Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

2. Nine Tailed Fox

Translation from reddit user u/loveforlandlords

Lin Dan and LCW discuss the Olympic performances of Victor Axelsen, Kento Momota, Lee Zii Jia and Chen Long.

Victor Axelsen

Lin Dan: VA has a unique attack. When I fought him, he wasn't really a stable player. When he plays well, his attack is devastating. When he plays poorly, his emotions can't be kept in check. However since his loss to Chen Long in the 2016 Rio Olympics semifinals, he has been working on improving his stability.

In today's Olympic gold match, he was very stable and not being anxious in any area of play.

LCW: He played really stable today. In Olympics, mental mindset is the most important, which he did well in. In terms of skills, he performed as expected, but it was the mindset that made the difference.

Kento Momota (discussion on why he flopped)

Lin Dan: The first thing to note is that it's an Olympics, in which anything can happen due to high pressure. Momota was playing in home ground, which added to the pressure. Additionally, he probably has high expectations of himself because he was world ranked no.1 for 2 years, winning all those titles. There was a mismatch in expectations and reality, and he could have felt the pressure suddenly burst forth, especially in the first set which he lost vs the Korean dude. At that point, any advice given to him would have been pointless as his mindset, mental stability have been very different from when he was champion back in '18/19.

LCW: Before the game started, the whole country expected him to get gold. Furthermore, it was his first Olympics game, especially on home soil. This added to the pressure to get gold. When I watched his matches, his performance was far from 105%. He was making simple errors like failing to block smashes. His hands and feet felt very steep and his footwork was bad(@Quentin11 ). He needs to gain experience, like the both of us who have participated in 4 Olympics and have built upon a wealth of experience.

Lee Zii Jia

Lin Dan: Watching his performance at All England and dominating Momota & Victor, I had good hopes for him in this Olympics. He played very well in his first 2 sets against Chen Long. Lee Chong Wei, he is your disciple and Malaysia's number 1 player. What do you think of his chances of getting a medal in Paris 2024 Olympics?

Lee Chong Wei: We hope that he can win a medal, better yet if its gold. I felt that when he fought Chen Long, he played too fast in the first set and couldn't control his emotions. He won too fast and 21-8 at that (Lin Dan says a word in agreement). Going into the second set, he was too anxious to win, whereas Chen Long played calmly and slowly, point by point until he won. In the 3rd match, when LZJ was 5-0 down, it was over. At the mid game interval at 11-2, Chen Long could do anything and still win. After he lost, I talked to him and told him that he can learn from this experience and come back stronger. He still has 3 years. Starting from now, he needs to work on his mentality and overcome every challenge in the upcoming big matches

Chen Long

Lin Dan: Chen Long faced pressure in maintaining his gold. Victor played better and more stable.

Lee Chong Wei: Chen Long played his usual game, but Victor was more stable. Victor had a good backhand and could get back Chen Long smashes, which broke his confidence. On top of that, he had a fearsome attack. Victor had adjusted his mentality better. On another topic, China has done very well in the Olympics despite not playing in international matches for over a year. For us sportsmen, international matches are important in prepping us for the big matches. The Chinese team have reached 5 finals despite that, which is no easy feat.

3. Neel Dhebar

Neel Dhebar Regular Member

Who is the tall guy with short hair and glasses I always see with LD at tournaments, hanging with him by the pool, and in this documentary? You'll see him fist bump LD after he won MO 2019. Some sort of helper/manager it seems.

#12303 Neel Dhebar, Aug 27, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
  4. Nine Tailed Fox

DL's own fitness instructor

Neel Dhebar likes this.
  5. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

That's a very nice article! Awesome to get the views of these two.

Nine Tailed Fox likes this.
  6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Yes, Lin Dan has a personal fitness instructor who followed him everywhere, paid from his own pocket, whose services he engaged since or after the London/12 Olympics, if I'm not wrong.

CBA does provide fitness trainers but they are for the team as a whole, not individually, as far as I know. I also read that sometimes the coaches took it upon themselves to help out certain players when they felt the need to, for example, Xia Xuanze once personally worked out with Chen Yufei over a period of time.

You can be sure He Bingjiao received such treatment too but, from what I've gathered, she herself was so determined, self-motivated and self-disciplined that it was largely her own efforts. However, during her time with Chen Jin and Zhang Ning, it was reported she was much less serious in physical training, to say the least. What came over her to make such a drastic change as we've seen lately, I'm not sure. Not only am I very surprised, it gladdens me no end for she's still only 24 years of age, there's time aplenty for her to gain much advantage of it in her sporting career. Way to go, He Bingjiao !

Nine Tailed Fox, Suilven and tbgoh288 like this.
  7. Nine Tailed Fox

4k50 FPS Lin Dan vs Du Pengyu 2010 China Badminton Super League

Justin L and Woesi like this.
  8. Nine Tailed Fox

Lin Dan fights with Killer UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship) Straweight Champion Mixed Martial Artist - Zhang Weili

Neel Dhebar and Justin L like this.
  9. Nine Tailed Fox

Lin Dan wants to challenge Lee Chong Wei in an exhibition Boxing Bout

[​IMG]

Source : Lin Dan Fans Communication Area FB

Baddie lover likes this.
  10. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

Lin Dan vs Bao Chun Lai

Neel Dhebar, ant01, visor and 5 others like this.
  11. Nine Tailed Fox

They were both out there to kill each other. LD started all guns blazing and knocked the consciousness out of Bao Chunlai. Bao recovered well and landed some brutal jabs of his own in the second. They both exchanged powerful damages to each other in the third, but LD hit some rage mode flurry of punches to win the round in the end.

I thought the ref did a poor job of not deducting points when Bao hit the back of LD's head. That could cause severe head trauma.

visor likes this.
  12. visor

visor Regular Member

Wtf!? They're really serious!

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

13. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

No kidding! Why can't they just challenge each other on something safer, like, a game of badminton?

14. visor

visor Regular Member

Or even something silly like jousting on a water log?

Both LD and BCL can't be in that much need of that they'd agree to viciously concuss each other in the heads like that?!

I did not find it the least bit entertaining... had to stop watching after a minute or two.

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

#12314 visor, Sep 19, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
    Sundis and Nine Tailed Fox like this.
  15. Nine Tailed Fox

I read somewhere that one knockout takes 2 years away from your life

16. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    Or perhaps they are body doubles!

17. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    Instead of BCL, it should have been Lee Hyun Il's coach against LD.

ant01 and Neel Dhebar like this.
  18. Neel Dhebar

Neel Dhebar Regular Member

Hahahahahahaha Li Mao right?

paroxysmal likes this.
  19. ant01

ant01 Regular Member

I'd pay to watch that!

Neel Dhebar likes this.
  20. Nine Tailed Fox