Load spreader at the T-joint or not?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by s_mair, May 25, 2022.

1. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

This topic is coming round on a regular basis in various threads. My opinion until now has been, that a load spreader at the T-joint is not necessary and basically only adds more play at the mounting point.

Yesterday however, I discovered this on my own Adidas Wucht P8:
    SM6_2492 (Groß).JPG
    SM6_2494 (Groß).JPG

That frame has seen around 10 jobs at around 28 lbs., I have a plastic bit on the support that is in touch with the racket.
    I know that those are not actual cracks or structural damages on the frame, but still it makes me reconsider if a load spreader would add some addional safety margin there.

What do others think about this topic in gerenal? Has anyone seen something similar on a racket?

thyrif and speCulatius like this.
  2. Alex82

Alex82 Regular Member

Linux-Sysadmin
    Looks like slipped decal.

speCulatius, ucantseeme and s_mair like this.
  3. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Looks like the decal issue which also happend on the ZF1 on the lower side supports. If I look at the holes it seems that the decal is not the sturdiest one. If I take the model into account the P8 is also a bit weird shaped at this area which is like a kink instead of a slightly rounded flat area with more surface of contact. I would never use one on the 6 o'clock on normal shaped rackets. Maybe a Yonex H-Piece or a trimmed to 3 teeth load spreader might help here. Would you mind to post a macro photo of the plastic? Maybe it is to sharp edged on the corners and wouldn't work with the P8 well, so a tiny bit burr removing can be enough?

s_mair likes this.
  4. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

My thoughts exactly. With that kind of V-shape there it concentrates all the load on the outer egdes. The edges of the support are rounded and without any burrs - sorry, I'm too lazy to dig out the macro lens again. ;)

It looks indeed like it's only an issue with the decal which I wouldn't mind at all and which doesn't push me towards adding a load spreader there tbh. I have checked all my other rackets in the meantime and they are all looking completely fine. Even my 20+ jobs (slightly titanic) JS10.

5. flyingcords

flyingcords Regular Member

That's what I always use at the 6 o'clock, it's easier to use than a full 5 teeth, which is ok for the 12 o'clock area. Sometimes I use two trimmed ones on racquet that have not enough space between the holes, even at the top of the racket, but it's rarely the case (perhaps a racket out of 70)

ucantseeme and s_mair like this.
  6. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

I do use two loadspreaders, it gives me peace of mind I don't damage rackets at 28lbs+. I do always make sure the racket is seated well after the first mains pull. But in my experience that adjustment is pretty much the same as without.

I also like the idea of 3 wide load spreaders! Those old rackets are usually with low tension, but would still be nice to be able to use them.

Dekkert and s_mair like this.
  7. Dekkert

Dekkert Regular Member

I also use load spreaders on 12 and 6 o'clock just for peace of mind. It won't hurt anything.

In my experience the extra play isn't that bad. Tim Willis (or the other Yonex stringer, Mark?) even said that rackets should have a little play when mounted.

Why would a normal load spreader be worse to use at 6 o'clock than an H-peace or trimmed load spreader?

thyrif likes this.
  8. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Same here. I feel like that could be the best compromise in that case. The StringMaster machine comes with load spreaders that are mounted on the supports so it wouldn't cause any additional hassle to fiddle around with two loose load spreaders when mounting the racket. I guess I will start experimenting with that for a bit and see where it goes.

thyrif likes this.
  9. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    This is your conclusion, but I didn't said it. As stated the P8 is V-shaped at the T-Joint, so my guess here is that due the shape it could be the outer teeth of a 5 teeth loadspreader get more contact than the middle part and this can lead to a snapping loadspreader from my experience. But is just a guess, never strung a P8. I also prefer the H-piece or a trimmed to three teeth loadspreader over the 5-teeth at 12 o'clock because I can't get due closer holes at these areas some Babolats, Forzas and Olivers in my machine or the eggshaped oldschool rackets made contact just on the outer teeth and made the loadspreader break. But nothing wrong to use a 5 teeth one as long all your rackets which you string fit and get contact over the whole area. My 5 teeth loadspreader had always trouble with a few racket types and this is my reasoning behind it. :)

edit: I also struggled with some compact frames and high top cross (e.g. JS10) to clamp without getting intouch with the load spreader at 12 o'clock. This is also an advantage of the H-piece and the trimmed one to 3 teeth if your clamps are also a bit more bulky like mine.

#9 ucantseeme, May 26, 2022
    Last edited: May 26, 2022
    Dekkert likes this.
  10. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Your guess is spot on:
    [​IMG]

Only the outer teeth are in contact with the frame which surely isn’t good for load spreader not for the frame. So the way to go seems to be either trimming it down to a 3-teeth spreader or simply stay with the standard bit. And I think im going (or rather staying) with the latter.

thyrif and ucantseeme like this.
  11. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Great that you dig out the macro lens. :D Good choice. I also never regret to use only the standard bit. :cool:

s_mair likes this.
  12. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

That shot was done on an iPhone.

thyrif likes this.
  13. flyingcords

flyingcords Regular Member

Go for it ! Cut ! Cut ! ;)

ucantseeme likes this.
  14. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Nah. Not worth the hassle just because of some slipping decals.

15. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    What about printing one for each model which fits perfect? :D