Local Newspaper sports headlines

Discussion in 'Singapore Open 2005 / Malaysia Open 2005' started by weeyet, Jul 11, 2005.

1. weeyet

weeyet Regular Member

Engineer / Freelance pianist
    Today Malaysian newspaper all display Chong Wei's victory in their sports headlines!!

Translated from local leading press,
    Berita Harian (Daily News): Chong Wei on top of the world

The success in an 88-minute final sees Chong Wei became the first national ace to retain Malaysia Open title since Rashid Sidek in 1990/91, and Chong Wei continues his unbeaten streak on home soil Malaysia.

Generated by full support of 5000 fans, Chong Wei bet his combination of terrifying smashing and net play to trick the most feared and globally recognized best player at the present moment, Lin Dan.

Chong Wei said," I am happy and satisfied with this victory. In fact when I enter the court and I did not think of winning, I just want to give my best and finally I succeeded. This victory is so meaningful compared to last year's because I defeated several best players in the world such as Taufik Hidayat, Bao Chunlai and lastly Lin Dan today. I hope this success will not stop here and will continue in the coming WC next month. I want to come back with at least a medal no matter what colour it is.

Chong Wei, who lost to Lin Dan in rubber game in their last and only meet before, seemed to lose easily when trailing 0-7 in the opening set when Lin Dan display a fast playing and smashing. Chong Wei only managed to take one point at position 1-7, and Lin Dan extended the lead to 3-10 before his concentration was affected by controversial line calls. Chong Wei then took the chance to close the gap to 6-10 and level at 12-12. The Malaysian ace was near to finish the set at 14-13 but Lin Dan took the game to dues before Chong Wei stole the set with 17-15.

In the the 2nd set, Lin Dan started aggresively and led by 4-0 before Chong Wei collected the first point but the Chinese looked dedicated to level the overall score to 1-1 (game) and he succeeded with a 15-9 win in the second set.

Thousands of fans in KLBA looked anxious and worried when they saw Chong Wei trailing 0-7 in the decisive set, but the international calmed down himself and found back his rhythm to level to 9-9. He never looked back, took the remaining 6 points and sinked the Chinese's ego at 15-9.

Coach Li Mao said," Chong Wei played brilliantly today and he had a good strategy. Chong Wei and Lin Dan's standard is no big gap but today Chong Wei proved himself that he is capable of beating the world's best player."

#1 weeyet, Jul 11, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2005
  2. weeyet

weeyet Regular Member

Utusan Malaysia: Chong Wei Retains Title. No too high hope in WC.

Translated from leading press utusan malaysia

National men single ace, Lee Chong Wei, tamed the world no.1 Lin Dan from China to appear as the first men singles player succeeding to defend the Malaysia Open title since Rashid Sidek in 1992. The victory will improve the national champion's ranking, after drop to 8th from 4th last Thursday.

On the court as 4th seed, Chong Wei was dragged to play for 88 minutes before defeating the top seed, Lin Dan with 17-15, 9-15, 15-9 in front of 5000 fans in KLBA, Cheras yesterday.

Former national no.1, Rashid is the last player to retain the MS title when won it in 1991, 13 years back, besides creating a hat-trick when he won the champion again in 1992.

Besides taking home USD 9600 cash, more important, Chong Wei is given extra motivation to lead the nation's challenge in next month's WC in Anaheim, US.

Chong Wei said, "This win is much more meaningful than last year. At first, I did not expect to advance to semifinal, more over to meet Taufik Hidayat in quaterfinall; After come to final, I think the chance over Lin Dan is difficult. I agree he is much better but on the court I ony give my best and I didn't want to surrender even though trailing 0-7."

Chong Wei who played in the third successive MO final already hinted taht this victory boost a confidence for him to set semifinal as the target for WC.

Nevertheless, the Taiwan Open Champion does not want to put the hope too high because he is worried what happened in Athens Olympics will repeat.

He said, "After winning last year's MO, all people's eyes were on me when I played in the Olympics. I defeated Chen Hong in MO semifinal but he defeated me in the third round in Athens.

Before sinking Lin Dan, Chong Wei edged Olympic gold medalist, Taufik from Indonesia 15-5, 15-0 in the last eight and sending China young star, Bao Chunlai 11-15, 15-12, 15-9 in the semifinal.

Yesterday's match was witnessed by the Deputy Prime Minister, Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak and his wife, Datin Seri Rosmah Mansor. It is clear that an aggresive Lin Dan controlled the early part of the match, but too mistake from himself gave away points to his oppents.

Chong Wei's strategy was often send the shuttlecock to the baseline before playing at net, this tactics caught the Japan and German Open Champion from China, and succeeded to prevent him to display his best shots.

Chong Wei trailed in all sets.
    The opening set he trailed by 0-7, 1-9 and 1-10 before winning it 15-9. In second set, he trailed by 0-4, 3-10, and moreover in the decisive set trailing 0-7 and 4-8 before come back to win it 15-9.

3. weeyet

weeyet Regular Member

Metro Harian (Daily Metro): Salute Chong Wei

Translated from local press Metro Harian

Lee Chong Wei was like on the peak of the world after one and one world's best players tamed by his amazing performance.

After displaying a good performance to sink Athens Olympic and Singapore Open Champion, Taufik in quarterfinal, Chong Wei showed how superb he is on home soil to grab the champion when defeating world no.1 Lin Dan from China in the 4 star tournament final. Chong Wei is unbeatenin Malaysia territory since 2003 either nationally or internationally.

In front of the Deputy Prime Minister, Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak and fans flooding the KLBS yesterday, the Pearl Island (Penang) born youngster again displayed his superb game to defend his title won last year and take home RM36,400 while Lin Dan RM18,240.

Chong Wei, the world no.8 according the IBF last week's ranking, said he is happy too because his strategy to defeat LD and Taufik worked perfectly, "Defeating two world best players gives me a lot of satisfacion. Now I can concentrate in practice with coming August WC in US."

The victory tied their meet record to 1-1 as Chong Wei down to Lin Dan, 22, in the THomas Cup Asian Qualifying round last year, in rubber set too 15-3. 13-15, 6-15.

This is the first international crown won by the leading malaysian player this year. He won MO and Taiwan Open last year. Chong Wei's best achievement this year is All England semifinal before lost to then eventual champion, Chen Hong.

#3 weeyet, Jul 11, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2005