Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. hitsugaya1

hitsugaya1 New Member

I just saw that Du Pengyu is retiring, is there any chance that Lin Dan is going to take his place in WC? I may be dreaming but why not =p

2. nthanhhai

nthanhhai Regular Member

Not just that. Turn to a couple of pages back and you will see why it is not possible.

3. hitsugaya1

hitsugaya1 New Member

i just read them but i don't see why -_-... i mean his rank wasn't good enough to qualify at the time because there were other chinese players with better ranking but now that Du Pengyu retired isn't he eligible?
    Anyway if you say that it's not possible i believe you^^ but who's gonna take DP's place? i don't think they will let a player get directly to the 2nd round

4. nthanhhai

nthanhhai Regular Member

Tian Howei (I hope I type it right) took the reserve place and will play at WC.

5. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

If he didnt qualify, he didnt qualify. Another Chinese player retiring doesnt change that, only 2 get to go and there were another few ahead of him in ranking at the time.

6. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

That's really not true.

China could have sent LD, but because of his ranking at the time, they would have to go from 3 to 2 entries.

Thus LD's participation would have been at the cost of both DP and WZM (or WZM and TH as it turned out).

However, it is clear now, that China would have been better off sending CL and LD, than CL and any two. LD is the player with the best record so far in 2014 (only one loss, to JOJ at his best).

Unfortunately there's clearly a power-struggle within Chineese badminton right now, so them sending Lin Dan was out of the question. His apparent parting with LiNing probably didn't help either.

Now, BWF surely knew these consequences when they elected not to wild card LD - and it probably came down to a more political decision of not supporting the way Chinese badminton operates, by "handing them" an additional 4th entry two years in a row. I view it more as a game of shuttlecock politics, where BWF called China's bluff, but China wasn't really bluffing.

Who came out as loosers? Everyone. LD, China, Badminton as a whole, and the coming champion. Maybe unless it will be JOJ (which I think has a very good chance to win it). JOJ being the onlyone to beat LD this year, would be able to walk away without the "had LD just been here..." tag on his trophy.

Apart from LD, DP and SS missing out, I'm REALLY looking forward to see the world championships next week.

7. zhuangcorp

zhuangcorp Regular Member

If Lin Dan has issues with CNT, couldn't he just compete as a independent like so many other players do?

8. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I guess as an "independent" he can't qualify because of his low world ranking at that time.

9. renbo

renbo Regular Member

I guess LD cannot go independant so easily. It happened before with TH of course, and in China with Li Na, but somehow the control of individual players by the CNT is much stronger. Perhaps because the players were trained bu the National Organisation since very early age?
    Perhaps I underestimate the need or taste for freedom by the young generation. But LD has linked himself so strongly to the army...

10. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

You have to be in good standing with your association to play in tournaments, it's one of the rules. I suppose China could try and give BWF good reason why he was not and he could not enter. Although all a bit extreme.

11. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Actually, there is a rule a China, the negotiations and power struggles are conducted behind closed doors and no dirty clothe is washed in public.

12. renbo

renbo Regular Member

What I mean is, the Chinese team would prefer to say to any third party " LD is resting and enjoying family time", even if it means missing a medal at the WC.

13. fauci

fauci Regular Member

One would not realize how great Lin Dan is until one sees how difficult it is for a player to win one of these big titiles. Players of Lee Chong Wei and Li Xuerui's calibre lost consecutively in WC finals. Many others got it once and disappeared. But for Lin Dan, almost every time he competed, he brought home a trophy, and he did that time and time again.

14. Dougie

Dougie Regular Member

Buyer
    5 WC titles tells you all you need to know. LD is so far ahead of the rest. He throws crumbs for LCW to feed on....He is still best player in the world by a distance...the way he disposed of SS in Australia proved this AGAIN. This was the player who tore LCW apart in 2 sets....Feel desperately sorry for JOJ as I felt this could have been his time...Gulf between LD & the rest is as wide as ever & he has hardly played for 2 years in competition. WHY is this !!

15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

May I urge kwun to restore the 'Like' button,please? Oftentimes, we've nothing to say or add but to show our approval,support and appreciation for certain posts, and simply clicking 'Like' will suffice.

16. phaaam

phaaam Regular Member

What bothers me most about the whole LD and WC situation is that he seemed complacent in that he would get the wild card spot. He knew he had to be a certain ranking in order to be sent to the WC, and yet he didn't compete more this year in order to meet that cutoff.

17. zhuangcorp

zhuangcorp Regular Member

I totally disagree. Lin Dan won 5 times, I think he just doesn't care about WC anymore. He probably only wants to save himself for the Olympics.

Did you see him during the Thomas Cup, everybody was devastated but he was smiling. He only has 1 target now, nothing else matters to him.

18. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Yes.

Qualifying for the WC is too much work and risk for Lin Dan at his age and stage of his career. He doesn't need another WC title; but he does need another Asian Games title.

#4998 pcll99, Sep 13, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  19. senior888

senior888 Regular Member

Consultant
    I don't think he needs any title anymore but the game still needs him for his supreme skills and
    exciting play as most other players are one dimensional - LD's greatness is that he is not afraid to
    lose, so his game is always calm and consistant, but mind you, he does hate losing.

20. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Great comment. Not afraid to lose; that's what sets him apart from LCW.