Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. renbo

renbo Regular Member

I think it is fair to be on our guards regarding doping matters, because of what happened in so many other sports. Why would badminton be so different? Money is smaller, but countries and States benefit are there, so there are motivations.
    But as Cheung mentioned, there is not much we can do about that, we have to live with this situation and still enjoy the professional sports.

2. kelana

kelana Regular Member

globalresearch.ca
    Ha ha ha still refer to WADA since it's the sole anti-doping organization but with good reservation... knowing its ties with politics and money... but I do hope the member nations can do a total overhaul over the anti-doping organization to free it from political clout and money vested interests.... to make it truly impartial and truly scientific oriented with the sole objective to eradicate the doping while staying away from political & commercial entanglement... OR simply set up a new independent, impartial anti-doping agency that's truly international in its nature and free from the control of any single country...

But then I may sound to be too naive knowing on how the world we are all living is operated/managed... :p:D

Justin L likes this.
  3. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Where does all these doping talks have come from?

Because he beat LCW in two straight games?

Is LCW God or something?

Good quality badminton is not enough to beat him?

Is there a doubt on Lin Dan's talent?

4. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Being asked for sources, I tried my best to find the original video, without success. I found what I believe to be the source/base for that video though, a Danish report on testing. It's in Danish, however you can translate the page into English using Chrome, which will give you the gist of the article.
    A source quoted in there is the 2015 WADA report on world wide tests - one figure in that report is the tests done by National Anti-Doping Organisations (from now on abbreviated to NADO). You will find that the Danish NADO (ADD) collected 493 samples, while the Indonesian NADO (INADA) collected a whopping total of 16. Yes, 16 urine samples TOTAL. And that is across all sports.
    Anyhow, that is just one example, and I don't insinuate there's serious doping problems in badminton, but the cold hard truth is that we actually can't know for sure, since testing is apparently pretty different in different countries, and according to the Danish players quoted in the article, there's not a lot of testing done at tournaments, at least not enough to pose a serious threat to a well-informed, well-advised doper (if you want to know more about possibilities of doping, spend some time in a couple of bodybuilding forums, it'll really make you a lot more sceptical about star athletes).
    While badminton has a good number of doping samples in total featured in the WADA report, note that there are no blood samples (as opposed to cycling and tennis, for example, although I suspect they don't do Carbon isotope ratio mass spectrometry either, which is the currently most reliable test for testosterone-based doping, if I'm informed correctly), and it does seem that a lot of testing is left to the NADOs.
    Some players are not satisfied with that and call for mandatory biological passes, a record that keeps track of an individual athlete's biological markers that can even show use of untraceable substances such as EPO (if those are used badly and create a sudden spike in those markers).

Sources:
    http://sport.tv2.dk/badminton/2016-12-04-danske-badmintonstjerner-dopingtest-os-noget-oftere
    http://sport.tv2.dk/badminton/2016-...ngarbejdet-i-badminton-spillerne-er-chokerede
    https://www.wada-ama.org/sites/defa...wada_anti-doping_testing_figures_report_0.pdf
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2015/jun/14/willpower-cash-lacking-anti-doping-struggle
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_passport
    https://www. facebook .com/janojorgensenofficial/photos/a.10150156532591269.291042.236154836268/10153143770811269/
    Edit: the facebook link only shows up correctly with the spaces, remove them to see the referenced picture and comments

As this is not pertaining to the topic of this thread and only an answer to a (warranted) question, this'll be the last post from my side on the topic.
    Again, I want to make sure it is understood that I do not post this here out of suspicions against Lin Dan. I believe I made my feelings on that matter clear in my previous post.

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I won't say Lin Dan is back to his best if you mean when he was Super Dan in his heyday, it's more like just better than he was the last couple of years as he is still not as fast and attacking as before and the killer smash is seldom evident nowadays, more of a workable smash.

IMHO, he has become a higher version of Lee Hyun Il in playing a controlled, rallying stroke game full of subtlety and finesse, executing accurate placement shots in moving the opponent all over the court while keeping him guessing. In short he has mastered and brought LHI's game to another level himself, one that the master stroke player LHI would be proud of.

And I hasten to add, to play like Lin Dan and Lee Hyun Il now requires smart thinking, sufficient experience and a high degree of anticipation, so not for the young and inexperienced, certainly not newcomers.

I seriously doubt Lin Dan will ever go back to playing like he did in his younger days, fast and aggressive like what some of the young guns are doing, such as Wang Tzu Wei, Jonatan Christie, just to name two. Even Grandmaster Tang Xianhu, Lin Dan's mentor-teacher whom he revered, said Lin Dan's new game post-LOG'12 is more suitable for him at his older age and physical condition. My 2 cents.

#9025 Justin L, Apr 9, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    yf19-sama likes this.
  6. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    Lee Hyun Ill , i respect him ... I find that there is no fault in his foot work , his movement in court is real good.

alien9113 and pcll99 like this.
  7. renbo

renbo Regular Member

LD has to worry about injuries. He better use is experience and understanding of the game to control the rhythm of play.

8. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    i also thinks Lee Hyun Ill has got the best footwork.

But unfortunately, he doesn't have LD's explosive power. His shots were also too predictable.

racketman123 likes this.
  9. Nine Tailed Fox

10. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys
    30 is now the new 20! Started from Peter Gade who won European Championship at 36, Sony Dwi Kuncoro won Singapore Open at 34, LCW won All England at 35, now Lin Dan just grabbed Malay Open at 34. Experience triumphed over youth. Two thumbs up! Wish to see more of LCW and LD, so please don't retire yet , you guys were still the one to beat.

11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

http://sports.qq.com/a/20170409/025907.htm
    [​IMG]
    What Lin Dan expressed on his weibo (microblog): I've achieved a breakthrough.

[​IMG]
    What Xie Xingfang wrote on her weibo (microblog) : Total concentration, no distracting thoughts, your original self has returned.

yf19-sama, kelana and Nine Tailed Fox like this.
  12. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Playing near 11/2hr in the SF. and beat DLCW in straight sets in the final..... I can only say that LD was damn impressive. If DLCW is going down in this year MO...which he did then it will be LD to blame:)

Congrats winning the MO and for LD fans, when he won the 1st set after racking straight 6 points, most of us knows that if DLCW still playing catch up in the 2nd set, LD will capture that title.... Which he did in a convincing style.

I want more of such finals since the hype and is just unbearable :):):)

yf19-sama and Nine Tailed Fox like this.
  13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

In just one month, Lin Dan has avenged both his Rio Olympics defeats, first at LCW's hands in the semifinals, then at Viktor Axelsen's hands for the bronze medal match - the former he did it at the MAS Open PSS Final today, the latter at the All England Quarterfinals, winning against each of them in style.

Also remember how LCW inflicted embarrassing defeats on Lin Dan and Chen Long at the CHN Open PSS in 2015; now Lin Dan return in kind to LCW at the MAS Open PSS. Life is indeed stranger than fiction and full of surprises.

kelana likes this.
  14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Indeed, I thought the 1st set is gone for Lin Dan, and the way he came from behind to take six points on the trot was striking, turning the tables on LCW to snatch it 21-19 in the end was astonishing.

It's possible that shocking G1 loss so dismayed LCW that he became anxious, frustrated and in his desperation to reverse the situation in G2 he lost his way to go down 14-21 in a match lasting 55 minutes. I 'd say in G2 LCW was psychologically beaten even before he actually lost the match in two straight sets.

When little separates these two in terms of skills and experience, it's the mental aspect that tilts the balance in favour of one over the other.

yf19-sama, Pirayeba67 and kelana like this.
  15. racketman123

racketman123 Regular Member

Dentist in training...
    Chong Wei looked tired, both mentally and physically towards the end.

16. kelana

kelana Regular Member

globalresearch.ca
    Fully agree that the G1 was the pivot point! Had LCW won the G1 then today's match outcome might be entirely different! I think LCW was very much adversely affected [mentally / psychologically] by his victory slipped away in the G1 while LD got the other side. For sure both are the best players still on stage nowadays!

17. Nine Tailed Fox

Players have spoken :

Lin Dan : "It's great to beat Chong Wei at his own home to win my first title here. I always bring the best when I play against Chong Wei...and today was another good match,"

Lee Chong Wei : "The first game was crucial. I had the lead but made errors and misjudged some of the shots. I lost focused."

"Lin Dan played confidently in the second game but I could not lift mine. It's disappointing to lose but I accept this defeat."

http://www.thestar.com.my/sport/badminton/2017/04/09/lin-dan-beat-chong-wei/#qHCVXsF6TkI3sWFX.99

kelana and yf19-sama like this.
  18. Nine Tailed Fox

More Updates :

Not enough tickets for the Lee-Lin final as fans were forced to watch the game outside on the giant Screen. BAM were surprised that so many people will turn up.

" To thank the fans, who were outside without tickets, we arranged for live broadcast of the matches on the big screen outside of the stadium."

kelana likes this.
  19. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

I think LD was motivated to win today because he has never won Malaysia SS before. LD remembers the embarrassing come behind by LCW in 2006 to win it - I think LCW got 10 straight points to win the Malaysia SS in 2006? Also, LCW had beaten LD three times in a row and LCW was probably tired of all his Malaysia SS wins - I just think LCW wasn't as motivated today.

I would still put LCW as the favorite over LD at the WC this summer if they meet. However, it looks like LD still playing as a top 3 player in the world so LD should be a force to be reckoned with at the WC this summer.

20. gelopisan

gelopisan Regular Member

LCW accepts defeat, but not his fans.

"Anyone can deal with victory. Only the mighty can bear defeat."
    -Adolf Hitler-