Li Xuerui ( 李雪芮 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by cobalt, Nov 4, 2011.

1. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Off course they express that opinion! What else to say! It does not mean they don't feel better in that environment.
    It is simple psychology. Some people need strict surroundings so they feel driven by some force, which they don't have internally. CWF seems to me an example.
    On the opposite, Jiang YJ used to be playing very well against her team mates, because she felt confident then.

2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I'm sure the CHN players are speaking from their hearts, not once but time and again. There are/were few exceptions, I recall Gao Ling recently in one interview saying she , unlike most of her teammates, actually enjoyed playing in team events as she seemed to thrive under the pressure. As for Wang Xin whom you mentioned, I remember she cracked under pressure in at least one of the team events, offhand I can't recall which one; Wang Yihan didn't do too good either. As we know, Chen Long is the worst example.

Lin Dan, as is well-known, is a rare example of one who thrives under the burden of the pressure of expectations whether in team or individual tournaments, so much so his coaches, esp LYB, and his teammates always feel reassured with him playing, particularly in team championships.Clearly, Lin Dan is the exception rather than the rule.

Even in Chong Wei Feng's case pointed out by you, he is the exception in the MAS camp; still he disappointed in the tiebreaker with Emil Holst in the Thomas Cup semifinal clash, a player he's expected to beat due in no small part to nerves, apparently. We can agree to disagree, of course.

3. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Sure, they all crack under pressure, that's why they have won so many cups...
    You don't understand the behaviour that is required from the players, what is proper to say and not to say, and apply simple-minded notions about pressure

4. kelana

kelana Regular Member

globalresearch.ca
    I think it's completely wrong... upside down :) lol

As a rule of thumb and applied to all nations, for an athlete to play in a team event esp. the major ones such as TC & UC, the pressure is way much higher than playing at individual tournaments!

5. renbo

renbo Regular Member

People react differently to situations. I am sure for many team events will bring more pressure. But for others, it is a comforting situation, where they are supported by others, where they can feel the warmth and let go their fear. Being member of a group is a pressure for me, but for many it is a relief. It is to rely on oneself that brings pressure - not the pressure of expectation, but the pressure of being pointless.
    You have to reason past "I must deliver for the team" pressure. That is to simple.

6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

The psychology is simple - when playing as a team, any one player/pair's performance directly affects the whole team, i.e. you win or lose as a team as far as team results are concerned, whereas in individual competitions, one player/pair's loss has much less effect as the remaining teammates who are still surviving and/or doing well is a comforting thought because you win or lose as an individual which is reflected in the individual results.

7. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Th
    That is not psychology, it is how the tournaments works.
    How what you said affect the players will differ from case to case I believe. Of course this is just my opinion. But the difference between LXR's performance in WC finals, where she crumbled under pressure, and UC, where she has a no-fault record, seems to show that she likes better team events.
    It is really something to feel the whole group pushing you, it is positive energy as well as pressure.

8. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    It is understandable re the lost to TTY, you don't want to face either WYH or WSX. You don't want to be the one affecting their quest for a ticket to Rio.

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

You know, I know, but I thought it better left unsaid, for understandable reasons.

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I just finished watching the replay of Li Xuerui vs Sung Ji Hyun in the Uber Cup Final. I came way, once again, blown away, Li Xuerui at her consummate best, a masterful display, a veritable masterpiece, particularly in G2 and the decider.

Here's the match, worth watching repeatedly :

11. renbo

renbo Regular Member

very sensible

12. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    I hope you will prove all your doubters wrong by winning this Olympic.

13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

She will if she plays like she did at the Uber Cup earlier, steady nerves, exuding confidence and believing in herself.

Li Xuerui to win her second Olympic Gold ! First, equal Zhang Ning's record of two OG golds, then gun for a third at Tokyo 2020 for a three-peat !

14. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    She probably will go to Tokyo if she still single. The chance is high.

15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I'm forced to eat humble pie. I admit I overrated Li Xuerui. I thought her mentality issue is not that serious anymore but I'm proven wrong. It is still serious for her at the individual major tournaments, the Olympics and World Championships. Sad to say but true, her mental weakness is her Achilles' heel. She is her own worst enemy.

When she said before her life is only badminton, eat and sleep - I worry for her. How can she has no interest outside of badminton ? Even if badminton is her life, her life shouldn't be only badminton.

Pardon my presumptuousness, Li Xuerui, please take up some other meaningful activity to lead a more balanced, healthy and complete life. I assure you, when you do that, your badminton will get even better, most of all, your mental stress at the major individual tournaments that's been affecting you will be overcome. Give it a try, you've nothing lose, nay, you've everything to gain and become a happier person leading a more fulfilling life, a fuller , richer life in the best sense of the word.

May I suggest you take up meditation and cultivate a lifetime reading habit, no, not those trashy novels, romance stories or horoscopes and suchlike, but something more meaningful, edifying and inspirational, such as words of wisdom, great quotations,life-changing autobiographies and biographies of great thinkers,men and women,and read some philosophy, you know what I mean.

No, you mustn't say you've no time for it; yes, you must make time for it, essential and worth the effort and time, for "The unexamined life is not worth living", a quote attributed to Socrates. Reading is not just for pleasure or entertainment but also for mental stimulation, knowledge and wisdom, stress reduction, to improve analytical thinking skills,to improve focus and concentration, increase your vocabulary; generally, it will help you to grow up, mature and be a happier , better person and, by extension , a better player as well. Reading is a kind of meditation too. Believe me, you won't regret it. Just do it, I appeal to you. All the best.

kwun likes this.
  16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I mean, Li Xuerui, no matter how much you love badminton or badminton is your life, your life is not only badminton. Because you are, first and foremost, a human being, not just or only a badminton player.

What's more, whatever you do or choose not to do outside badminton , can have an effect on your game. You have to grow and develop as a whole person, not just as a badminton player.

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

For now, take a break, treat your injury, recuperate. How about doing some useful reading while rehabilitating?

At 25 years of age, you are still young, there is still a long way ahead of you. Stay positive. Be strong. Reflect on your life. Learn from the wise.

18. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    What is the status of her injury? Is there any serious ligament injury? Is she playing bronze match?

19. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    torn ACL. she will go back to China to have it fixed. typically at least 6 months break if not more and will definitely affect how she plays afterwards, think Wang Xin, Wang Lin. it is very sad.

visor likes this.
  20. SixSeven

SixSeven Regular Member

I think she should take this chance and retire early instead of carrying on with mediocre result (if that's an option, don't know how the Chinese national team system work). She has achieved what most players could only dream of achieving already.

#980 SixSeven, Aug 18, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2016