Lin Dan walkover : the flu case

Discussion in 'China Open / Hong Kong Open / India GP 2010' started by Thom_bad, Dec 10, 2010.

1. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Or just to show face under sponsor obligation !

2. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Courteasy of the Star:

Chong Wei in semis, Lin Dan withdraws

By RAJES PAUL

Easier path to title
    PETALING JAYA: Malaysia’s world No. 1 Lee Chong Wei’s path to his eighth Open title this year was made easier following the surprise withdrawal of two Chinese stars – Chen Jin and Lin Dan – in the quarter-finals of the Hong Kong Open yesterday.
    Chong Wei checked into the semi-finals without having to raise his racquet after reigning world champion Chen Jin conceded a walkover.
    Top seed Chong Wei will take on Vietnam’s Nguyen Tien Minh for a place in the final today.
    Tien Minh was also let the hook easily when Lin Dan withdrew.
    [​IMG] No show: China’s Olympic champion Lin Dan withdrew from his quarter-final match against Vietnam’s Nguyen Tien Minh yesterday. – AFP
    This is the second time that Lin Dan has pulled out in the midst of a competition, having also conceded the match against Chen Long in the quarter-finals of the China Open last week.
    It is learnt that injuries were the reasons behind the withdrawals of both Chen Jin and Lin Dan yesterday.
    However, there were also speculations that China wanted Chen Jin and Lin Dan to take a backseat to allow their younger compatriot Chen Long to step out of their shadows in the last leg of the Super Series.
    Yesterday, the reigning China Open champion Chen Long set up a meeting with Taufik Hidayat of Indonesia after beating South Korean Lee Hyun-il 17-21, 21-16, 21-19.
    National coach Teh Seu Bock was puzzled with the no-show of both Chen Jin and Lin Dan.
    “This is a peculiar situation. They looked all right to us before this ... then suddenly we hear that both are injured,” said Seu Bock in a telephone interview.
    “In their absence, the path to glory is certainly brighter for Chong Wei, who is in good condition. He will stay focused on the task at hand.”
    Chong Wei is the only Malaysian survivor in the tournament after the quarter-final defeat of Chin Eei Hui-Goh Liu Ying in the women’s doubles. Both went down 13-21, 21-14, 17-21 to Russians Valeria Sorokina-Nina Vislova.
    In the men’s doubles semi-finals, China Open champions Lee Yong-dae-Jung Jae-sung will take on Asian Games champions Markis Kido-Hendra Setiawan of Indonesia while Howard Bach-Tony Gunawan of the United States will face Ko Sung-hyun-Yoo Yeon-seong of South Korea.

3. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Yonex, not Li-Ning.

Chen Jin had a back injury, he let P. Kashyap chase him when CJ led him by so many points, that one I am at least 60% sure that his bad back has come back( or maybe he had picked up a new injury). Lin Dan, maybe he doesn't feel like playing, or he doesn't want to meet LCW so often so that he can concentrate on whacking LCW with a new strategy every time they meet in majors. Did the OP make up this so-called flu, or did LCW spread the flu in Guangzhou :p:p:p

4. hungle

hungle Regular Member

NTM will break the plan of LYB this afternoon, 2-1 for NTM-LCW, hehe

5. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Based on your take, if both CL & LCW progress to the final, LCW should concede a walkover to let LYB have a taste of his own medicine.

6. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    All this makes a good case to change the title of this event from "HK SS" to "Cuckoo's Nest." And it's more than just "The One" that "flu" from all accounts!! :D

7. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    from post #42 report

it seem both lin dan and chen jin has been made to look like they chicken out to lcw lol

could it have something to do with bwf new rulings on the minimum 9 ps/ss per player per year participations

lin dan and chen jin paving way for chen long and they play cbsl?

time for some money before retirement

and also time for some surprises for us.lol

8. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Why would Lin Dan be afraid of LCW when he had just beaten LCW in what is arguably the most important event of this year?

Mission accomplished. The China and HKG SS are just side events for him and with Chen Long winning the China SS, I don't think LYB would mind if LCW happens to win the HKG SS either. BUT, I cannot imagine if LCW fails to win this one, even with his toughest rivals all out in QF stage. LYB will even be smiling if Chen Long achieves the double of beating Taufik and LCW in a row.

As for Chen Jin, he's injured. Period. There's no need to mock an injured player.

#48 badMania, Dec 10, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  9. badMania

badMania Regular Member

If I were LCW, I would also concede a walkover. Let Nguyen Tien-Minh tastes the Final of a SS event and if Taufik does beat Chen Long, it will be the best gift to his best friend :)

10. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Another burden if LCW does win the HKG SS: he has to defend the 9200 points for Olympics qualification next year :)

11. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    maybe i was not clear in my post.

no, lin dan or chen jin isn't afraid of lcw and there is no mocking of players here. period.

i mentioned ' they were made to look like they chicken out to lcw '

so now please take a guess whose order would that be...

cbsl big stack, taufik sign contract for cbsl, bwf new ruling on participation and lin dan won almost all there is to win...

time for some changes?

12. oonyz

oonyz Regular Member

Theory !!!

Most likely reason for the walkovers -> China men singles is going through a rebuilding process in preparation for the next generation of chinese men singles players .Most likely Chen Long, Du Pengyu, Wang ZhengMing or Kai Wen will be the ones to watch out at the next Olympics in 2012 so 2011 will be a transition year for them to gain as much experience and ranking points as possible.This guys will most likely come up against players like LCW, TH, SimonS, Sony DK, JOJ, Dionysius. It's so obvious even to a blind person. Only BAM is blind enough not to recognize this looking at the pathetic state of men singles badminton in Msia.

It's obvious the coaching and development setup is flawed somewhere.I would reckon if the BAM is intelligent enough and has foresight, the first thing they should do instead of giving incentives here and there is by(this might sound pretty impossible but worth a try) hiring Lin Dan as a coach when he retires because I think it'll be pretty soon.I know after reading this people will think Lin Dan will only contribute towards China.A good start will be providing incentives for him and Xie Xing Fang to come to Malaysia to work.I think Malaysia has the necessary requirements to reach China's level.The biggest problem is the coach needs to push the players harder in training.Chinese coaches are famous for their bitter and tough regimented training which malaysian players dont have.The coaches are not strict enough in pushing the players to the maximum.I used to go for coaching clinic with Zhao Jian Hua and he used to say if a player trains till he vomits,that is a good sign.Anyone willing to go through the process of training till he vomits.????:eek:

13. oonyz

oonyz Regular Member

In addition, its obvious LYB wants Chen Long to spar with LCW to gauge where CL's level is compared to LCW.Its a ploy to match both of them up.CL being 21 years old has time on his side. It's very unfortunate for LCW especially if he is to face CL in 2012.Sigh

14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    maybe for after 2012. for 2012 Olympics, it will be suicide to field Chen Long, Du Pengyu, Wang ZhengMing, etc as they simply won't be ready. Olympics is a national agenda and LYB's head is dependent on the results. they will field anyone who has proven track record to beat LCW, TH and PG.

15. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    yes, looking at whats happening now, it looks like lyb is planning a very difficult task for the three players, cl, dpy and wzm.

they will be alone most of the time, big brothers may choose ps/ss to play.

they need to take over sooner or later

and i think cba and lyb are making it happening now.

lets see what happen during the transition period..

16. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    That would be a fun move :)

/Twobeer

17. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

to start with, if CJ is injured during the period before london olympics i dont think LYB has much choice but field CL. in two years time, LCW, TH & PG will all in their 30s and are easy meats for any eager youngers.
    if CJ is injuries free and ready by 2012 i dont think them old boys have any chance, that included LD as well.

18. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Both chen jin and lin dan just wanna have a look at DISNEYLAND;)

19. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Why not?
    Of course LD is afraid of LCW.
    Does winning the AG make LD invincible? It s perfect for LD s resume but winning is about form on that day
    Remember LCW got thrashed by LD in TC10? Well,what happened to LD in JO then?He lost to LCW, didn t he?

Well, when CJ had to give a walkover and LD had to play an extra match,even if easy one to beat NTM, he wouldn't t stand a chance against LCW who would be one match fresher.
    Remember LD lost to some unknown KOR MS in East Asian Games because he had played an extra match the day before, courtesy of CJ ,again, giving CHJ a walkover? If LD can lose to some unknown, what chance has he got against LCW?

20. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    LD and CJ is probably out shopping for wedding stuff for LD :)

LYB on the other hand has CL doing laps up and down Fei Ngo Shan as he lost to Taufik :)

/Twobeer