Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Zezevii

Zezevii Regular Member

Hi I'm new here

I've been following LD for more than 10 years and in my personal opinion what he said about Tokyo is more of a joke.
    After the final of AG a journalist from Europe(sorry cannot remember the exact country) asked for how long he would stay on the court and he replied something like he himself wasn't sure about that. The journalist then continued with whether he would play in Rio and that was when LD said Tokyo
    I think there is a very tiny chance that he will play until 2020 but I doubt that he will participate in any major event by then. It's possible that he might play for another Sudirman Cup or even the Thomas Cup after but definitely not OG in Tokyo

2. sh_shashi1

sh_shashi1 Regular Member

Student
    Even if he play till Tokyo only top 5 will pose a risk to him . His genius and impeccable footwork is beyond fault.

3. 0ozafo0

0ozafo0 Regular Member

I think he's a good player, but the fundementals of elite competition mandate speed, power and endurance. All aspects that inevitably decline with age. As much as his technique will still make him a powerful opponent, he'll be far too susceptible to younger athlete's simply outpacing him.

Evident from even just this year's All England, when his fitness drops just a bit and can't keep pace, he stops attacking because there's no opportunity to.
    Surely with another couple years, there's just simply no chance he can still keep up, impeccable footwork or not.

4. 0ozafo0

0ozafo0 Regular Member

Maybe he'll turn into to Taufik, play just to keep the sponsorship money and wear the brand on court. Making the occasional upsets once in a while but no longer winning any titles.

Hope it doesn't come down to that. Should quit while he's still ahead. No one wants to see Lin Dan become Michael Jordan's second run with the bulls :p:p

5. Zezevii

Zezevii Regular Member

Even with sponsorship he can still quit after Rio
    Peter Gade retired with sponsorship and he participated in a lot of promotional events to fulfill his contract

6. 0ozafo0

0ozafo0 Regular Member

I suppose it depends on the stipulations on the contract.
    I'm no lawyer or elite athlete, but I'd assume that competing would yield the most money out of a sponsorship contract.
    On the other hand, if the athlete starts to lose, their value as a promotional tool also depreciates.

7. Zezevii

Zezevii Regular Member

I guess LD and his lawyer can figure out what is the best for them.
    However considering LD's reputation in China he would stay quite a figure to Chinese sports even after his retirement so he might still have enough contracts.
    Bao Chunlai is now a TV celebrity in China and he had some major roles in TV series and films. He enjoys some nice sponsorship too. LD can sure make more money than him.
    So if LD continued until Tokyo,sponsorships wouldn't play a great role in his decision

8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

No, I'm pretty sure Lin Dan will never become another Taufik in his declining years, it's simply not like him. Once he realizes he can no longer keep up with his new main rivals,let alone start losing to mediocre players, he will know it's time to let go,in style,and go out with a big bang.

In fact, as we know, his 2013/14 comeback is a well thought out and calculated move as part of his future plan of which a third Olympic gold is the crux of it. He's not one to outstay his welcome and be at odds with his coaches and teammates.I won't be surprised when the time comes, perhaps one or two years if not immediately after the Rio Olympics, Li Yongbo may again start pestering him to take up coaching - that might just force Lin Dan to announce his retirement, not necessarily to take up LYB's offer but to continue other badminton-related work to fulfill his contractual obligations to Yonex.

Personally, I'd like to see him one day become a CBA coach and, hopefully, help to produce the next Lin Dan.

rhoder likes this.
  9. Zezevii

Zezevii Regular Member

A few years ago,perhaps even before London OG,Li Yongbo once said in an interview that he was holding his position for LD. He said he wanted LD to take over his job but he didn't think that LD was interested in his offer. BTW personally I think Cai Yun can be a better candidate.
    I guess LD will prefer some entertainment business after his retirement

10. renbo

renbo Regular Member

PG played with speed until 35, remaining in the top 5. If he avoid injuries, why not LD? To get to 35 would bring him close to Tokyo.

11. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
  12. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Thank you,Ferrerkiko. It was also reported in this article http://sports.qq.com/a/20150521/057441.htm

Briefly, the Four Heavenly Kings - Lin Dan, Lee Chong Wei, Taufik Hidayat, and Peter Gade - got together in Beijing today (21st May) and jointly conducted a promotional activity under the auspices of Yonex.

The four of them also played three friendly exhibition matches to 11-points, all in good fun, not to be taken seriously - first, a doubles match where LD partnered LCW vs TH and PG, won by the former 11-10; second is the singles match between LD and LCW which went to LD, 11-10; lastly, another doubles with changed partners, LD with TH vs LCW and PG, this time won by the latter 11-9.

In the first doubles match, the reporter said TH looked out of place leaving PG to 'fly all over the place'. The fun-loving PG then appeared 'disgruntled' and requested a rematch with changed partners, LD with TH while he paired with LCW who apparently could coordinate with PG much better than TH, the result LCW/PG won by 11-9.

Of course, such a gathering couldn't do without some interviews and the four recalling old times. Although they are born in the same era, they are/were adversaries , but at the same time they have cultivated a kind of friendship. At the function, they each recalled their impressions of their first encounter with each other.

What's amusing is the presenter let the four of them talked in turn about their respective badminton idols; LCW said in his time he idolised Sun Jun; as for Lin Dan, apart from admiring Sun Jun, he also idolises Peter Gade and Hendrawan; Taufik Hidayat stated forthright his idol is none other than Peter Gade; the oldest of the Heavenly Kings, Peter Gade, said owing to his age, in those years the players he admired the most were Yang Yang and Zhao Jianhua.

Even though among them only two are still competing, the four of them expressed a common desire to do a good job of developing junior badminton. Included in today's activity, the four spent most of their time playing badminton with the children of Cha Hai School of Physical Training and Xi Cheng Sports College and, under their encouragement, the children gave a good account of themselves.

14. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
  15. Devendra

Devendra Regular Member

Student
    Why? What did LD do?

16. sh_shashi1

Student
    She is ought to support LD since he will be needing some one besides him other than LYB lol. ;)

17. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

18. Zezevii

Zezevii Regular Member

She's from Guangdong and team of Guangdong wanted her to do coach works but she didn't want to stay apart from LD so she turned down all those offers and stayed in Beijing.
    I think she prefers to focus on her family rather than her possible coaching career,not a surprise to me though.

BTW some photos from today's Yonecx promotional event showed that she might be pregnant

19. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
  20. sh_shashi1

Student