Lee Zii Jia

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by undeadshot, Oct 7, 2018.

1. keithl

keithl Regular Member

software engineer
    Yes, LZJ is the fittest among the top players even the two new 20 years old can't match. What he needs is to play with more patience and composure.

nokh88 and WhiteStringJunkie like this.
  2. WhiteStringJunkie

WhiteStringJunkie Regular Member

I'd like to see him play the way he did during his successful All England run last year.
    I reckon that that's his best performance up to this day. He's so pumped up back then.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

3. keithl

keithl Regular Member

software engineer
    Also once you make it to the top your style of play and tendencies would be studied and scrutinized. Just like everyone now wants to take down Momota. LZJ needs to vary his shots a bit more, too many times, I could guess where he is going to hit next. The default lift could be mix with some cross court net. Perhaps learn some from LCW.

WhiteStringJunkie likes this.
  4. keithl

keithl Regular Member

software engineer
    If you recall, Momota used to bait opponents to play rally on his forehand side (left), down the line, and nobody was close to his accuracy. He won many points when the opponents made mistakes. LZJ broke his signature plays by getting behind his lift and cross court smash, leaving Momota flat footed. I think he changed his style of play for the Tokyo Olympics because he knew he could not count his old style to win against certain players.

#444 keithl, Mar 19, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2022
  5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Wasted - had Sen on the ropes, let Sen back in and then couldn't pull his tricks out for the final rallies.

6. keithl

keithl Regular Member

software engineer
    A bit impatient, a bit careless, perhaps affected by long grueling match the previous day. But he must persevere and overcome this to succeed at this level. Too many near misses. Looking at how the finals is going in now, you can see the only player that would consistently trouble VA is LZJ.

7. keithl

keithl Regular Member

software engineer
    One of the near misses, is the Tokyo Olympics, if he had beaten CL, I think he could have the gold medal. At this juncture, I would give LZJ an edge over VA, 6 - 4.

Sundis likes this.
  8. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    LS didn't win.
    LZJ lost.

9. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

Of course! I'm sure 100% that king Lee Zii Jia will win Lakshya Sen at the next meet.

10. mohans

mohans Regular Member

Mate, I burst out laughing. Let me try to put this in perspective.

LZJ lost in R16, that too with a lopsided g3 scoreline of 5-21, that too against someone who doesn’t play in a style that destroys opponents, at least not of late.

For the sake of discussion, let’s assume he went past CL. Next up would have been CTC. LZJ enjoys a dismal h2h of 2-5 against him, losing 4 consecutive encounters before Olympics.

Once again for the sake of holy discussion, let’s assume he went past CTC as well. Next up would have been ASG. H2H record was 0-3 leading up to Olympics. I mean LZJ never won a match against ASG.

Had he won all these matches, he would have been up against the current Olympic champion. Here again, LZJ has a -ve h2h record of 2-3 leading up to Olympics.

Based on the fact LZJ won his last encounter with VA before Olympics, don’t you think your statement is over stretch of an imagination, I mean at least by a teeny tiny bit.

Let’s go with your pretext that LZJ is favored to win over VA after the ‘21 AE win. Can you please comprehend why did he lose to VA again in Denmark, just a couple months after Olympics?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sumanth99, justforfun and Woesi like this.
  11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

He really wasn’t up there. I like his facial expression and looking a bit cocky but to be honest, his decision making during periods of the match just goes up and down.

12. terrynguyen121988

Of course! the world ak 7 billion people in the world owned king Lee Zii Jia a gold medal in Tokyo 2020.

13. keithl

keithl Regular Member

software engineer
    Let's discuss this rationally. First of H2H are not a good measure for a young improving player against established opponents on the tour. If LZJ were to go by that measure, there would be no way for him to have beaten all the top 10 players, namely VA, CTC, Momota, AA, CL, SYQ, ASG, JC, ... who else? If he were to have gotten past CL in Tokyo Olympic, I had no doubt he could beat CTC, just see how played in the AE semi yesterday and tell me that you won't give the edge to LZJ. Same for the other players in his path who had already reach their top potential. Think of another person that VA would rather not play over LZJ...Honestly.

14. keithl

keithl Regular Member

software engineer
    I agree his decision making could do some improvement. Let's hope with all the recent out of court setup and politics he had to go through, I hope he can now settle down and focus on the games. My bet is still on LZJ. If you look back, who had defended AE trophy, ie winning AE consecutively, you have to go far back. I think he did okay in this tournament. I think he went all out in Momota's match and affected the next match, this is part of pacing and decision making hope he gets better over time. You win the battle but lost the war.

15. mohans

mohans Regular Member

I don’t feel you’re making a rational argument, rather an instinctive statement. I still get a sense LZJ’s win over VA last year in Birmingham clouds your judgement.

Let me try again a little differently. Given LZJ had some form of recent success over VA, and KM. There are multitudes of reasons you can offer for that. The one I like to offer is- LZJ considers himself an underdog and goes all out against these two. That approach has yielded has yielded him some success. In a multi-nation tournament, I agree having some form of success over the top 2 can put you as a title contender, IF and only IF (those are two big IFs) you’re favored to win the rest of the field. I have shown you data that he is not favored to win those based on the recent/overall h2h records. That’s the rational argument I’m trying to make.

In fact, LZJ was favored to win against CL in Olympics based on their then h2h record. However, he squandered even that opportunity. Doesn’t it all sum up that he didn’t deserve to go any further in the last Olympics?

At last, let me leave you with a hypothetical question to ponder. Had LS won VA today, is he the favorite to win WC if it happens next month?

Sumanth99 likes this.
  16. terrynguyen121988

with the word "if":

If Momota was not in this car, he and Viktor would played the final match in Olympic

Do you really think that Lee ZJ will surpass Chen Long, Momota (without accident) and Viktor in row ???

and with "if"

If Momota was not in this car and Ginting could play All England 2021

Do you really think Lee Zii Jia can win the cup in 2021 ???

Funny.

You shuold remember that Lee Zii Jia has a lucky draw when he just meet Mark
    CALJOUW ranking 58 in semi-final while Viktor has a tough match against to Antonsen.

#456 terrynguyen121988, Mar 20, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2022
  17. mohans

mohans Regular Member

If you haven’t noticed, CTC has been playing like all along, or even slightly worse. All the while he is been enjoying that healthy h2h against LZJ

Ugh, did LZJ lose to ASG, who happens to be way past his prime in the last year’s Thomas cup? That sounds disheartening.

Heard of KM? You may try explaining LZJ’s Denmark open loss in the context of your question

18. mohans

mohans Regular Member

Sure, same way it affected VA in the last year’s AE final. Agree?

Sumanth99 and terrynguyen121988 like this.
  19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I haven't properly counted but you seem to be the person who uses "king" the most.

20. keithl

keithl Regular Member

software engineer
    I ignore the guy that uses 'king' as a backhanded compliment.

WhiteStringJunkie likes this.