to me. I own and try different racquets over time.
    Now that they're all in good shape, there's no excuse for me to buy any new
    ones (of the same brand).

In tournament situations, I suppose one would want to make all racquets
    identical. However, during regular training or club games, one may want to
    use different racquet. E.g. a heavier racquet to build strength.

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Thanks for the replies.

Here are some of my thoughts on the replies.

I concur with Viver that timing may be put off using a different racquet. Though I do agree with Peter on sometimes using a different racquet for training purposes. However, this (for me) does not truly imply the meaning of "backup" racquet.

Definately it may not be possible to buy the same model racquet a few years later. That's a good point. Isn't it then time to change all your racquets so your previous "main" racquet now becomes "reserved for posterity"?

I don't really understand the statement "your No.1 racquet is better". Why not get the same model racquet with the same strings and tension to lessen the differences?

Lowering the probability of string breakages by using racquets sequentially. The 2nd racquet strings may also break from mishit. It happened to my partner. It happened to me. Both times in tournaments. I dread to think what would have happened if my third racquet broke because I was winning the match (& tournament ). It was a close match. The other thing is the strings will feel much more different (personal experience).

Agree with Mag, if you use the backup racquet rarely, it may take a while to get used to it. Not good for tournament play.

And finally, I don't think it is an important issue when playing recreationally. Only when one plays tournaments is it relevant.
    Forgot to emphasize that before.

This is not a final statement - more discussion is welcomed.

9. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

What do i say! I think Mag said it all for me! I am very lazy when it coems to tournaments. I just skip most tournaments and i think i am not playing regularly anymore!

I use to have 3 AB 2000 when i was playing at my best and all were strung in white GUts ( Bg 65) at 22Lbs adn all used to have the same grip size as in number of grips over it! They even used to have the same color of Grips.

But then i dont even have ONE AB 2000 with me now. I broke 2 of them and the Third is somewhere in California with my friend.

Now my racket rooster is a Iso Ti SP SS, Slim 10, Ti 8 3U, I am going ot buy the Gosen 2000 from Byro(meaning it is reserved), My Fung is on the way from Taiwan.

I am looking at a RSL Offensive racket!

It would be of great help if Trapped Never tells me hwo good these are. I saw the aerometric 900 but then ...

I want to know how costly as plp said it is very cheap in Indo and then How good is it?

Cheung, How many Cab 20's SP do u have. (Blue and Red) adn Guys if all of u can tell me your racket rooster it would be great.

I know that Ricky and Byro have the Biggest Rooster but then........

10. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer
    Yogi,

you meant repetoire or roster and not 'rooster' right ??

11. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Cheung,

** Isn't it then time to change all your racquets so your previous "main" racquet now becomes "reserved for posterity"? **

I guess you have too much money, Cheung.

Sure, a competitive player would view it like this. However, as a truly competitive player you would also have a sponsorship, so you would be getting new racquets anyway...

12. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

I meant Roster and def not Repetoire! I guess i make typo's a lot. I am still not used to the Home PC that i have. I make a lot of mistakes as i tend to hit too keys or stuff liek that.

I also have this thing with "THE". I type a lot of "teh" instead of THE.

Thanks Buddy for pointing out.

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Mag, you are a mind reader. Only you're a few years behind!

That's exactly what I have been doing. I had a few cab 22's but they weren't quite right for me for singles play and I had switched to cab 20. I can still use the cab20's in doubles without much difference in playability.

So for yogesh, the answer is 5 cab 20's. But I bought a few 2nd hand...

Mag might say I got too much money but life used to be real tough before and I'm OK with 2nd hand racquets (if not too battered)

On sponsorship,
    As opposed to UK, HK doesn't have much so much sponsorship deals.
    In UK, I think you can get racquets more cheaply if you are county first team standard. HK doesn't have the large areas like an english county. Plus, there are many other very good amateur players here in a high concentration

14. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    cheung, i see cab22 as more suitable for doubles.

15. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    So Cheung now you're living in H.K.? I was just curious, how is the
    general skill level of the people in H.K? I checked the world ranking
    earlier, looks like H.K. did not too shaby.

Can you find good coaches and good places to play easily? Too bad,
    when I was in H.K. (I grew up there), I didn't pick up this sport. I did
    ping pong instead.

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Social players skill level is on par with other places.

Regular players (not even playing league matches) generally pretty good.

Many coaches around but quite difficult to learn if you do not have PuTongHua/Cantonese/Bahasa. Few English speaking coaches.

A number of ex China, ex Indonesian players around.

17. trapped-never

trapped-never Regular Member

telecommunication engineer
    Ahoj Yogi,

well I use RSL acm3000-2p. It is 4u-2g, head heavy with long shaft. It is claimed that you can use high string tensions on it. <a href="http://www.rsl-sport.de/RSL_blau/Home.html">Look here.</a>
    It is very offensive racket, definitely just for singles. As I said already I use it just for fun - more agressive game than normal. When I play it something tells to me: common smash it!!!