Li-Ning Singapore Open organisers promise more

Discussion in 'Thailand / Indonesia / Singapore Open 2013' started by Loh, May 2, 2013.

1. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Hmm, is that one way for the TV cameras to show there are more spectators than there actually are?

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Take a MRT train there to avoid part of the haze. Wear a N95 mask as suggested when you are out in the open and when crossing the short distance from Stadium station to the SIS.

When you are finally in the SIS, you may not want to leave it, because the air quality inside is good, the seats are comfortable, the atmosphere is a bit quiet now and you may bring your own container with drinks to avoid being detained at the entrance. They do not allow drinks bought from outside to compete with the vendors inside the stadium who have to pay rent.

When I go there probably today, I will bring my camera to test whether they will stop me. It is unlikely so long as I don't us the flash.

The air-conditioned SIS is very comfortable for even an afternoon nap!

3. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Dang, I was hoping to walk from the City Centre ....... Not the best Idea now, it seems.

Enjoyed my long walk at night in Jakarta too much ........

4. nizze

nizze Regular Member

Thanks for the sharing Loh! Glad to hear that the air quality inside SIS is good :)
    Will probably dropped by when the haze clears up abit :)

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Bobby

Please see below. Loh is trying to help raise the atmosphere but not allowed...

6. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    In other countries - all types of banners are allowed ...... why is it so difficult for Singapore organizers to adapt? These banners are to support the players and the event too.

7. bdfreak87

bdfreak87 Regular Member

Singapore have just too many rules & regulations.. its well known to most people

8. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

wasn't that years ago men were not allowed to have long hair?
    hope that been relaxed since, not that matter much to me now anyway

9. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    Maybe I have a sensitive nose. There seems to be
    a burning smell in the air and its a bit hazy inside the stadium. Perhaps its the lighting.

Good point on the afternoon nap. I took a snooze as the matches were so boring :D

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Strangely enough, you can still smoke in Singapore - I find that bizarre when chewing gum is banned.

Disclaimer: BC is a non-political website. Would that help a banner be displayed?

11. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    I remember many years ago I went to the old National Stadium to watch the final of the Tiger Cup. We brought along a flag about 1 metre long and was not allowed in and we have to keep it back in the car. This was so ridiculous. And during that match there were some spectators wore t-shirts sewn in the design of their national flags.

Now we see so many banners in football matches.

12. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    In general rules and regulations are needed to inform, to help maintain law and order, to safeguard the interest of members, to inculcate discipline, etc.

This is true for social clubs, and other formal organisations and even for schools and other educational institutions.

I'm not sure whether Singapore is the number one country with the most rules. But rules are not necessarily bad and they exist for a reason although each country may impose different rules on the same thing in sync with its culture and practice.

For example Singapore does not allow ordinary people to own guns for security reasons. But the US, or at least in some states, and even the Philippines are more relaxed on this. They may feel it is a democratic right to be able to buy a gun to protect oneself. The negative side of this is that some of these guns fall into wrong hands and innocent people are killed. Not all people can think for themselves and may innocently do the wrong things against society.

But as societies change, the rules will have to change too to keep up will times. Yes long time ago our government banned long hair but not so now. Long hair during that time was associated with negative events and personalities such as gangsters, and being a typically Asian society, Singapore can ill afford to let loose moral values to influence young minds.

As for smoking, it has been restricted or banned in most places where people usually gather, like restaurants, hospitals, schools,bus stops and others, so as to prevent the ill effects of smoking from spreading to particularly non-smokers.

Chewing gum is a separate matter. The government decided to ban it as people, including children, indiscriminately throw the gum everywhere including on carpets, sticking them into train doors that caused them to mal-function, etc. Cleaning them and putting them back to function normally involved unnecessary time and cost.

But gums that are used for medical purposes are not banned.

Some rules have to be changed depending on circumstances. When Singapore just became independent, the government urged parents to stop at two children as it was concerned that the country then would not have sufficient resources to deal with a population explosion, when the more urgent problem was to provide adequate housing and jobs for all.

When Singapore became more prosperous and needed young people to grow the economy, the slogan to parents was "have more than two if you can afford it".

So rules play a part in keeping pace with the changes in the country and making them more meaningful and relevant. The changing demands of society will force policy makers like the members of parliament to take note and effect the necessary changes over time. Old rules may be taken out and new ones made to replace them.

#92 Loh, Jun 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  13. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    In other words, they don't know which rules to apply ...... wakakakaka. Very "fine" Singapore is the only consistent rule.

14. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    I went yesterday when the smog recorded a new Singaporean record of above 400 - yup, Sealman's nose is not the problem, the haze had penetrated to the outmost depths of even the Dhobi Ghaut subway ......

How bad? Here's an indication ....

Causeway 0645.jpg
    Conditions at the Causeway as my slow train passed thru early in the morning ....

Woodlands 0900.jpg
    Woodlands 0905.jpg
    These pics, taken at Woodlands MRT at around 9 am after a nice hearty McDonalds breakfast ....

Marina Bay Sands 1410.jpg
    Depressing pics continue, as I abort my original plan to visit the Marina Bay Sands SkyPark .....

15. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    This created a muted atmosphere in the Stadium .... yeah, when my old cheerleader rival got to keep quiet for almost the whole session (except the Polii/Nitya match), something is wrong ......

INAcheer came.jpg
    My old rival came into town ......

demise KOR.jpg
    ... to orchestrate the demise of this young smooth-skinned pair ....

KOR dressing down.jpg
    .... which put them in trouble with Coach Lee Dong Soo

CSBYX.jpg
    These lovely Chinese Jedis too got into huge trouble ......

CS toilet.jpg
    BYX : What's the matter, are you hurt?
    CS : No!!! Shxt, I gotta take a dump!!!
    BYX : What?!!! Right here on court?

JPN WD.jpg
    Their cute Japanese rivals sensed an opportunity ....

JPN advantage.jpg
    ..... and pressed home their advantage ....

Jedi defence.jpg
    ..... and the Jedis were vanquished.

MJ fate.jpg
    Ma Jin and her partner too shared the Jedis' fate ....

JR whirlwind.jpg JR whirlwind2.jpg JR whirlwind3.jpg
    ..... as the Jaya Raya Girls turned the haze into a gale .....

Sigit Cheer.jpg
    Coach Sigit Budiarto too, had something to celebrate, as the line judge gave another point to his team .....

Pretty SJ.jpg Lovely Umpire.jpg
    Despite the lack of drama and attendance, these officials provide some relief ..... yup we need more of them good looking folks.

These pics were taken as Zhang Nan and Zhao Yunlei watched their conquerers, KSH and KHN being shown the door by their own compatriots ...

ZNZYL conversation.jpg
    ZN : We could have easily beaten Yoo and Eom ....
    ZYL : And who's fault landed us here in the first place?! I told you, the, erm, lambada after the Djarum Super Series Premier Final could wait till we are back in China .... But noooo, you wanted to be the macho one ....

ZNZYL conversation2.jpg
    ZN (by SMS to ZYL) : I'm really sorry ....... it was the hormones.
    ZYL (reply to SMS): Don't bother ...... since when do males have hormone imbalance.

16. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    abedeng -the Best storyteller in BC, by a distance!!!! Thank you for brightening the day! :)

17. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Those legs on the right just don't look natural!! :eek: Are they made of noodle?

18. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    No, Miss Pradipta was preparing to lunge forward in anticipation of MJ's deception ....

19. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Especially for fans of TTY

TTY celebrated her birthday recently and was rewarded with a win over Japan's Minatsu Mitani on 20 June during R16. Here are some pictures to commemorate her victory and for her fans. :)

Attached Files:

20. miksss

miksss Regular Member