let's together answer : what is the ideal tension?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by kwun, Nov 14, 2003.

1. racketman123

racketman123 Regular Member

Dentist in training...
    Depends on the topic you're talking about ;)
    Christmas, or the thread :D

2. ipang_bam

ipang_bam Regular Member

Engineer, Badminton Coach
    Ideal String Tension ?

I've read much posting, and It's all good and perfect. In my opinion what's the ideal tension was depend how good quality of the shuttlecock we used of. In my country Indonesia, many players played with cheap and low speed quality shuttlecock. If we strung with high tension so makes our stroke awful, the shuttlecock can't touch the opposite baseline. So the racket should be strung with low tension (18-22 Lbs). If we're used good quality shuttlecock (77-78 gram) tournament grade, so It's doesn't matter if you're stringing with low tense, It's good for control and maintain your power when played. With hight tension using grade tournament shuttlecock maybe little risk to control your stroke power (out of line), does proffesional player always usually played with same condition tournament by tournament. Thanks..

3. 5t0ic

5t0ic New Member

high school
    help

help I'm new and frantic i just ordered a nano ray 600 and i had it strung to 25lbs when the max is 22. I am not sure what to do and how careful to be. I thought that the site wouldn't allow you to string above the recommended tension. Is there any way I can lower the tension without cutting the string and should i be worried about being 3lbs over? Someone please help.:crying:

4. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    You're allowed stringing above recommended tension, however this voids warranty.

5. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    I shouldn't worry about it. The rec tension seems very conservative. Sounds like the stringer didn't hesitate :)

6. Jessu

Jessu New Member

bussiness
    what about 30LBS...?

7. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    FME most newer highend rackets in good condition (2U,3U,4U) can take 30lbs. You must count in the time of usage. I think more than 5 years of continues high tension jobs is IMO very difficult. You will get wear and tear and the material will become weaker, but generally it's possible if the stringer knows what he do. Did you ever seen magical collapsing of douzen rackets during international games? Nah - it's just a border set by manufacturer for warranty-issues, but if you don't know your stringers work, stay below this limit to avoid a bad surprise.

8. Aris

Aris New Member

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I work in a racket shop and string rackets well over the racket suggested amount and never had any issues. One thing to note is that if you do string higher I suggest keeping your racket in capable hands because amateurs tend to not mount the racket correctly and this could lead to warping while using high tensions. So always by a professional. Do yourself a favor on this one ;)

9. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    For those who track such matters, here's my list of racquets on which I have had 34lbs:
    (strung with various Yonex and Li Ning strings ranging from 0.61 to 0.80 thickness):

Yonex Duora 10
    Yonex Voltric 80 eTune
    Victor Legend ZJH (Zhao Jian Hua)
    Li Ning Razor RZ-95
    Li Ning X-1 Xiphos
    Apacs (Z-Speed clone)

Be warned that, in my experience, the average lifepsan of the stringbed is around 2 weeks.
    On mishits, the Razor RZ-95 has been the least tolerant while the Voltric eTune has been the most tolerant.

pepe54 likes this.
  10. Aris

Aris New Member

The Voltric eTune in your racket list I believe also has the lowest stiffness among other frames. Especially in the shaft. I think thats why it is the most tolerant of your selection.

Oldhand likes this.
  11. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

I agree it is a beautiful racquet, more so when it's made head-heavy.
    I had the stringer add not only the four 'tuning' pieces that came with the racquet but another four more as well.
    It is fantastic now.

Aris likes this.
  12. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

It happened again - and, yes, it's the Li Ning Razor RZ-95.
    :(

Attached Files:

bridgestone likes this.
  13. Bieffe

Bieffe Regular Member

Engineer
    It looks like it broke free! This is due to clashing right?

14. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Here is a little something to read and discuss regarding the everlasting discussion about string tension and resulting power (meaning shuttle speed):

https://ojs.ub.uni-konstanz.de/cpa/article/view/5682

Short summary: A lower string tension causes a higher shuttle speed right after impact than higher tension.

The basic idea and approach of the test is good, but I feel like they have missed a good opportunity do dig a lot deeper into that topic on a strictly scientific basis. Only judging the result based on the first millisenconds after impact is a bit short thought IMO. I expect that the shuttle will show different deformations with different tensions that should cause significant differences in the slow-down curves during the first 2-3 meters of flight. This might even overcompensate the small differences in shuttle speed right after impact making these values irrelevant when it comes to judging at which speed does the shuttle arrive in the opponent's half of the court. That's what makes the flight of a badminton shuttle completely different from a tennis ball.

15. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

From that study:

No s**t, Sherlock. :rolleyes:

Different players produce different racket head speeds. Without even testing with the machine at different speeds, the study is practically useless.

(...and of course, you also have the issue of humans != robots.)

16. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

>> Without even testing with the machine at different speeds, the study is practically useless.

Why?
    Would a 5% increase in racket head speed all of a sudden change the laws of physics and make the curves go the other way?
    The only thing you could hope to find, was that the trend would be more or less pronounced at different head speeds.

>> (...and of course, you also have the issue of humans != robots.)

Benefit, not issue - they're much better at this!

:)

----

The deformation argument S Mair mentions could be valid. Except I would assume, that if deformation was in fact an issue, deformation occurs due to acceleration of the shuttle and wind speed bending in the feathers. The more deformation, the less drag on the shuttle, thus any difference in speed would just become even bigger if measured over a longer stretch. Just as if you hit an old cheap plastic shuttle very hard, it fold in and fly like a rocket, until it regain it's shape and then "breaks" mid air.

17. TedOfNod

TedOfNod New Member

student
    I've been thinking: a soft string at a higher tension may be the perfect(?) setup for both power and touch shots. At the net, the string would act "hard" because the light touch would not be enough to flex the stringbed. A smash, however, WOULD provide enough force to flex it and use the full benefit of the trampoline effect.
    You know how, when you pull a hard string at a high enough tension, smashes and clears start to feel "planky"? So much effort is needed to get the power you want. Net shots are great, but smashing power goes right out the window. Then you ask people on the forums about it and the usual response is (say it with me): Lower your string tension.
    Then you do, but this makes the touch shots feel "spongy". So you end up trying to work around this "excellent string" with less than satisfying results.
    Contrary to popular opinion, I think a soft string might just be the answer to this problem.
    Has anyone else had a similar experience? Or the complete opposite? I'd love to hear your opinion.

18. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    We shouldn't deceive ourself. There are many other and more important reasons for higher tension than just power. Control, feel which lasts longer are to me more important than power. IMO the power department is overrated since years. A placed smash with steep angle outplays a powersmash with a bad placement and flat angle every time.

When we take acount that the engine has 450rpm, the racket bangs 7.5 shuttles per second if it goes round. Far away from the speed of a stroke executed by a human. At this speed the unity of shaft and stringbed is not given. I doubt that the shaft at this speed is bend and released for every hit. If the shaft is not matched to this superhuman speed, the results become useless and faulty.
    We also don't know the experimental setup. Everybody knows that the sweet spot at higher tension is very difficult to hit clean. Also the motion is important. The flick and rebound gives is a different motion than a simple engine. But we don't know the setup.

IMO this study had partnered with a club and measured the swing speed of different players at different levels to have a RL area of swing speed for scientific measurements. Then they could add 5 rackets at different dry head weight (38-43) and 5 different stiffness with their different tensions. I think that the conclusion wouldn't be such black and white. And we even missed the aerodynamics. Pretty one dimension study.

TedOfNod likes this.
  19. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

I guess some top players agree with you. There are still those who prefer a tight BG65. Soft string at high tension.

I got no clue if it is for the reasons you mention, or if they just want a thicker string to prevent breakage during matches.

TedOfNod likes this.
  20. kttcn

kttcn Regular Member

on the power and control bit, actually i always think that higher tension like 28+ give me a smash with a faster speed than those with lower tension like 25-
    i know that is contrary to the theory but not only i feel this way

Taufik Hidayat and peter gade say the same thing
    so is speed of the shot and power the same thing?
    any though?