Li Xuerui ( 李雪芮 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by cobalt, Nov 4, 2011.

1. repentedboy

repentedboy Regular Member

student la
    Whoever gets picked, their task is to assist Wang Yihan as much as possible should things go smoothly. Let the experienced player go for the gold.

2. alana07

alana07 Regular Member

LYB needs a newer and much more powerful crystal ball to do this.

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
  4. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

btw, if one of you guys gived a chance to replaced LYB now, with exactly the same situation (OG ahead), would you be happy to have 4 players with such pretty same level that just give you a headache to choose 3 of them, or you would hope you just have 2 or even just 1 player to send?

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I will have 3, no need to choose either,you didn't give me this option.:)

6. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

ups, forget about that. :p

7. vixter

vixter Regular Member

"Whoever gets picked, their task is to assist Wang Yihan as much as possible should things go smoothly. Let the experienced player go for the gold."

What does this even mean, assist Wang Yihan? Sounds weird to me. How can they assist her in any other way than winning their own matches of course, which they would want to do for themselves anyway.

All the chinese top girls have the capacity to go for gold on their own. LXR is for example always beating WYH. Do you think that if they were to meet in SF, the task of LXR is to give an easy victory to WYH? I'll believe it when I see it... Possibly they would play hard in 1st set and the winner of 1st set should get an easy 2nd set...

8. repentedboy

student la
    No Wang Yihan will cruise to the Gold Medal match. LXR is only either supporting player or backup should others fail.

CBA will not risk letting her play in the Gold Medal. Too inexperienced. Furthermore, Wang Yihan has played in the same venue last year. She and WX are familiar with the court and drift while LXR doesn't . That is important thing to note also.

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

LXR's good fortune at being selected for LOG may not be totally surprising owing to her stellar performance the last couple of months but I'm quite worried whether she can handle the pressure of the burden of expectation.

If the sohu.com poll is anything to go by where question #3 asks who will win WS gold at London Olympics, she is actually voted as the no.1 candidate, ahead of WYH,WX, and others - I'm quite taken aback.

As of now, out of 5118 pollsters, LXR has 1972 (38.53%) votes, WYH 1817 (35.5%), WX 864 (16.88%), Others 465 (9.09%).
    http://sports.survey.sohu.com/poll/result.php?poll_id=62838
    http://2012.sohu.com/20120709/n347707576.shtml

As it is,her OG selection in place of WSX has aroused some dissenting voices in CHN, I wonder what would be the reaction or backlash if she falters or fails to progress at least to the semi-final - will it break her career? Her relatively young age and,more importantly,lack of experience on big occasions are cited as the main drawback but,obviously,LYB and coaches are willing to overlook or downplay that and place their confidence in her sterling results in recent months.

Let us hope she is in the form of her life during the London Olympics. Wish her all success!:)

10. repentedboy

student la
    CBA may forgive her but post match harassment will resume

She does not need to worry about this now. However, if accident really happens and she fails, she has a lot to answer to ongoing press harassment and also going to receive hate messages from fans.

I reckon it may turn ugly for her after the tournament.

If all three of them fail, they will be harassed and criticised day and night. And this good for nothing biased Gill Clark will repeatedly use the same excuse to belittle them every time they step onto court.

Just like how she always (nothing new to add) mention about WYH's flop in UC and then omitted from AG. Such an obnoxious commentator. LXR will face more than just her if that happens. Bear that in mind.

11. laonong

laonong Regular Member

If she failed this Olympic game, LXR may become a female version of LD: win 4 WC, one OLY, 5 AE, etc. LXR has a strong body like LD.

12. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I wonder what will happen to LXR if she disobeys orders from the higher ups and goes on to become the Olympics champion.

Will she go in the way of ........?

If she is banished from CHN, the rest of the world will be just too happy to adopt her. ;)

13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

LXR's aggressive attacking style requires a lot of energy,she has to be supremely fit with great stamina. It'd be better for her to adopt some defensive stroke play coupled with deception a la WSX to be a more balanced,complete player.

She's still young and strong and has the physicality to play fast and furious badminton but how long can she keep going like that, a few years perhaps? Look at Lin Dan,he's slowing down,not attacking as much nowadays.

14. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Yes, but LD has the talent and smarts to make adjustments. Bottom line, he's still the best, regardless of playing style.

When the time comes, it'll be interesting to see if LXR is just a one trick pony or a truly talented player.

15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

If it ever comes to that,I won't be surprised she disobeys order (hope such a situation doesn't arise,may the best player of the day wins). I think she'll be forgiven if she wins gold;otherwise,the rest of the world will welcome her with open arms.

I believe Chinese players,or Chinese people in general,are no longer what we thought the obedient,submissive type, not in a country founded on revolution - it's more to do with their putting nation before self mentality, not so much kowtowing to authority. The present generation,esp, is so vocal and expressive of their feelings. As we know from their microblogs,Cai Yun was visibly upset, Gong Weijie disappointed and regretful at WSX missing out on the Olympics, WSX herself still sorrowful, not to mention all the other online reactions. This is modern China.

16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

You're very right,Lin Dan has become so versatile and can adapt and play different styles or at different pace to deal with various opponents, that's why he is still top of the heap, simply the best.

Wish LXR to become the female version of Lin Dan ! She is such a delight to watch. In this regard, beginning to miss Wang Xin who is similarly wonderful too.

17. madbad

madbad Regular Member

In the case of WX, her playing style is very easy on the eyes but she is almost always stuck in one gear–overdrive. Smart players can overcome her by varying the pace. She could be well found out in the Olympics.

As far as LXR, we have not seen enough of her to know if she has the ability to make the necessary adjustments when Plan A fails. She is a veritable attacking machine but there are days when the machine isn't running as smoothly and Plan B has to be employed. Let's see if she has a Plan B.

18. SantaSCSI

SantaSCSI Regular Member

I'd say her age and her furious attacking play is directly connected. We were all like that when we were young remember? The question is indeed: how long can she keep it up. She's skyrocketing at the moment, so she better not run out of fuel before the OG ends.

If LXR can, over time obviously, complete her playstyle with the experience, stamina and solid play of WYH, she will truly be the WR1 for a long time. Trouble is, you can never tell the future. Physical issues, mental problems, ego, ... it all took victims in the past.

19. vixter

vixter Regular Member

Are you saying Gill Clark belittles the chinese players? What are you listening with. She always praises their racket skills. Yes, she often mentions WYH's flop in UC, to follow up with telling how she successfully overcame this setback and returned to the top.

20. rahuldarga

rahuldarga Regular Member

IT
    True. I just finished watching last year's Indonesia open final and she mentioned UC flop to emphasize on the fact how WYH hit back at her critics by ruthlessly dominating WS since that flop show. She does repeat the same thing about a particular player or coach which is sometimes irritating but she never belittles Chinese Players or any player for that matter.