Li Ning No. 1 String - Anyone using it?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Charlie-SWUK, Aug 20, 2015.

1. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I just knew that you will like it. That No.1 to me feels like a perfect mixture of BG80 and ZM62F, added with a pinch of BG66UM. I used it for the rackets of two clubmates (both die-hard BG80 users), and both loved it from the beginning.

And as a bonus, I just like stringing it. The rubbery surface gives it a nice grip while weaving the crosses and since it's quite thin and stable, it's easy to thread a lot of shared grommets without using a string mover or stuff like that.

The only downside I found is that the outer layer of the string is likely to separate from the rest of the string while tying (Toshi-) knots. I wonder if it's even possible to use Mark's triple Parnell at all without damaging the coating. Anyone else noticed this?

2. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Don't try R4X110 then, hehe. :D

3. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I only really tighten the first Parnell and use the other two for bulking; if you tighten the second one too much the third one is nasty... and the tail? Forget it - you're going to shred it.

I've started wetting my fingers and running the string through them before tying off, and it seems to help.

4. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Is there any feedback on durability yet? I bought it primarily for me as I don't break strings but I'm going to let a couple of big hitters try it. Just not when I'm the other side of the net.

5. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I've been playing a 32/33 PS for weeks now and haven't broke it. Doing really well for a .66.

6. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

0.65 mm :p

7. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    I love how I've spent the first 6 or so games thinking I've strung it 1lb too tight, then BAM! Suddenly you can clear/ drive an extra 1/4 court for same effort. In a very controllable progressive way with no impact on touch shots. Love it. Move over 62 fire, you've been replaced.

8. visor

visor Regular Member

Can't wait for No. 3 to come out.:) Winston should have stock any time now. That may replace ZM62 Fire...

9. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

And here comes the best part - once it has settled to this BAM!-status, it will stay there like forever. I had to cut mine after 2+ months but only because I saw a bit of microscopical fraying and league matches were about to start again. The string still felt awesome and I didn't feel any significant loss of repulsion at all.

10. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

It's like Ultimax, but harder and better! :D

11. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Indeed, you could say it's what a .65 should be like, because Yonex's sub 0.66's are all softer than a rotten peach.

If they came out with a 0.65 Vectran... ho boy, I might never use anything else.

12. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

... I have just started drooling uncontrollably... :rolleyes:

13. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    I tried Aerosonic, didn't like it as much as No.1, as you said it was too soft, and it was also more slippery; repulsion was pretty good.

I'm not so sure about No.3, I think they'll end up sacrificing something like the control of the string (don't know about you guys but I find No.1 to be a little rough - not like sandpaper, but noticeably), and that's what I think is gonna suffer with No.3.

14. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I thought the #1 was a bit like BG80P, actually - grippy, but not rough.

15. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    I've had a set sent to me, maybe I'll string it up. Any ideas on tension?

16. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Don't ask me - I'm a mental case who'll just say "33/34";).

I'd say 30 or 31 is probably the sweet spot with that stuff, and it will definitely take it; I've got a weeks-old 32/33 in my bag that just won't break, or even fray.

17. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Well, as we've all found, Li Ning pings high, so that 30 job probably feels more like 32/33 or so. I'm playing on 30 at the moment, and that's sitting about right for my strength.

It's surprisingly resilient.

And yeah grippy is a good way to describe it, it has that rubbery surface when it's tight. It's not as grippy at lower tensions. I'm not complaining I like the extra control :D

Haven't used 80P to compared it to though.

18. visor

visor Regular Member

How's No. 1 compared to ZM62F? Feel, repulsion, control, durability, etc?

The latter very likely has the same 0.65mm diameter, which is supported by the fact that they ping the same at the same tensions. Do they look like the same thickness?

19. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    I found it pings high but doesn't feel as high as it pings. 1140 currently wheras I was around 1080 for 62fire in same racquet at same tension I think. That's after a couple of sessions.
    [MENTION=57143]visor[/MENTION] they are very similar. Its probably in the middle of 62f and 66u in terms of feel. Has the rubbery feel of 66u. And the repulsion of both. Summed ;)

I'm still amazed at it. I can't get over how power comes easy like it strung 2lb lower yet maintains control as if it was 1lb tighter. Or is that just me?

20. visor

visor Regular Member

Hmmm, interesting. Can't wait to try. More repulsion than 62F? Probably has better material resilience.

And control comes from being thin and having a rough grippy surface.

How's it stand up to nicking at the intersections? Is the outer jacket durable enough? I find ZM62F outer jacket is quite sturdy, taking around 12-14 hrs of playing before any nicking shows up. And when that happens, that's when there's a noticeable drop in power and the string needs to be cut.

#100 visor, Feb 19, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2016