List of Cool Moves Thread

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by keith_aquino, May 6, 2006.

1. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    i think that hitting frame consistently is possible. i can hit the with the side frame rather consistently. when i was lousier last time. now it actually gets harder lol. i think it was because of an inaccurate slice movement

2. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

I was experimenting with the slice-lifts the other day. Though in my case, I was swinging cross-court and slicing straight. I guess, just like the backcourt slices, there are 4 different variations.

I found that what seemed to work well is to move my whole body forward aggressively while performing this shot (I was hitting them as the return of serve) and then contact the bird at around chest height. The reason for this is that if you're moving slowly (or are stationary) the horizontal speed of the bird will be slow, so even if you deceive your opponent they can still get to the bird. Hitting the bird at chest height, which will happen automatically because you're moving quickly towards the net, will reduce the amount of time your opponent has to prepare for your shot.

3. wing-omega5-0

wing-omega5-0 Regular Member

Student(uni)
    actually, i did some sort of variation of that once. i was playing 2v1 against my coach and he played a tight netshot and guarded it. i was at the net at the time but it was too late to kill it. so being afraid of having it spiked down if i lift or return it with a netshot of my own, i turned my racket downwards and hit a cross-court netshot with my rackethead at waist level. poor footwork and strategizing on my part but it was a good save =)

one other time, i went up to my backhand front corner to lift the bird. it hit my 12 o'clock rim and popped over the net while the 2 guys on the other side were preparing to go back for the lift.

4. jerby

jerby Regular Member

well, good job wing-omega! I haven't doen it in a game yet..just dickign around...

as to stumblign feet. well yes. that works as well. and is fortunatly a lot easier. and works veyr well if you keep your racket horizontal (like a bad serve) it's easier (to me) because when you stroke cross to just have to cock your wrist to get it straight.

cross-liftign when pretendign straight is a lot harder....I can't quite get the hang of it (yet)

5. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

I remember trying that one two years ago but having trouble generating force at that range of motion. More recently, my wrist has gotten a lot more flexible from doing olympic lifts, and the motion is much easier now. I don't think I've ever caught anyone with this particular move though...

One thing I'd like to learn is the return of serve where you move forward, deliberately swing and miss using a wrist shot, then knocking the bird over the net with the heel of your grip. This shot uses your body's momentum to push the bird across, so the coordination is pretty tricky.

6. jerby

jerby Regular Member

like that 'badminton showboat' that was on megauplaod some times ago? it's indeed pretty hard on a service..because the shuttle comes át you. it's easier on a but net-shot..I think.,..

7. Stingy

Stingy Regular Member

When the opponent drops near the net I approach like I'm going to smash it down. Instead I take a diagonal slice at it. It makes the birdie spin and rebound cross court. It doesn't go all the way to the end. Maybe 3/4 if I did it near the post.

8. Timbuctoo

Timbuctoo Regular Member

The lucky return fake shot. You've just played a bad shot and set it up for the opposition. Turn and walk away like you've given them the point. Most times they'll then just drop it over the net. Turn at the last second and rush back for the return. Sometimes you can get the return back over their head.:)

9. xkenji

xkenji Regular Member

oh i know a cool shot that alot of you probably did before with luck, its when you smash and the bird just hits the top of the net and kinda skips and hops. Its great coz ur opponent would be expecting a smash to be low but this shot jumps the bird right back to the face height and they cant do anything.

If i tried aiming for this shot i would probably hit the net half the time and the other half would be a normal smash but still its a great shot if you can actually pull it off.

10. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

all the pros apologise for clipping the net on a shot

11. dyoung

dyoung New Member

Student
    ive done this once or twice its quite effective

12. jerby

jerby Regular Member

who doesn't? honestly...

OK, I confess...I once had a miracle-double...I dropped and hit the nettape 10 times (no really, not exadurating(sp?)) by the time I reached 5 it was getting embarassing...the look on everybody's faces when #9 and #10 came was brilliant, but it's really sheer luck, and just playign as sharp as you can. I can't recall the night exaclty, but chances are i hit some in the net as well...

Hafiz tried some nifty stuff at the net vs Chen Jin...never worked though...and he did one of the most casual net-kills i've ever seen...

13. sanjay

sanjay Regular Member

Ive tried all kinds of trick shots. the one i can pull off regularly is when im defending a smash. I'm right-handed so i stand with the racket more towards my right-hand side. When my opponent smashes close to my back-hand side. I push the racket behind my back and block the smash back. It hardly ever wins me the point but just feels so good when i get it.

14. WRX STi

WRX STi Regular Member

I'm not sure, but the best tricks, I think are the ones where ur doing dropping in the front of the net, playing half court, just rally around with ur frds, and then u do it on purpose kind of, drop the bird in the front, and you know hes gna leave, but u wait..n then move back, either flick it back with forehand, or backhand underhand, facing backwards to the net, or the best one between the legs.

15. Nikchan

Nikchan Regular Member

Student
    thers one i do.. when receiving a short serve, i play a backhand drive shot. the racquet head swings toward the opponent's backhand corner, but the shuttle ends up at the 2nd sideline on the middle forehand corner. not the fartheest corner with the box, but the middle of the forhand side near the sideline. do u guys get me? i jus confusd myself typin all tht i think.

it lands out of the court a lot of times :D but when its spot on, excellent way to start a doubles rally. its wristwork and deceptive timing. lol wen it works the opoonent at the back of the court ends up running out of the court most of the time :D

16. Nikchan

Nikchan Regular Member

Student
    jump DROP!

i jump up as if im gona jump smash, then with the same action get a drop shot in. i usually do this cos im not gud at jump smash at all :D (opponents dont get it). its real hard to get the control but wen it works its real gud. works with a traditional standing-on-the-ground smash too;)

17. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    backhand jump smash, i never did that saw my friend try but failed, it was slow and not really steep

18. morewood

morewood Regular Member

A shot of desperation stakes that I have seen tried a few times but only executed decisively once;

Singles game, player is pulled to the net to return a drop which he/she then counter drops, opponent then lobs deep and wide, unable to get there (back or high enough) the player throws the racquet at the feather and then attempts to catch the racquet before it hits the ground.

As I say I’ve seen it tried more than once, seen racquet feather contact more than once, seen people catch the racquet too but have only once seen the point won in this desperate manner.

19. Nikchan

Nikchan Regular Member

Student
    wow sounds top of the range. i never even thought it was possible

20. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    wait so you... threw the racquet backwards, the birdie hit it and was returned in this manner?
    if so, amazing