Li Ning No. 1 String - Anyone using it?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Charlie-SWUK, Aug 20, 2015.

1. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

the initial tension drop isn't that much bigger than with most other strings tbh. BG66UM is at the same level I would say, BG80 slightly(!) better, BG65 and 65ti even worse imo.
    During a tournament, the pros will get a fresh string job for each match so frankly, they don't care at all about that tension drop. They order their usual tension and they will get it with the same effective tension as they are used to.

speCulatius likes this.
  2. mew1838

mew1838 Regular Member

That might explain why BG65 is usually strung at crazy tensions. People who claim to string their BG65 at >30lb don't sound so impressive anymore.

3. Vivek Bagadhi

Vivek Bagadhi Regular Member

Doctor
    From what I have seen in the photos, he uses Aerobite or some hybrid string but definitely not the LN1

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

4. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Are you sure because this is definitely not my experience. LN1 drops significantly without even playing, whereas aerobite for example sounds the same a week later without playing.

5. Vivek Bagadhi

Doctor
    I can confirm that it drops max 2 lbs but after that it stays good for a long time like 2 weeks maybe (never counted that but it should be almost that) and qualities slightly become better, the repulsion, the ping, the sound produced while hitting a shuttle, everything is perfect.

6. Derpington

Derpington Regular Member

Even with the 4 knots it still loses a lot tension?
    What about pre stretch it?

I've bought some of this to replace bg80 that snaps quickly but haven't tried it yet.

#1306 Derpington, Sep 9, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
  7. llrr

llrr Regular Member

I agree with everything about how the string feels better (honestly significantly better) after the initial tension drop. Its playing characteristics stay optimal for weeks if not months. The issue I have is that it drops by way more than 2lbs, at least from my experience. The same stringer using the same stringing pattern strings all my racquets, and I've tried many strings before.

8. Vivek Bagadhi

Doctor
    I should ask this to you guys, did anyone try pre stretching the string? Like 10% 15%. The stringer in my town as a Li Ning E7000 which has a rotational rotor, so I am not so sure if he has a prestretch option on his machine.

9. mew1838

mew1838 Regular Member

It drops by 3lb by the time I get home from the shop. Another 1lb after 2 sessions. it's at 23ish lb now from being strung at 27lb. I read somewhere that prestretching makes this string feel less lively so I will opt to string at higher tension next time.

10. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

All strings drop tension right off the machine and without even playing. Aerobite drops less than LN1, but it still drops. And as said, there are strings that lose even more tension than LN1 which imo sits somewhere in the middle of the range.

This! And that's what sells me to LN1 every time. I can play with one string job at least twice as long as say with a BG80 before it loses its feel.

It doesn't have any influence on tension drop if a stringer uses 4 knots or 2 knots patterns. If you really want to go down that theoretical path, it should even be the other way round. But bottom line, there is no noticeable difference if both are done by the same stringer. Same with pre-stretch. The only thing you get with using pre-stretch is a slightly higher tension in the beginning so that if feels like you get less tension loss afterwards. You could as well just start like 2 lbs. higher without pre-stretch and end up an the same settled tension.

Vivek Bagadhi likes this.
  11. mew1838

mew1838 Regular Member

The hitting sound from the Ln 1 boost is so addictive. It has a very nice bass to it as opposed to the higher tone from the aerosonic.

12. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I have only tried LN1 Boost once and it snapped on the machine. Never touched it again, so my comments only refer to the "non-boost" LN1.

13. Derpington

Odd, in theory, if you prestretch, the string will lose its elasticity thus hold its set tension?

I pre-stretch mine at 10% so it will stretch to 30lbs then back to 28 and it should stay there longer period than the un stretched ones.

In my experience it does hold but I'm not sure for how long since i snap it quicker than when i didn't (ofc since when i didn't, it lost tension thus more durable)

14. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

the pre-stretch phase is too short to do much there. Just make a test with the same racket, same string, same tension, once with 10% pre-stretch, and once without. You will get a higher ping from the stringbed when using PS but it will then drop the same amount afterwards.

Vivek Bagadhi likes this.
  15. Derpington

Before i started pre stretching, more times i cut the string before it snapped since it became dull, less control from the loss tension, but after, most of the time i snap it.

It might be to a different factor but I'm sticking with it.

16. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

A lot of stringers use PS as standard, so that's a matter of taste and personal style in the end. I tried it a couple of time on my own rackets and ended up preferring the feel of the non-stretched string. Just be careful not to push the frame over it's stability limit, especially if you're dealing with weak frames like Victor Lightfighters, Yonex Flashboosts and some cheap-ass noname rackets and higher tensions. Keep in mind that instead of the set let's say 30 lbs., you will effectively apply 33 lbs. for short periods of time and that might push the frame over its limit and cause breakages.

Derpington likes this.
  17. Vivek Bagadhi

Doctor
    Well control actually isn't the string's forte so it's not from the tension loss, but rather due to the coating being slippery, one can say that Control is not in its genes

18. mew1838

mew1838 Regular Member

Can somebody confirm the boost is less slippery than the original? I don't seem to have the strings moving problem while playing with this. Definitely not as rough as BG80 but it feels like any other normal string with fresh coating.

19. Derpington

Not sure about you mate but to me, it does affect control. Less tension = more repulsion, a slight touch can affect my feel about how i hit the bird, especially net shots.

20. Derpington

broke this string on my 2nd day. Guess it's not as durable as i thought it was.

Feel was similar to bg80, slightly softer. Everything else is good. Will give it another go.