Left Rotator Cuff Tendonitis, Play with Right Arm?

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by BirdieDrop, Oct 9, 2019.

1. BirdieDrop

BirdieDrop New Member

I was recently diagnosed with left rotator cuff tendonitis. I saw a physiotherapist and she says I will need ultrasound therapy. At the appointment I forgot to ask her whether it is ok for me to play badminton. I'm right handed so I will be using my right side to play badminton. My question is whether it's all right to play badminton using my right arm while my left shoulder is injured? Have you ever been in this situation? Is it ok to continue to play on your good arm? Thanks in advance for your response!

2. wjsutanto

wjsutanto Regular Member

Professional Employee
    Hi mate, I'm also right handed and seems to have the same problem with you with my left rotator. I never got it checked to the doctor, and i can play just fine as it doesn't affect my play that much. However, my left rotator always feels hurt a little after playing for 3-4 games. Perhaps even though i use my left arm for balancing only, the tear on the tendon act up a little too.

But this is just my personal experience and I don't know how severe your injury is. I suggest you call your physio again and ask her to be safe and sure.

Cheers.

3. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

you need to ask yourself certain questions to do some really basic troubleshooting.

Bearing in mind that you are right handed.

does your left rotator cuff ever feel worse after badminton?

do you have any idea what might have caused your left rotator cuff issue?

do you have any ideas what exasperates it?

Think about what positions your left arm being in causes you pain. Does badminton involve it being in any of those positions?

4. steven8991

steven8991 Regular Member

I also suffer from rotator cuff injuries due to weight lifting, what make it worse is it occurs in my right hand and I am a right handed player.
    I can make a crack sound when I move around my right rotator cuff.

But so far when I play badminton, it doesn't affect me and I could just swing my arm normally. Well, maybe my rotator cuff injury is different than yours or mine is just a light injury.

Nevertheless, you should consult to your physio.

5. BirdieDrop

BirdieDrop New Member

Thank you wjsutanto, ralphz and steven8991 for your replies. I have been playing badminton for several weeks after my initial physio appointment. For the most, I don't feel any pain on my left shoulder. There was one time I must have moved my left shoulder in an awkward way while playing that it sort of hurt a bit. Otherwise, I feel no pain playing. My tendonitis was not caused by an exercise injury but rather from sleeping on that shoulder the wrong way. One day I just woke up with pain in my left shoulder.

So I had another physio appointment this past Monday. I asked my physiotherapist as well as the physiotherapy assistant whether I could play badminton with my right arm while my left shoulder was affected. They both said yes I can play. So I'm very happy about that.

steven8991: I suppose your injury doesn't cause any pain when you play? Maybe your injury is not as bad as mine. But to be safe you should get advice on whether you can play with the injured arm. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

wjsutanto: a tear sounds quite worrisome. I hope it heals soon.

6. Kikuhito Senshi

Kikuhito Senshi Regular Member

project manager
    Search YouTube for "pendulum exercises for shoulder". I had all sorts of shoulder problems and pendulum exercises cleared them all up. Save yourself a lot of money, too!

7. wjsutanto

wjsutanto Regular Member

Professional Employee
    Looks legit, I'll try it as soon as I can. Thanks mate!