Let's find out ideal grip size

Discussion in 'Grip' started by Jurethatsme, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Jurethatsme

Jurethatsme Regular Member

microbiologist
    That doesn't stop the quest for ideal grip because when someone would calculate the grip size which should be right for him, he would then make a choice how to reach this size - by putting 3 overgrips or just buying "one G smaller" handle and feel the wood. And of course, if he would prefer ticker handle he would just forget about the equation and this thread and he would say, ok I'm not in accordance with the population average. :) But I would like such guidance if I were a beginner...:)

2. Jurethatsme

microbiologist
    Did anyone play with different grip sizes (I mean play not try)? Which did you choose on the end and how big is your hand (see the first page)?

3. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    I've played with G5 with one overgrip, G5 with 2 overgrips, and G4 with one overgrip. The G5 with 2 grips, and the G4 with one are the best for me; I wear out the G5+1 grip quickly, and get blisters. I haven't measured my hand, but on a piano, my fingers stretch 10 keys, so....

4. Jurethatsme

microbiologist
    it's easy to measure your hand, see the first page... It would be interesting to know because I use 2 overgrips on G3 and before that I played with just one overgrip but didn't feel comfortable... Is it posible that two G3 handles are of different sizes on different racquets?

5. Jurethatsme

microbiologist
    I need your data to calculate the average grip size (according to the hand size of course). Please measure your hand size (see the picture in the first post) and the circumference of your racquet handle where you holds it. :)

6. Jurethatsme

microbiologist
    The grip size according to one post for now (thank to Jerby) would be:

Gs (grip circumference in cm) = h (in cm) × 0.74

where h is the size of your hand, measured as shown on the page 1 of this thread.

example: you measure your hand h = 12.2 cm ---> Gs = 9 cm ----> =~ G3 grip size!

Please report your grip sizes and the sizes of your hands to adjust the formula.

7. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    I guess this formula could be useful, but I do not believe this takes in account overgrip.

8. Jurethatsme

microbiologist
    Yes, it does. The result tells you which circumference of the handle could be suitable for your hand and then you can choose appropriate grip size and additional overgrips to obtain this circumference. For example, you get 9 cm from formula - this can you get by:
    G3 with original grip on and no overgrip or
    G4 with 1 to 2 overgrips or
    G5 with 2 to 3 overgrips (probably to much overgrips)
    So in this case I would choose G4.

I, personally, get from formula 8.5, so mine handle would be optimal with G4 or G5 with additional overgrips.

BUT: this formula is based on Jerbys data of HIS hand and therefore would be very useful to rich this data pool with YOUR measurements and your handle sizes, so the formula would be more statistically significant and widely useful!

9. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Is the formula a subtraction? It seems that way, but the way it's been presented looks confusing.

Also, I still do not quite believe that it does properly factor overgrip unless some more clarificaiton is needed. I bascially end up with a G2 if the palmn is measure at the bend line if the palmn wasn't bend, and G3 if it is. The other issue is, the G5, saids 2 to 3 overgrips, however I'm using G5 with 1 overgrip which suits me just fine

I believe some more clarification on the form of measure is needed.

#29 Matt, Aug 25, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2007
  10. Jurethatsme

microbiologist
    A subtraction? Sorry, I don't know what do you mean by that. It's simple:
    y = kx + n
    since there is only one (Jerby) who gave his data. Therefore, n becomes 0, so:
    y = kx
    k=0.74 (you can recalculate his data from page 1 by yourself), therefore
    Gs (grip size) = h (hand) × 0.74

I chose Jerby's data also because his choice of the grip size according to his hand size seems reasonable.

If someone would give his data, the formula would change to:
    Gs = h × k + n
    and it would be more reliable than in this one-data form. In current form you acctually get, which feeling Jerby like at his racquet (excluding softness and surface characteristics - just circumference)

You have to measure the circumference with your overgrip on, on ready-to-go racquet. You measure your palm like in the picture bellow (notice h).

Of course you don't have to put 2-3 overgrips on G5. I said that only for that example, where the calculation of Gs would be 9 cm (so your hand in this case must be 12.2 cm). If you use 1 overgrip on G5, I can assume that your hand size is approximatelly 11 cm, unless you prefer extremely thin grips...

I know, that some prefer big and some thin handles, but the choice of the grip size (handle size) depends on the gripping technique. If you want to use your finger power properly (see the picture) you should choose somewhere around h×0.75, but if you hold your racquet very firmly and full in the palm (like I did till now - no use of fingers but stronger use of forearm), you will choose bigger grip size like h×0.83 or more.

If you have some more questions, please, don't hesitate... I realy want to get this formula, but I need your data (hand size, circumference of your ready-to-go racquet and maybe you should tell, how do you hold your racquet - if you use your fingers like in the picture bellow or you hold it full in your palm)

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

11. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Ok thanks for the clarification. I will have the data later on in the afternoon since I have to go out very soon.

12. XtC-604

XtC-604 Regular Member

Store Manager
    11.5cm = hand measurement

grip circumference = 72mm aka 7.2cm (racquet 1)
    g4 sized grip, stripped to the wood then 1 layer of tournagrip
    grip circumference =11.2cm (racquet 2)
    g3 sized grip, stripped to the wood then 1 layer of supergrap

13. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

What would be the purpose of this data? I don't see it pointing out much else other than:

small hands - small grip
    big hands - big grip
    medium hands - medium grip

Coming up with these sorts of ergonomic relationships are really more for legislative purposes rather than actually optimizing the user-tool interface.

14. Pochacho

Pochacho Regular Member

11.5 cm
    Using Yonex G5 with 1 yonex strong grip.

Note: but I don't even know if G5 is suitable or not. Seems not much difference between G5 and G4.

15. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    My hand too is around 11.5cm as well, G5 with 1 babolat syntec. I would say, there is definately a difference between the G5 and G4, considering the girth differences is 3mm.

When I gotten a friend an Arc Saber in G4 and putting the same babolat syntec, it did not feel quite as confortable to me because my hand had the tendency to close my hand more (handling did not feel secure) but I could not because of the size.

#35 Matt, Jan 22, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  16. Pochacho

Pochacho Regular Member

Thanks, Matt.

I can tell myself now that I should not try G4 on my next racquet :)

17. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

G5 with one replacement grip ( karakal pu supergrip ) on wooden handle, 9.35cm.
    G4 with two overgrips directly on wooden handle. 9.25

I've been using about G3 for quite a while, but I quit doing that after I found it more comfortable with a smaller grip.

18. Ezekiell

Ezekiell Regular Member

ProGamer
    me = 14.1cm
    I need a big grip. Yonex G3 + medium to thick overgrip

19. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    me..G5 or G4,depends on which brand of racket am i using.As i know,apacs,kason's g4 isn't that big as the yonex's g4.

20. Ah_Shum

Ah_Shum Regular Member

Turbo Stringer
    G4 + white supergrap~