LIN DAN got wild card

Discussion in 'World Championship 2013' started by sportstar, May 8, 2013.

1. kenjai7373

kenjai7373 Regular Member

wild card is granted in the olympics. i dont see y using it in world championship is a big deal.

2. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Olympics and World Championships are run by 2 different associations with different rules. Better to know the rules than to assume.

3. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    So, who is the poor player that lost his place?

4. kenjai7373

yeah and its fair to those who work hard for 4 years to get excluded cuz of stupid quotas.

5. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Sure it's unfair, but those are the rules. All players know this going into the Olympics.

Coming back to the wild card scenario, if it's written in the rules, then nobody can have a grouse against the BWF. All players should be aware of this too.

6. kenjai7373

the only people complaining are fans rather than the players.

7. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Thanks for the clarification. BWF is then well within their right to select LD as a wild card entry. End of conversation.

8. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Haha, you hit the nail on the head there! :D

9. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

It should be noted that before this year, the host BA had the right to pick its own wildcard entry freely. Starting this year, that right was changed such that the host BA can have a wildcard only if none of its players otherwise qualified.

BWF's decision saved CBA from being victimized by the latest rule change.

10. yayachico

yayachico Regular Member

" http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2013/5/10/sports/13093144&sec=sports From TheStar.com.myFurious Chong Wei blasts BWF for Lin Dan inclusionKUALA LUMPUR: China’s superstar Lin Dan will defend his title in the World Championships after all – albeit through the back door. And the news has left his nemesis Lee Chong Wei quite upset.Yesterday, the Badminton World Federation (BWF)’s decided to award a wild card to four-time world champion and two-time Olympic champion Lin Dan to participate in this year’s edition from Aug 5-11 in Guangzhou.The BWF’s Committee of Management chose the world No. 41 ranked Lin Dan as the sole wild card entry because the latter had failed to qualify for the world meet on merit after staying away from tournaments for eight months since retaining the gold medal at the London Games last year.The committee said they were compelled to choose the 29-year-old Chinese because they felt his stature and fan appeal would significantly enhance the event.With the decision, China will have a maximum of four players in Guangzhou.The other three who qualified are reigning All-England champion Chen Long, Du Pengyu and Wang Zhengming.World No. 1 Chong Wei was not pleased the decision, describing it as “unfair.”“How can BWF give another slot to China when they already have three players in the fray,” said Chong Wei.Would it not made more sense to give the wild card to a country who have no representative in the world championships?“A player can stay away for eight months and still be considered for the world championships! What about the others who have worked hard to qualify for the event.“He is one of the players, who had conceded walkovers and turned his back on BWF’s tournaments many times. Yet, he is rewarded with a wild card.“I do not know what to say about BWF’s rules and regulations any more.“Rather than qualifying, I should have waited for a wild card too.”According to BWF’s ruling on qualification for the world meet, a country can have three representatives if they are in the top eight of the world rankings.And a country can have four players in the event if they are ranked in the top 24.Chong Wei said that his reaction had nothing to do with his fear of facing Lin Dan although the Chinese had been his biggest stumbling block in all the major tournaments.“Initially, I did not want to say anything because people will assume that I fear him. No, this is not the reason,” he said.“I do not mind if he qualifies as anyone else” added Chong Wei.“I am sure everyone wants to see both of us play and yes, that will be good for the sport.“But I do not agree with the way it is being done right now ... that’s all.” "Looks like our World Number One is complaining... But I dont blame him, he has his reason... What seems like his best chance just got blew away by BWF... But all the best to both players, hope they both can deliver interesting matches for us to watch!!!

11. yayachico

yayachico Regular Member

" http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2013/5/10/sports/13093144&sec=sports From TheStar.com.myFurious Chong Wei blasts BWF for Lin Dan inclusionKUALA LUMPUR: China’s superstar Lin Dan will defend his title in the World Championships after all – albeit through the back door. And the news has left his nemesis Lee Chong Wei quite upset.Yesterday, the Badminton World Federation (BWF)’s decided to award a wild card to four-time world champion and two-time Olympic champion Lin Dan to participate in this year’s edition from Aug 5-11 in Guangzhou.The BWF’s Committee of Management chose the world No. 41 ranked Lin Dan as the sole wild card entry because the latter had failed to qualify for the world meet on merit after staying away from tournaments for eight months since retaining the gold medal at the London Games last year.The committee said they were compelled to choose the 29-year-old Chinese because they felt his stature and fan appeal would significantly enhance the event.With the decision, China will have a maximum of four players in Guangzhou.The other three who qualified are reigning All-England champion Chen Long, Du Pengyu and Wang Zhengming.World No. 1 Chong Wei was not pleased the decision, describing it as “unfair.”“How can BWF give another slot to China when they already have three players in the fray,” said Chong Wei.Would it not made more sense to give the wild card to a country who have no representative in the world championships?“A player can stay away for eight months and still be considered for the world championships! What about the others who have worked hard to qualify for the event.“He is one of the players, who had conceded walkovers and turned his back on BWF’s tournaments many times. Yet, he is rewarded with a wild card.“I do not know what to say about BWF’s rules and regulations any more.“Rather than qualifying, I should have waited for a wild card too.”According to BWF’s ruling on qualification for the world meet, a country can have three representatives if they are in the top eight of the world rankings.And a country can have four players in the event if they are ranked in the top 24.Chong Wei said that his reaction had nothing to do with his fear of facing Lin Dan although the Chinese had been his biggest stumbling block in all the major tournaments.“Initially, I did not want to say anything because people will assume that I fear him. No, this is not the reason,” he said.“I do not mind if he qualifies as anyone else” added Chong Wei.“I am sure everyone wants to see both of us play and yes, that will be good for the sport.“But I do not agree with the way it is being done right now ... that’s all.” "Looks like our World Number One is complaining... But I dont blame him, he has his reason... What seems like his best chance just got blew away by BWF... But all the best to both players, hope they both can deliver interesting matches for us to watch!!!

12. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

I am glad that LCW gave LD some "bulletin material".

I did not think that LD would be fully motivated to do well at the WC. Thanks to LCW, LD may be fully motivated after all.

13. ibelieveindevil

ibelieveindevil Regular Member

seriously screwed up BWF, so easily influenced by China.

Cmon lah, see carefully, how many wild cards are there?

of all reason, given to only 1 player out of a possible of 5, happens to be in a nation which already has 3 players inside the tournament, talking about coincident? there is none.

LD already knew that he need the points, so i doubt anything regarding he is defending champion worth any reason for it. since someone brought up the soccer example: if brazil decided to pull out from the qualifying tournament, seriously you think FIFA dumb enough to give them a direct entrance?

8 months, and a fine for not participating enough tournaments in 2012, yet BWF grant him a wild card.

SHAME ON YOU BWF!

14. mogek

mogek Regular Member

lin dan are celebrities.
    she deserves a wild card.

even if Chongwei lee, lee yong dae, lilyana Natsir, Saina Nehwal ranking this year ie down. Next year they will get a wild card

because what:
    1. that they have a lot of fans
    2. they could make badminton become more and more popular
    3. they lost interest it brings tremendous competition.

lin dan so deserve a wild card

moreover he was an Olympic champion in 2012

15. mogek

mogek Regular Member

lee chong wei fear of losing
    lee chong wei lee chong wei

16. mogek

mogek Regular Member

lee chong wei lin dan fear meet in the early rounds

especially in round 1

17. mogek

mogek Regular Member

if, for example Chongwei lee ranking has decreased this year as lindane, certainly lee Chongwei also got a wild card next year

because they were famous celebrity artist, has many fans, raised the prestige of the championship to be exciting and tight

lin dan, lee chong wei, lee yong dae, lilyana natsir celebrity artist

18. jasontyh

jasontyh Regular Member

Engineer
    they r good friends, like buddies, this is dramatic. lol
    like watching manga

19. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    Kwun, can you start a poll so we can all vote on should a wild card be granted to LD.

20. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    LCW should silence his critics once for all by using his racket, beat then all on court. For all of you against granting wild card to LD, just take a moment putting yourself in BWF's shoe, you will make the same decision. ie who you want to watch, LD or the last eligible unknown. Of course there are more factors affecting BWF decision, like tickets sale, TV rights etc. If you still want to argue, you better going back living in the cave.