Let's conclude: China will take ALL the medals in the singles categories at OG 2012

Discussion in 'Olympics LONDON 2012' started by LD rules!, Jun 4, 2012.

1. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

With Lee Chong Wei injured and China being so dominant in the Woman's Singles event, I personally believe it to be realistic that China will take all medals available in the Singles events.

Firstly, I believe that LCW's injury has been underestimated. Realistically 3-4 weeks is not enough to recover from that type of injury. In my opinion and speaking from what I've witnessed in regards to similar injuries suffered from friends of mine resulting from different sports, I've seen similar ankle injuries taking between 6-10 weeks to be fully recovered and further time before them being fully confident that they are back 100%.

You can also look at Peter Gade as an example of ankle injuries and the recovery. His injury resulted in a couple of first round loses and withdrawlals. As well as a surprise exit at the European Championships

In order to be able to beat Lin Dan, you have to be more than 100% in order to beat him. Chen Long has also proven that he can beat LCW. And with Chen Jin having a bit more attack in his game recently, even he can beat LCW. Therefore I can't see LCW getting amongst the medals.

Therefore, with LCW and PG not being able to cope with the Chinese threat due to injury, there aren't many credible alternatives. Taufik and Simon can't cope, the Koreans could challenge but it's unlikely. There aren't really any challenges.

Woman's singles can speak for themselves. In fact I reckon that China could play Jiang YJ Li XR and Han Li and still win all medals. I don't think Saina is a credible threat, the Koreans can spring surprises but I don't think they can pull it off. The only possible threats of upsets in my opinion would be from the youngsters Tai TY and Ratchanok Inthanon. That's the only place I can see a possible challenge for China. Juliane Schenk is good but can she win? I don't think so.

2. Sevex

Sevex Regular Member

Academia, CFD/ wind engineering
    You have forgotten Tago in men's singles. I can see him being a threat to any of the China players on a good day. Not sure he would beat Lin Dan in major tournament mode but he might make him think or Chen Long at full power but Chen Long is vulnerable if not at full power. Chen Jin not to sure about. Can't see the Koreans beating the Chinese personally, unless Wan Ho Shon pulls off another great tournament performance. I see this as unlikely. Gade can still threaten Chen Jin, so can Taufik if he is on song.

Women's singles Tine Baun is a danger to all Chinese players, so are the youngsters. Schenk only if she is on form. Saina is a weird one, whenever I have seen her play against Chinese players she has lost badly, but she can beat them so who knows.

Personally I think Women's doubles is a safer gold medal bet than men's singles or women's singles, but not by much. Men's doubles, no idea, I'm just looking forward to a great Korea-China show down (PLEASE!!!!) and mixed I would love an Adcock-Bankier revenge on Zhang Nan and Zhao Yunlei, however unlikely :p

3. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

No doubt about it. I will not be surprised if China clean sweeps MS, MD, WS, WD, and XD. When comes to big events like OG, noone is more determined than the Chinese team. They are their own biggest enemies now.

4. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

MS: LD and CL, but not CJ. LCW will get silver again, CL bronze (having been beaten by LCW or "beaten" by LD).
    WS: Yes, to the point where it probably won't be worth watching - their WS squad is gratuitously strong.

I'll probably only bother with the XD and MD - WD is pretty much sewn up as well.

5. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Chen Jin changed his game up a bit, and of LCW isnt 100% I think he could be vulnerable to Chen Jin...

6. julianng

julianng Regular Member

Love your post mate, but I think you mean "walkover" instead of "beaten" there.;)

7. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

should the Gold medals, literally, be handed over to CHN's Singles squad (M & W) before the start of the OG?..;)

8. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    What if LD drinks too much water and need to withdraw like he did in Singapore last year? :D:D

9. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

i think the OP reckoned a clean sweep of medals for both MS and WS, i.e. gold, silver and bronze.
    way too optimistic IMO.

10. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

They should give the CHN singles players something else (like a rhodium medal) and tell them not to show up. Then everybody else can compete for the G/S/B.

A walkover in an Olympic semi-final... I don't think ANYBODY would believe that (unless CL actually got run over in London the night before).

11. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

Actually that is not such a bad idea as it is perfectly in alignment with the global GREEN initiative, less matches, less energy consumption, less CO2 emission.

12. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

Yeah; his little toe ... And playing against LD would obviously aggravate it.

edit:// And I don't think the men will be winning GSB in the singles.

#12 SolsticeOfLight, Jun 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  13. Miqilin7

Miqilin7 Regular Member

Student
    That is not realistic...one/two will not make it out of unfortunate events but that would spur the rest to step up their game and fight on..

14. jkkwongnz

jkkwongnz Regular Member

doctor
    I have the same feeling that LCW ankle injury has been under estimated. He may just get enough time to recover from the injury rather to recover to his pre-injury level. In my opinion, Chen Long is the biggest threat to LD for London olympics Gold medal at the moment. As a badminton fan I wish the see the final between Chen Long and Lin Dan if LCW can't make it to the final.

15. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

A CL/LD final would be interesting - would team orders come into play? I'm glad CL and LD aren't in the same half of the draw... but I think CJ and LD are. I see a(nother) p*ss-easy fixed match for LD...

16. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

the only certainty of the draw is LCW and LD will not be in the same half as no 1 & 2 seeds.
    All others will be in the draw inc CL & CJ.

17. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Three Chinese players in two halves of the draw... there will be a stitch-up no matter what, it seems:).

18. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

well what can you do? it took the rest of the world whole year tried to stop that happened.
    And China ended up with full quotas for all 5 events

19. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

If CL ends up opposite LD, I'm definitely having a fiver on him - 8/1 for gold medal is, I think, very generous. Same half as LD... I'll buy a couple of Chocolate Oranges instead.

20. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

for the WS event (or for that matter any event), i would be rather wary esp. for the younger players who've never played in an event as big as the OG (such as Tai TY, Ratchanok I.). The nerves & pressure could undo them...But at the same time, the saving grace for this yr's OG will be there won't be any elimination round right from the get-go. Thus should any of the younger players stumble (lose the 1 match), they'll get a chance to loosen up..