Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. renbo

renbo Regular Member

LD and LYB are involved in CHN team, not the whole CBA. I think LYB only manage team A and B. The sponsors only also involve CHN team.
    For the whole CBA finance, I think the State should mainly provide for it, but I am sure they have other means as well.

2. Devendra

Devendra Regular Member

Student
    While we are at it, can someone explain to me the general structure of the organisation that CBA is? i.e. how are players organised, selected etc. Regional and Grassroots structure will an added bonus, if someone can provide.

3. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    I have no sources. I was only guessing.

My guess is based on the following:

(1) Li Na is now retired. LD is now the most valuable active athlete in China. If I remember correctly, LD earned around 30 million RMB a year before Li Na's retirement. With Li Na's absence, LD should earn more. My wild guess is that with LCW's impending 2 year ban, which is 99.99% certain, LD's sponsorship deal may also rise, but I think this may be debatable.

(2) Athletes' monthly salary is paid for by the provinces, not CBA.

(3) Singles player gets to keep about 40% of his or her prize money. For doubles players, they get around 24%.

http://wenwen.sogou.com/z/q259083266.htm

So, assuming CBA gets one-third of LD's income, that is about 10 million, which I think is sufficient to cover most of the staff's salary (eg, coaches, medical staff, admin) and other recurring costs (eg, shuttlecocks, food, water, medicine, electricity) for the year.

I don't know who pays for the athlete and coaches' flight and accommodation expenses. I guess for China, the athlete's prize money would be sufficient to cover everyone's overseas expenses.

If LD is to earn 50 million RMB next year and CBA gets 50% of that, it would amount to 25 million. Not even LYB knows what to do with all that money.

Again, I am only guessing here. Feel free to disagree.

4. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    ^ Thank you. So, I gather that you are just assuming some figures based on some data about other people. And making extrapolations based on one athlete from one other sport. And assuming incomplete expenditure estimates. And assuming contract details based on possible value and negotiating strength of one person (no matter how valuable he may appear from our perspective, we do not know exactly what he represents to the sports committee or those in power. We can only, again, guess, based on what we are led to believe.)

The link you have provided is of what appears to be a blog of an individual, and is not official or authoritative, although it is possible the person knows about this or is/was connected in some way with the CBA. However, there appears to be no official correlate so far.

I appreciate the amount of thought you have put into your postulation, and I don't mean to offend you. I actually don't "disagree" with you because I simply don't find enough grounds to formulate a proper disagreement, yet.

But then again, that is my take. Feel free to disagree. But I do feel that:

If the might of China and resourcefulness of their committees is insufficient to support the CBA, who has to rely upon Lin Dan's sponsorship money for survival, (as you seem to offer in your earlier post: "Suffice it to say that a huge source, if not most, of CBA's funding comes from LD's sponsorship income.")...

then we're definitely not talking about the same China.

5. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon

Of course you are right. Mighty China can easily pay all the bills of CBA even without a single RMB from Lin Dan.

But my point was simply this. LD has been contributing a lot of money to CBA, and that contribution may be enough to cover the recurring expenses of CBA.

6. jkkwongnz

jkkwongnz Regular Member

doctor
    LD is ranked 12 at the moment. If he is keen and making good recovery from his knee injury, I think there is reasonable chance to get into top 5 by the end of the year. I am not sure if he has a chance to play superseries final if he wins both Hong Kong and China open. Does anybody know?

7. Devendra

Devendra Regular Member

Student
    He won't be able to qualify. While there is still mathematical probability, if he wins both the remaining superseries AND the ones in top 8 all wither out in round 1, that's too far fetched.

8. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    so this SS Finals will be without both LD and LCW!!

9. Devendra

Devendra Regular Member

Student
    LCW may be there, we don't know yet. He withdrew from the coming two superseries, but he will nevertheless qualify, and if he is vindicated and his troubles ease, he can for sure make an appearance. He would already have had 2 months of break from badminton. If he misses superseries finals, he will have a 5 month break from the circuit, since we have Jan and Feb off for the athletes.

10. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    This is not a point. It is a guess. Or a thought. IMO, it is wildly misleading here.

I cannot see any national association being subsumed and beholden financially or otherwise to any single person -much less an active athlete who is one of the members of the team. The very submission that LD is "contributing" "a lot of money" to the CBA puts a massive spin on the facts. He is earning whatever money he does simply because he has been a part of the CBA national team for so many years, has been wildly successful, in part due to the strategies and infrastructure provided by the CBA (to say nothing of the coaching, training, etc etc) and in part due to his own diligence and talent. His endorsement value obtains from his status as a successful CBA and China athlete, nothing more, nothing less. If, according to terms of contract, he has to pony up a percentage of endorsement income to the association, then it is what it is. Your suggestions however, would make it appear that LD with his money power and his single-handed financial assistance is keeping the CBA afloat.

If LD is -more realistically- trying to re-negotiate terms of contract with CBA, then I wish him well. I'm sure he deserves it.

11. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    I am not suggesting LD's contribution keeps CBA afloat. Again, I agree with you that mighty China can easily pay all bills of CBA without a single RMB from LD.

But we cannot ignore the fact that LD's financial contribution to CBA is very significant relative to CBA's overall budget. This fact will obviously affect his re-negotiation with CBA. We all wish LD and CBA all the best.

#5211 pcll99, Oct 29, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  12. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    You did, repeatedly, suggest that LD's "contribution" keeps CBA afloat. Read above. Your insistence on choice of words perpetuates an image of LD helping out CBA financially. He is not "contributing". He is earning based on performance and value, and as per the terms of contract. I invite you to either say if this is correct, or not.

13. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Of course he is earning based on performance and value. :confused:

Of course that is correct!!! Nothing wrong with that.

#5213 pcll99, Oct 30, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  14. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Your carefully culled response is very illuminating.

This is a very respected badminton forum, if not the most respected badminton forum today. We need the cooperation of all our members to keep it that way. It will not remain so if members keep on attempting to perpetuate myths based on nothing more than imagination. The information shared here becomes a source of reference forever in the future, and this is how "truth" can be spun in gradual degrees away from fact.

Please try to refrain from such authoritative statements as you have made without verifiable and authentic information, in the future. It does not reflect the facts at all. And it can be very misleading, a tool for mischief and spreading and perpetuating of misinformation.

Thank you.

15. bennydut

bennydut Regular Member

student
    Hahaha... you killed it! In Boxing, it is called TKO. In Tennis, it is called double bagel. Good job Mr. Moderator!

16. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Yes, ok. I was just guessing. Sorry.

17. renbo

renbo Regular Member

I don't follow the moderator's argument here. Wheather LD earns his sponsorship money under his name or because he is a member of CHN team is precisely what is being negotiated by LD and LYB (as we are guessing). To say he is earning in the first way or on the second is simply to take side in the argument, not "spinning" the fact. Pcll99 beleives the sponsorship money is given to LD, which in turn give a portion to CHN team, and Cobalt beleives the sponsorship money is given to CHN tean, which in turns give a portion to LD. Both ways are coherent description of the situation, but based on different values. The moderator, pushing a member into saying he is spreading false information, is simply abusive.
    Besides, I think we should make a difference between CBA and CHN team. Let us suppose CBA has a budget given by the state, like all other national sport associations. This money serves in turn to give the regional organisation their budget. And then the municipal. And all other activities like training referees, regulating tournaments, etc. The CHN team in the overall CBA bugdet might not represent a big portion.
    Now if LD gets 10 million because of Gillette, and the CHN team get 7 millions out of that, it does not gives CHN team its day-to-day money, but it might give LYB an opportunity to get a Porsche or WSX to buy a flat downtown or whatever. That is out of the CBA budget, but can be found in what the CHN team get for itself.
    This is a fiction, it is one possibility of the CBA/CHN team finance. Other posiibilities also exist of course, like the sponsorship the CHN team can get goes all to CBA who then divid it according to its own priorities.

18. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    ^ renbo, please look up the definition of the word "contribution" and the nuances of the meanings therein.

Also, please explain exactly why anyone on this forum should so confidently throw about figures, allocations and subsidies, without backing them up with authentic sources of information. Does the phrase "responsible reporting" resonate at any level with you?

You mention the word "possibility" often enough. So all that you and pcll99 are doing is expressing your opinion based on non-fact. The difference is that pcll99 presented a possible myth as a fact. Yet you want to claim the prerogative to perpetuate this myth.

I have explained exactly what is wrong with such actions on this forum. Which part of that is not getting through to you today?

I would also like you to remember: before I am a moderator, I am a member. I too, like to imagine. But I try my best to post responsibly. As a moderator it is a part of my duties on this forum to try to ensure that others too, post responsibly. Here is what I wrote, in case you missed it. Read it carefully:

"Please try to refrain from such authoritative statements as you have made without verifiable and authentic information, in the future. It does not reflect the facts at all. And it can be very misleading, a tool for mischief and spreading and perpetuating of misinformation."

I take umbrage to your statement that...

"The moderator, pushing a member into saying he is spreading false information, is simply abusive."

Maybe you would like to justify the statement made by the member on page 306, post #5193, that started it all. And back it up with verifiable and authentic information by way of citation and links, not personal blogs. If you cannot convincingly explain how that statement is justified, I invite you to retract your above slur. Immediately.

And just in case you believe that I am "abusing" my "privileges" as a moderator, let me quickly disabuse you of that notion- I would be posting this stuff here even as a "regular member". Believe me. Check up on my history here. In fact, I would probably be more "abusive" in my approach. :D

I have read, and possibly interacted with you and pcll99 on many occasions, and have enough respect for both of you, and others on the forum. But I cannot allow that to interfere with my responsibility to uphold the standards that the forum is trying to maintain. I hope you and pcll99 -and everyone else- understand and appreciate that. I also believe these sentiments are true (possibly truer) for all the other mods here.

19. renbo

renbo Regular Member

The oxford dictionary says to "contribution" : gift or payment made to a common fund.
    There is nothing wrong with the use made of this word in the above posts. As for figures, it is said they are only there as imagined examples, not facts reported.

20. renbo

renbo Regular Member

But I agree with should not spread rumors on the financial deals between LD and CHN team. This is not what I disagree with! I disagree in the sense that what you opposed was as much a theory as what was put forward.