Lin Dan is now on Instagram!

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by god of sports, Oct 12, 2020.

1. god of sports

god of sports New Member

#1 god of sports, Oct 12, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2020
  2. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
  3. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

4. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
  5. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Lol at all the PR posts on there

6. Borkya

Borkya Regular Member

teacher
    Did you see the Lin Dan manga he was putting up for awhile. Pretty cool, haha

7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

As as I know, instagram is banned in China (might be accessible through VPN) but those Chinese abroad are able to view it and many do use it though still not very popular. So I'm quite sure it's not Lin Dan's personal Instagram account, strictly speaking.

However, as stated , it's "Official Instagram account of Lin Dan. Sponsored by @yonex_badminton". And by the looks of it, based on what's been posted there, it should be genuine but for overseas use, not in China, otherwise expect it to have millions of followers by now and thousands of posts. That's just my opinion.

8. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

AFAIK the official social media platform for most CHN badminton players is Weibo 新浪微博

9. Borkya

Borkya Regular Member

teacher
    Technically VPN's aren't banned in China. That's why you will see CCTV and other state run media accounts on Instragram, Twitter, FB etc.
    It's totally legal to have a VPN that is approved by the chinese gov't. Having an unregistered one is what is illegal.

skhai91 likes this.
  10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

You're right.

11. Chocomaster

Chocomaster New Member

funny that he made his name like donald trump realdonaldtrump

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Do you think Lin Dan has a problem with his confidence and getting followers?

13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Hmm...based on what we know of his persona (only his family and intimate friends would know his inner self), I believe he's more likely to be overconfident than underconfident.

My guess is that he is making plans for the next chapter in his life post-retirement from his badminton career. I remember, if my memory serves me right, that he once expressed a personal wish to set up a professional badminton league, run differently from the existing CBSL (China Badminton Super League), one that not only involves all the current active players but also the retired inactive players, including the who's who of badminton, both those comprising his contemporaries and, perhaps, the past greats of the older generations.

If true, I really hope it comes to fruition as I'm sure he still has no interest to become a badminton coach, for as we can recall he had in the past rejected Li Yongbo's repeated attempts to rope him in as a national coach. Personally, I also doubt he will consider coaching any foreign nation as, firstly, I don't think he would want to leave or relocate his family, esp when his boy is already in kindergarten, and, secondly, CBA is very unlikely to let him go as he is too valuable a national asset.

In case you've forgotten, Lin Dan and his wife, Xie Xingfang, had in July last year set up a badminton club in Shenzhen, Bao'an district. So, opening an Instagram account, in addition to his Weibo, a Chinese social media platform and microblog website, is to facilitate his interaction with and to reach out to his legions of fans and keeping them updated on his latest activities, developments, ideas, career interests and plans.

As for setting up a professional badminton league, the first and most important thing is to get big sponsors both locally and internationally, not a far-fetched proposition for him in my opinion, for he, more than anybody else in the badminton world, is best placed to do so solely based on who he is as the quintessential badminton icon, The GOAT, no less.

And in case you worry about his ability to run a business unlike his playing days, he and his wife, who is also an MBA holder and will certainly help him out, have together not only set up a Shenzhen Badminton Club in July 2020, the couple have gained business experience since 2014, either jointly or singly, having started a number of business ventures before, such as (jointly) "Hollys Coffee" cafe in collaboration with a Korean coffee brand, men's underwear brand "Intimate by Lin Dan" (singly by LD), "Doreen Baby" products (singly by XXF) in partnership with another company with Lin Dan as the chief creative officer of the brand.

Let's also not forget his multi-million USD 10-year contract with Yonex lasting until/through 2025 (estimated to be worth 100 million RMB) , as such I should think he can afford, without having to worry about his livelihood, to plunge into a badminton-related venture for which he might very well sign up Yonex as a major sponsor. Just saying.

Cheung and Woesi like this.